Nats 2013 chat, pics etc...

I think the BMFA should rename the event "The Nationals, a celebration of flight". No issue with retailer presence, got all my hardware and a few extras with final looksee tomorrow . Highlights for me an IMAC demo by Luke, Saturday night free flight, CL combat and the pure fun of the hangar flying. That said there was not a flightline that you'd walk past without stopping to watch. Dissapointments were the bar running out of proper beer by Sunday and not bringing a model tp fly in the hangar. Well done to the BMFA hangar and all who make it happen happen.. !!!!!

Advert

Well i have decided not to put my pics on, as David and Chris have more or less cracked it and done the whole thing justice . it was an enjoyable day ,it was nice meeting you David . and received my FING from a very nice RCM&E lady ..I have to say the jets were awesome ,as was the fighters from the 14/18 war .bit disappointed the BBMF Dak didn't arrive but hey ho that's life..cheers Bernie.

Edited By Bernie on 26/08/2013 16:46:02

Nice meeting you too Bernie. Yep, another great weekend, I seemed to spend all my time just chatting but that's what it's all about as much as anything.

Allan, sadly the Corsairs collided - one was on the runway and was struck by the other who had just touched down but was still moving at some speed, this was the unfortunate result.

corsair-clash.jpg

Well - another Nats has been and gone! And very enjoyable it was too.

Over the weekend I spent quite a while at the Scale Line and also at the IMAC. Always fun to watch the C/L stuff, combat and team racing. Free flight was the usual mayhem - despite a token effort by the organisers to inject some order! The Display Line was as polished as ever.

I don't know about the trade being depleted - it seemed OK to me. Well there might have been a few missing, but I think many of them were accounted for by "other reasons"! Anyway I managed to get all the bits and pieces on my list.

Weather for the flying was OK - but in the evenings it was awful - with continuous heavy rain from 4:00pm Saturday to 3:00am Sunday for example!

Met loads of old friends - and a few "old" ones I hadn't actually met face-to-face before; including Tony and Alwyn!

So, all-in-all - very sucessful! Here's to next year!

BEB

What a cracking 3 days we had, great to meet up with different folk.

For me the Nats is not about the showline, as good as it may have been I just didn't find the time to get up that far, I can pop up to Weston Park for that. 

What doesn't seem to be mentioned as much is everything else that is going on around at Barkston. I got to watch a lot of the UK's best at their partcular disciplines, no fancy £20 000 aircraft but back to our roots aeromodelling.

Seeing those mad fools doing the stunt CL/ team racing or the young kids doing perfect landings onto a make shift carrier deck, 200mph pulse jets to high speed pylon racing. Then there was the funflying, aerobatics,scale (both RC, CL and free flight), RC aerobatics plus the heli stuff. I don't think 3 days is long enough!

My favourite bit was in the hanger on the evenings. Watching 20-30 children knocking pints out of grumpy old mens hands with their chuck gliders and newly made rubber powered models that had been constructed in the day. They were loving it!

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 26/08/2013 22:49:09

Posted by Richard Harris on 26/08/2013 23:11:00:

Not the easiest of things to video so it isn't great but I heard them mention 201 mph after this flight.

They certainly aren't, are they! (and I speak from experience.)

I don't know if that's the same jet, but a jet nearly set a new record at 218mph. Unfortunately on checking the lines were found to be 35mm too short, so the flight was disallowed, and the true speed would have been slightly slower anyway. On the correct lines it made 204mph in colder, damper conditions. That info comes from one of the F2A flyers who was there.

They were also chatting about a mono line for the pulse jets and a double line for the IC speed, not sure how a mono line works? They certainly seemed to be able to chop the throttle on IC models after their run.

I did speak to one of the IC speed competitors and he was explaining how he makes his single aluminium wings, he also made his own carbon fibre props. 4 hours to lay it up and cure and 10 hours to finish it off by hand, I didn't realise they only had one blade. It was really interesting talking to these chaps.

Rich

Got back yesterday from a truly great show!

We met loads of friends, made some new ones, drank beer, flew in the hangar (helis, planes and rubber power too!), drank more beer, heckled the Whittaker-Dorling Combo, mavelled at the scale line, winced at the pulse jet,

Great to see everyone!

tim and Netty

I know I'm late posting, but I have only just recovered! lol

Was as always an excellent show, Met up with Graham and David annd had a good natter, especially with David about the Wot4 Xtreme, very interesting. Met up with Nigel Hawes having a much needed cup of tea!!! wink 2 and Chris the Mod I believe?

Spent a forune as is normal, although on something a bit special this time, I got my 1/3 scale Albatross DV from the Dawn Patrol, thanks to David T, Pat and Simon and the others whos names I don't yet remember but I'm sure I will in time, some very interesting chats with those guys.

Then there was the guy who now owns Nexus (sorry name block again), whata knowledable and very helpful bloke, walked out with a very nice Spectrum Powerbox receiver, aerofoil ali tube and a big dent in the old wallet.

And this time I had to make a delivery to a stall there, now theres a first!

The 3d printed pilots were very interesting and again very helpful people.

All in all a very good show, really enjoyed it, one day I'll be allowed to stay overnight

Here's to next year....

• 1 month later...