Lifespan of Radio equipment @ 35Mhz gear...?

Was wondering if there was a "safe" age when flying under BMFA insurance and other factors should you keep using older equipment?

Although 35mhz is good, older equipment may be a risk due to age, even though physically it might be in good condition. Now 35Mhz isn't being replaced with newer stuff, due to being obselete - mainly suppliers not supporting the protocol, is it wise to keep using really old equipment, as older it gets, more possibility of it breaking down.

The reason why I'm raising the subject, as I was this afternoon setting up a GeeBee on a previously good Futaba 138DP dual Conv Rx and was running the engine, deciding the plane will probably crash, so using a temp 35mhz setup (and had no 2,4 rx spare) would fly it.

However, I turned off turned on, did the controls, and the rx stopped working - just like that. The engine went to full power and had no way of stopping it.

When I took the rx out, it was dead - as I tried another 35mhz one and battery, etc ok. Needless to say, I won't be using any more old stuff again.

Any person agree or disagree?

Advert

Well, it's not isolated. Over the past few months, I've found that some other rx's were packing up, just going dead.

Now I have 2 GWS 8ch rx's dead, a JR Apex rx and a couple of Futaba ones go. One of the xtals was faulty, but found on the GWS, both the Xtal and Rx had given up the ghost. Luckily, all finds were on the bench, not in the air.

Most of my 35mhz are still working, probably less than 5% have died, but having a 5% chance of the radio failing due to that I think is taking a risk.

I can't do things when I was 15 - being in the gym team then. We all start to wear out, things drop off and can't start in the morning!blush

paul

I heard of a 2.4 rx that failed should we stop using them ?

should we stop flying airframes over 5 years old ?

how many use 2.4 rx's that have been in crashed models ?

responsibility to fly safe lies with the individual, not the bmfa or our insurers.

I can guarantee you one thing though, the same folk who where blaming 35megz for their crashes, are now blaming brown outs or loss of bind etc.

I have no concerns about 35 megz myself,

"deciding the plane would probably crash" then attempting to fly it does concern me though.

The plane is a 120 size Gee Bee. It's all structually sound, but not the most forgiving aircraft to fly. Also it was bought from a swopmeet, where someone had put it in, although minor damage, such as spats, firewall and cracked cowl.

I will still use 35mhz, but will make sure everything's 110%, although you should do it for 2.4.

quote: "responsibility to fly safe lies with the individual" - that's what I mean, you can see a defect in a airframe, but older rx's have more componants that can fail. Capacitors dry out and don't work as well as when they are made.

I don't want this to go in a slanging match (35 vs 2.4), just want to know how people perceive using older equipment. For example you wouldn't use reed sets in a rc model now. Would you?

Paul, although I have upgraded to 2.4 I still use my Futaba F16 Tx's, mainly for training. They and their Rx's are still working fine after 20 years. They are on their third or fourth batteries and are checked for range a few times a year. Yes they are more likely to fail as they get older, but no more so than brand new equipment. Electrics tend to be most reliable in the middle of their lifespan.

Graeme

Also switches and batteries come under age. Just replaced a lead on a switch which was giving a high resistance - which I'm going through my older models now. Usually servos last years, but occasionally one goes.

Luckily I noticed the bad switch. The servos kept pausing, thought the battery was low, but although not been charged for a few months was 90% full (non-low discharge vapex battery). So battery ok, switch repaired and giving full voltage under load at the rx end.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 02/01/2014 13:41:17:

Was wondering if there was a "safe" age when flying under BMFA insurance and other factors should you keep using older equipment?

Age of equipment is irrelevant for the purpose of insurance and in fact, if a totally unforeseeable fault were to cause an accident it's quite likely that there wouldn't be the basis of a claim against you so the insurance would not cover you - it only covers against claims where you are at fault. Knowingly using equipment that you know or suspected to be faulty would definitely contravene the ANO if you were flying a > 7kg model though.

I don't think it is so much the age of the equipment that is the issue but where and how it is stored. Years ago I kept my Tx (Fleet) in my garage with my aircraft, so it should have come as no surprise when I discovered corrosion on the main circuit board. I learnt my lesson and duly replaced the Tx with a more up to date system but I wonder how many modellers in the UK still keep their radio gear in cold damp workshops and garages during the wintertime? Perhaps there should be a poll!

Posted by Martin Harris on 02/01/2014 17:28:45:

Knowingly using equipment that you know or suspected to be faulty would definitely contravene the ANO if you were flying a > 7kg model though.

Martin, I think that applies to any model irrespective of weight.

I did consider that , Pat, before posting (and why I used the word "definitely" ) but with a >7 kg model the legal responsibility is to reasonably expect the flight to be completed safely whereas if you aren't actually endangering a person or aircraft with a smaller model there's no offence committed.

I'd guess interpreting subjects like this is why the legal profession are able to make the money they do...

Edited By Martin Harris on 02/01/2014 18:12:40

Posted by Flite08 on 02/01/2014 19:51:25:
Posted by Paul Marsh on 02/01/2014 14:56:59:

For example you wouldn't use reed sets in a rc model now. Would you?

Err.. well.. yes

Actually there seems to be a "new" class of RC models aimed at old pre digital / proportional equipment. There's lots of people talking about it.

You could say freeflight power models should be banned as there is no control over them (other than preflight trimming) whatsoever !

kevinb.

I think this is a fairly straightforward issue, as long as you have taken all reasonable steps to ensure the equipment you are using is fit for purpose and continued use then there is no problem. In other words if your equipment passes its range check and inspection shows no developing faults then it is fit to fly.

Remember all this old kit is assembled with old fashioned through-hole technology and good-old lead based solder, apart from black wire syndrome this gear will probably last longer than modern SMD/lead free technology.

Equipment can fail at any time, new or old. This is the bathtub failure curve, if it does not fail early in its cycle life then it will continue to work for a long period of time, it is difficult to predict when the curve will start to climb.

Shaunie.