RCM&E / Greenacres June 2014 fly-in - chat thread

Well disaster struck this morning, conditions were a tad windier than perfect when I 1st arrived and had got slightly worse by the time I came to take my test. Nevertheless I put in a reasonable performance through the right hand circuit, figure 8 and left hand circuit and had her nicely lined up on the runway all be it to the far side, for a landing prior to take of and dead stick, so all but 80% through it and getting positive comments from the examiner, when I got caught out by a gust of wind which I did not react to fast enough causing a nasty wallow a slip sideways over long grass ripping the nose wheel of. End of play for the day !!! angry 2 !!!.

On the positive side the examiner did say that had she been fit to fly he would've let the out landing go, provided I'd been able to repeat the landing in a more orthodox manner and gone on to complete the dead stick to a good standard, as the wind was probably the cause and he himself felt almost anyone would've got caught out by that, small consolation, still that was at 12:00 and at the time of writing the damage is repaired and another opportunity is there on Wednesday evening now I intend to get even with the weather LOL

Advert

Posted by Masher on 14/06/2014 08:01:39:

For those who went last year, apart from wet weather gear what else did you wish you had taken with you but didn't? Not having camped for about 30 years, I've got out of the swing a bit. I'll have my Leatherman knife (if that's aloud!) and some bog roll so can't think of anything else apart from planes and RC gear!

PS Go for it WF!

Edited By Masher on 14/06/2014 08:02:19

................................................................................................................................................................

going off my past visit's/camping......I would consider going to sleep with one eye open....especially on the sat night when the refreshments have been flowing....and the like's of weasel, young Asher's and co are on the loose.....you've had fair warning...... teeth 2

ken Anderson ne..1 ...... fair warning dept.

Thanks Colin and James I do tend to agree a gust from nearly right angles to my approach path, which was into wind does seem like bad luck but it wasn't the 1st in the flight and I should've been more aware, Still we make our own luck? Hence my determination to better the situation on wednesday.

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 15/06/2014 21:13:35:

Just one of those things Phil, at least you now know what to expect so the nerves should abate and it will be a walk in the park next time, look forward to you joining us on the flight line next weekend. Linds

Second that. Second time round, you now know much more. Hopefully the same examiner so you will be more relaxed.

yescake

Thanks Cymaz. Not the same examiner but this one I know quite well and have flown on one occasion with him on the Buddy box (mock test) so have a good idea what to expect of him, ie how accurate the flight needs to be, also attended his Stag do 6 weeks ago so there's an opportunity for black mail devil (as if) just need to say "Nice star" but that's another story LOL and not one for this forum surprise now back to re-reading CAP 658 etc

Posted by Erfolg on 16/06/2014 19:30:45:

I have just printed out a copy of my BMFA membership from and the "A" cert.

I am hoping that whoever needs to be satisfied with respect to the documents required will accept these?

That sounds fine Erfolg, if it shows you are a current BMFA member and that you have an A cert, that's all that's required.

Posted by Masher on 17/06/2014 08:23:39:

Surely, just your membership card is enough?

that's all I've used at Greenacres, though if you have only just achieved a cert which hasn't yet been added to the card you would need the pink slip too.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 17/06/2014 08:40:50

Panic over!

It was underneath Dale Tattam's 1/5 scale plan of the Sopwith One-and-a -Half-Strutter. No wonder I couldn't find it!

It's gong straight into the black lever arch file which contains all of my important aeromodelling stuff including my A Certificate.

Never could get motivated to taking the B.