How long does it take to get to your flying site?

Advert

Less than 10 mins to Epsom Downs for power flying for me (I thought I recognised Mike's name from somewhere!) and a little over 10 mins for my nearest slope (Colley Hill.) But for slope soaring when the wind isn't between SE and SW it's an hour or more depending on which of the South Downs slopes I end up at.

Irony for me. I can fly in a field 30 mtrs from my work place. That takes less than 1 minute walking. thumbs up But it's in a valley, with trees on two sides, so very dependant on wind direction for non scary landings! teeth 2

Otherwise I go to Little Haldon (grid ref SX 91463 76417) which is a 14 mile drive including going through the western bits of Exeter so it can be slow going at times. Any other sites are further, so I go much less often.

Posted by Martin Harris on 15/10/2013 17:32:36:

Less than 20 minutes to get back in the car, go home and get back to the flight line when I forget something essential!

Not that I've ever forgotten anything - honest!

Hahaha! teeth 2 embarrassed I'm laughing with you Mart, not at you.

I have forgotten not only wings once, but twice all my flight batteries!! Facepalm! And no, I didn't go back, just spectated for a while and drank my coffee and ate my biscuits. ( you can detect my priorities quite easily can't you? )

Well the club is 30k away, drive time 30min, so i mostly fly from my own paddocks. That means mowing regularly of course. I have a windsock on the cow yards, but no tea making facilities. On the other hand when I forget something or, break a prop on one of those pesky tussocks, it's a wonderful excuse to drop back up to the house for refreshment. There's a slope used by kiters a couple of k's away, but I haven't done any model soaring for yonks, maybe I'll go try it sometime.

Paul.

I said 10-20 mins as that's how long it takes me to cycle up there with mine and my brothers heavy trailer (not sure how heavy but you certainly know where the hills are!!!) full of up to 7ish planes!!!! it even has a built in spares/odds and sods draw.

its dual perpose at home serving as a hanger and when we want to go flying we wheel it out connect it to the bike and off we go. its got everything we need it in, it even has a charging pack to run my charger. you name it and its probably in there.......somewhere!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm lucky to be within 15 minutes of my local field that I tend to use during the week (15 mile round trip), although I do have an hour's drive to my preferred weekend venue. So that's a lttle under a gallon of diesel either way or around twelve quid's worth of fuel. Transport costs are rarely considered when we add up the money spent on the hobby and for myself represents several hundred pounds annually......... makes me laugh when people moan about BMFA costs or a few quid added to club subs.

K.

• 2 months later...

I have a handy 35 acre public playing field nearby for parkflyers, but surrounded by high trees. If I pick my times, I get the place to myself more or less - except for dog walkers. It's also used for football though. So, for half the year it gets churned up and risky for take-offs unless you've got 2.5" wheels minimum.

I'm planning a move up to Lincolnshire where there are LOADS of flying clubs and old RAF airfields - whoopee! I've discovered a really peach site nearby, set deep in rural farmland - at the newly formed Sandhay club. Wonderfully graded, flat and grassed, and virtually no trees! i checked it out last week and it's like a bowling green...

..so looking forward to spending most of the Summer out there.