How long does it take to get to your flying site?

From a suggestion rec'd. Although the suggestion was 'how many miles away is your main flying site' I changed this to 'how long' as traffic may play a part in some journeys. 

My main site is 15 miles away so a 35 min cross country drive, normally. The nearest slope site is 20 miles away and again, 35 mins as part is via motorways.

Be interesting to see who has the longest journey.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 15/10/2013 09:20:10

Just for the drive (12 miles), between 20 to 30 min. but if you include getting SWMBO's permissionwink, loading the car, making the sandwiches ,filling the flask etc more like an hour,

If I get round to re-starting slope soaring that comes down to 5 min drive or 15 min walk.

Edited By Mowerman on 15/10/2013 09:20:56

Edited By Mowerman on 15/10/2013 09:49:58

Less than 10 mins for me, Very luck as I know exactly what the weather is going to be like at the field. I would hate to live further away as some of the lads that have a 30+ minute travel sometimes get to the field and it's too windy for them (fair weather flyers) and they say their's not even a breeze where they live.

baz

I am lucky in Cornwall I can fall out the door and have a decent slope to fly, but a 25minute drive gets me to St Agnes, one of the best slope sites in the country.

Power site is also a 25min drive away. Interestingly as I remember it, despite having moved around the country a lot, there has always been a flying site about 25 mins away!.

My main club is 2 miles away, on the opposite side of town, so traffic can change the journey time and some people to complain about it but to me anything less than 15 minutes, traffic or not, is a good thing.

Still doing some slope soaring and have a few sites within 40-60 minutes but it's 2.5 hrs from house to the Gt Orme (for example) which means some planning is necessary!

Oh, just noticed that puts me in a similar position to Frank.

I can fly small (robust) electric aeroplanes or powered gliders off the track outside or in the neighbours fields when not in crop. My club site is about 13 miles away on top of the 'Causse' (plateau) but it takes a good 1/2 hour of winding small roads to get there. I live in a valley which has quite different weather to that on top here in the Lot department of France.

Often I leave home in calm conditions only to arrive at the strip with a good gusty wind blowing which in Summer is often caused by thermic conditions occurring when the air in the valley heats up so it's also difficult to predict wind direction as it varies considerably during any flight!

Terry

Open door. Walk to bottom of garden. Go into field and fly . Weather and sheep permitting.

I'm really, really lucky. Also local club is 2 miles away and has a lot flatter field. Looks like i'm going to be local weather spotter for those who have to travel a fair distance.

Only problem is it can be very windy (and wet) at times (like about 80%).

kevinb.

My nearest power flying site at the right time of day is a less than 10 min easy drive, can even regularly be done non-stop.

However, there are times of day when it would take SO long that you'd be a lunatic to try unless it was life or death, and half your clutch lining would be gone by the time you'd fought your way there if you did!

Hmmm, quads, helis and foamies I can hover - 5secs. Take off from the garden and fly over the sports pitch behind the house.

Small planes - 1min, I have to walk round the side of the house to get to the sports pitch.

Club field - 10mins

Indoor site - 5mins

Slope site - 20mins

The club also has another field 20mins away.

I know - I'm very spoilt!!!!