The Perfect Storm

scott finnie

Advert

IT was pretty calm here in Suffolk until about an hour ago. Just had a really strong gust and horizontal rain onto the front of the house.

I have the pleasure of living on top of a hill, facing west and nothing in front of me for at least 12 miles, well, that is as far as I can see,! I get the full force of teh westerly gales.

Nothing like 87 anyway.

Colin, all weather reports are generated from models that the Met Office collect. The Met Office then do the weather reports on t'beeb or for local stations thereafter. If another weather station has got it more accurately then they probably got lucky as everyone uses the same single source - the Met Office.

Rather wild overnight, it's calmed-down a little now, though still rather breezy. Doesn't seem to be any damage around here though. I was on holiday in California in 87 so can't make any comparison to that storm! I'm going to try and get to work soon. Trains are supposedly restarting from around 9am...

My caravan was broadside on to the wind here in SE Kent, 2 miles from t'coast and it was moving around quite a bit. The noise woke me at around 3.30 so I just went inside (it's where I store all my modelling stuff) and several of the models have been thrown around in there quite significantly, my J60 has mounted my extrawot so god knows what'll become of that chance encounter cheeky

David, I would ring back and ask for the Manager, if they give you no joy ask them for the name of their area manager.  Your main issue is proof.  Unless the sign is imbedded in your car door it'll be tough if they push for proof.

CAB, in my experience, are as usefull as a chocolate fireguard.

Edited By John F on 28/10/2013 11:30:31

Thank you John I did hear a crash bang early oh but when I looked out could not see a thing.

If I ring Insurance that will start a claim even if settled by the Estate Agents, as a good will token, but I ask how long do I await a call back.

The sign has been moved I had to move the car to get Andrea safely to work and on time.

My excess will probably cost almost as much as the repair so...

David sad

Dragged out of bed at about 6am as garden gates had blown open and needed to be be relocated. Went back to bed with a cup of tea and IPad to check on a 747 that had just gone over on the way to Heathrow. Out of curiosity checked Flight Radar 24 to see the airspeed of aircraft out to the west of the UK. Loads of them at 650 - 680 mph but surprised by a United Airlines 767 doing 701 mph to the east of Newfoundland!

Posted by Miketgd on 28/10/2013 22:10:35:

Out of curiosity checked Flight Radar 24 to see the airspeed of aircraft out to the west of the UK. Loads of them at 650 - 680 mph but surprised by a United Airlines 767 doing 701 mph to the east of Newfoundland!

Airspeeds ? - Mach 1+

Posted by PatMc on 28/10/2013 23:03:28:
Posted by Miketgd on 28/10/2013 22:10:35:

Out of curiosity checked Flight Radar 24 to see the airspeed of aircraft out to the west of the UK. Loads of them at 650 - 680 mph but surprised by a United Airlines 767 doing 701 mph to the east of Newfoundland!

Airspeeds ? - Mach 1+

It is Groundspeed that shows on FR24. Being a technical idiot I am easily impressed by big numbers! Now realise that Airspeed would be significantly slower. Checked FR24 again today and many aircraft visible with high ground speeds.

My garden and my r/hand neighbours have another neighbours garden crossing the end of ours. Right in the corner of the three fences, my r/hand neighbour has/had an old fruit tree, 15 ft high and 11inches across the trunk at ground level. The wind blew it down and as luck would have it it missed my workshop and the shed in the garden crossing ours and came to rest on the wire fence just making it lean a bit. Ironically I had permission to cut it down as it was getting rotten and I didn't want it falling on my workshop!! It never got done due to being too busy since September even though I had prepared new wooden panels and fence posts so a lucky escape for the workshop and new fence. 10 degrees one way and my workshop would be damaged and 45 degrees the other way and the other neighbours shed would have been demolished.

John

Edited By John Tee on 29/10/2013 19:37:20