Phoenix update

Glenn Stratton

Advert

I find the models really slow with sluggish controls. Good for total beginners but I doubt its realistic.
I only have 15% expo on my handset and everything flies like its on very low rates.
The Hawk is very slow to do anything even adjusted to advanced. On version 4 it was uncontrollable without some rates. I like to use Duel rates as I think it will be good practice for me to play around with them.

Not just the multiplayer...I just tried selecting the F16 and it instantly blows the program away. OK, I admit it, I was going to try the underwater flying thing again to see if they had fixed that. Obviously it won't work with the F16 now, but it still works with the A10...however the behaviour has changed a bit. The rudder used to work quite well for steering in the water, now it doesn't.

I haven't tried the multiplayer with k, but with j last night I found I could not join any sessions. Maybe being down under it thinks my lag is too long? I was able to start a session OK but nobody joined it.

I've also been trying the Sopwith Camel with each version. With V4 I never used to have any luck flying that, maybe fluke one landing in ten. Of course if the model is true to the behaviour of the original that might be quite realistic. With V5 I can fly and land it just as well as anything else...however with 5.0.k it does seem to have acquired an interesting wing dropping habit that I have never noticed before.

John

I've updated my desktop machine, but not my laptop, so I have the option of either. So if you have it on two machines you could consider that for an option. So far the things I have encountered are mostly just oddities, apart from the F16 one acting as an instant kill for the program.

When I play on the laptop, I plug it into my sons 40 inch TV in the lounge and get a good widescreen view.

John

Posted by crispin church on 05/03/2014 16:26:59:

5 K not bad but still no autogyros sad

I asked and was told that ALL the so called add-on download models, inc autogyro and the tilt rotors and even things like the Cessna 182 are currently put to one side until the program is sorted, then will be re-added at the end

Cessna 182 and some others now available for download and so it V5i.

Trying now, first thing I notice is that the Flight Info box now correctly shows whether the undercarriage is up or down. Just need the same for flaps and be starting to feel a lot happier.

Risky business being a test pilot, eh?teeth 2

I must say I'm very grateful to all you chaps, tearing your hair out on everyone's behalf to get it working, but if it's all the same with you, I think I'll wait for V6 - shouldn't be long.......wink 2

Pete

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 05/03/2014 21:02:22:

Risky business being a test pilot, eh?teeth 2

I must say I'm very grateful to all you chaps, tearing your hair out on everyone's behalf to get it working, but if it's all the same with you, I think I'll wait for V6 - shouldn't be long.......wink 2

Pete

Hmm, you have a point sadsmile

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/03/2014 00:10:24:

Can someone PM me when they reach V5z? It might be working by then!

Not impressed with the story so far I have to say. sad

BEB

SUMMATION OF CURRENT STATE (based on 5.0l (thats an L, BTW, getting near halfway to "Z"

It is my opinion purely as a user that after many many often frustrating hours testing and lots and lots of reporting to them of items found that making the free update switch to v5.0 is now practical, as long as:-

1. You are prepared to lose the use of all existing flight envelope variants. Add on graphics and sites do still work, but not model variants.

2. You can live without the Scale Wizard till they get around to replacing it.

That is not to say it's now otherwise perfect, it isn't, but my opinion is that it is now good ENOUGH to make the transition and that they now NEED a wider base to give feedback to get the final anomalies of certain conditions or hardware sorted.

Unless you are a 3D modeller or "content creator" you will not see much change if any, but to be fair to them, remember this is a facilitation update to be able to go on to "do" more than the software used on v4.0 would have allowed.