Spring is here - what is stopping you from flying?

Weather men, what do they know? Diddley squat it would appear. Today was so much colder, no sun, no blue sky. Thankfully hardly any wind.

I started my preparations for the fieled a little later than is usual for a Sunday. I made a bold decsion, just three models, my Messerschmitt, which refuses to fly, just on e issue after another. My Clean Seep vee tailed and my now trusty Nobler.

As I prized my models out of the modelling room, the better half noticed my PC hanging up. Not seen that before. Oh, I have had it for ages, I said. Then added, just like your dresses. So you have just bought it, then. No!, I have had it for ages.

After yesterdays Flieger Fest, I expected as many modellers at the field, not today it seems. Making my way to the field now troubles me. The road has just been surfaced, from a pot holes track of about a miles length, now mostly smooth macadam. Given that so many people seem to believe that only they could be possibly travelling the road, there is no need for caution, just the pedal to the metal, and they will be soon home, to do nothing. So far so good though.

So how did the Messerschmitt go, it did not. This time the test pilot just managed to avoid a crash, as the battery moved back. The last crash had damaged the lipo, so I replaced it with a Lipo from another model, where the lipo was wedged in. Oh dear, the anti slide velcro strip was missing from this pack. I do wonder if I will ever get it right.

My CS, would not take of the grass it is to long. Needing to be hand launched. Now has one bussing servo, one wheel seized on the axle by grass wrapped around it. Yet more maintenance required.

Thank god my Nobler just flew without any complaint, perfectly mannered.

The other flyers were just relaxed, chilled, it would seem. A grounded jet helicopter, most sanguine. Perhaps most notable was a DF, HS Harrier and a particular nice DH110.

At lunch i just slopped of home, thankful not to have wrecked anything.

Edited By Erfolg on 04/05/2014 17:10:25

This afternoon was blue sky with an unpredictable light wind with thermic gusts but the best we've had for a long time so after an English brunch the wifey person and me went to the strip! No-one there when we arrived and I decided to bind the Seagull Spacewalker E over to my DX9 as the DX8 file had already been imported. Yes I could have done it at home - I know because wifey person told me!

Using an old 4.8v flight battery from my Tx case that I keep to 'mess around with' I tried to bind the Rx to the DX9. What a palaver - it would bind but the control surfaces wouldn't react properly - jittery - slow etc and the Rx went from steady light to flashing. Discretion dictated back to the DX8 and all went fine - two lovely flights. Quite a changed aeroplane since the COG has been sorted!

(Back home found out the problem - the flight battery from my Tx case I used to try to change over was almost dead! Fresh Nimh and all was just as it should be. If I had used the lipo it would have been fine but as I am cautious over the throttle in such circumstances I used the NiMh! Lesson learnt - keep all you batteries up to scratch even if you aren't flying with them!) blush

I also flew the new P2K with the DX9 and it was great - no longer am I a man without a P2K - I feel whole again!

Back home about 4 pm local - G+T and all looks great! weather in week ahead mixed - I do need to fly a lot more. We shall see. Fingers X'dmale+cocktail=smiley

Terry

Good session this afternoon! (and yesterday afternoon!)

Overall I've been doing OK for flying time this spring, But it occurred to me that that's the first time this year the weather/job has allowed two days of flying one after the other! Just shows how changeable the weather has been - and how unlucky I can be in getting flyable weather and time off to coincide!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/05/2014 17:46:13

Well just a year ago I was made redundant so I thought I'd be flying every day the weather was OK ... however setting up my own business and then suffering a a heart attack has imposed some limitations.

But this last week has seen me flying nearly every day with this little beast ...

umx radian.jpg

I've had it a week and its flown at least two hours already .... very pleased with it ... though I appreciate that it may not be everyone's choice.

Dragged the four channel Super 60 out of the loft and threw the trusty Foamy WOT 4 into the car. Got to the flying field. I had not flown i/c since November. The first thing that went wrong was that the manual fuel pump broke. I took a tankful of fuel from a colleague, started the OS 40 FP complete with its new Super Quiet Silencer and flew the model. Unfortunately when I was due to land there were several models in the air and I ran out of fuel coming in dead stick. Wisdom with hindsight is a wonderful thing. I should have performed a quick gliding circuit to lose height, then I should have landed on the patch but I didn't. I forced the nose down to perform a high-speed wheeler landing and went straight on into the long grass. The nylon bolts held but the undercarriage plate ripped out!

Back to the car to get the Foamy Wot 4 out. I performed a series of loops, rolls, Immelmans and ragged Cuban Eights with the model but it seemed reluctant to fly inverted or to perform a vertical eight.

I decided on a bunt and went straight into the potato furrows. I doubt that that one will be coming to France. broken heart

So how many models do I have in flying condition?

ONE!

angry 2

Look on the bright side, David - it does make packing easier....wink 2

This morning I put the first coat of Shed and Fence Treatment on my old dad's garden shed. Then we went to the pub for Sunday lunch. When we returned, I didn't really feel like it but put a second coat on the shed. Job done and it looks better now.....smile

I do seem to be a long way from my hangar....sad

Pete