Spring is here - what is stopping you from flying?

What a beautiful day!

My first view of the field was of a buzzard soaring high in the blue sky.

The muddy car park, was now becoming almost hard packed. How things cab change in such a short time.

Today was a me day, where the flying had no aims, just the pleasure of stooging about with a variety of models. What could be better, what could go wrong?

Although the holder of the requisite certificate for unsupervised flying, I am more than happy to ask for help, principally in spotting and more importantly, instant advice when things are going wrong. But what could go wrong on such a beautiful day?

I had brought 4 models, one which I fly frequently my "A" test hack, now well sorted. My truculent HK Firenza, A OD Messerschitt, which to date had been reluctant to fly. Finally a Hobbyzone Stinson Reliant.

The first issue I found was that the rudder on the Me 109 was damaged, where and how, it was not certain. I borrowed some Cyno and fixed it on the flight line. This was planned as the first model to try, having convinced my trusty test pilot to have a go. This was now delayed.

So first up was the HK Firenza, take of was without incident as was the stooging about. I must say I have come to be less than comfortable with the model. What has bothered me is that on other than full power, it flies tail low. Anyway all was going well, approaching the last minute of a 4 minute timer, the power sagged. I immediately called landing and barely staggered back to the strip, the model arriving in a wobbly, plonked, 3 pointer of a landing. Retrieving the model it was apparent that the ESC was reducing the power. when the throttle was opened. Yet my records show that @ full throttle if provides 548 w, for a minute, then operating @ 1/2 throttle 262w for 4.5 minutes, finally 30s at full power bringing up 5 minutes all from a 3200, 4s, lipo. The question is did i actually charge the Lipo, or just think I did?

Anyway these negative thoughts were put to one side. It was the turn of the 109, test pilot pressed into service. Having no UC it needs to be hand launched. On opening the throttle it was apparent that there was some vibration, the model no the less was launched, it reared up, into the sky, then entered an inelegant plummet to the ground. The problem? Incompetence! I had some how left the servo screw out, the arm coming loose. All my own fault. I had thought I had thoroughly checked the model, yet had the ailerons reversed, which had been corrected, but the screw had been missed. It seems I had concentrated so much on certain aspects, other issues had been overlooked.embarrassed

Now I moved on to my Miss Michelle, work horse, then the Stinson, all flew impeccably, in spite of my best efforts.

It did strike me that even on such a perfect day, things happen, one model going in over the river, a helicopter having a fight with the undergrowth, plus a few other minor events. Yet I think we all know, that these tribulations are all part of model flying.

Hi. Off to the field at 10am . No-one there but me. Flew my Extreme Flight Yak 54 twice and AcroWot Foam E three times before wind picked up. Two other members arrived and I assisted club member in getting his real Acrowot down on his first flight in gusty winds. Sterling effort by him as he was worried !

Then PM, walking our new re-homed dog Charlie round Longleat`s Heavens Gate I hot a phone call asking for assistance in maidening a Riot for one of my Friday nights heli flying colleagues. So ! Back to field after meeting up and two more flights on new Riot which flew just like my 150 flights knackered one !!!

Thanks to SWMBO and Charlie (Cavalier) for waiting patiently !

Good day no crashes !

Colin

A little breezy yesterday afternoon here, but much improved today. Warm, sunny (well, occasionally sunny) and less breezy than yesterday though the wind was still not quite straight down the strip. A bonus was the entry gate not shutting at 5pm as anticipated (it shuts at 5pm October-March, 9pm April-September.) Now we can "beat" the gate by moving our cars to the other side of the gate before 5pm and returning on foot to carry on flying - then lugging all the gear back to the cars afterwards. But it's a bit of a trek and not worth doing unless the weather is really good and there's lots of time after 5pm. But today that wasn't necessary. April closing hours seem to have started a couple of days early! Consequently I flew until I ran out of batteries!

At the field at club No1. I could tell it was Spring. No it was not the birds singing, or hares boxing. What told me was Spring was that the cows are back in the fields. Two herds, one in the side field, the other at the far end of the field. No birds, no hares, but in the last week or so, since I was last here, the grass has grown a little. I can no longer contemplate flying my models with UC.

I was the only person there, just Billy no mates, all the other club members safely in hibernation.

The wind strength promised for the NW was a 10-13mph wind with gusts up 20. Looking at the sky, it was furrowed like a ploughed field or a tubular cell duvet. Clouds quite low, grey and scudding along.

Once I was in the middle of the field I measured the wind, a little higher than predicted, at 14-18 mph. I pondered, in the good old days, there would have been a crowed of us, fighting for the bungee. Thinking nothing of the wind, other is it time to ballast? No need to overstretch the bungee, a monster launch being guaranteed with a little skill. The main concern, was stopping the model going backwards, on launch and overstretching the line,causing a line break.

Today I am pondering, hmm, do not normally fly in this wind. Oh well, here goes. I carefully check the Tx, right model, volts ok. Then plug in the lipo, check the controls. Shudder as a gust hits me, which does not abate. Here goes, motor on full power, a javelin throw. The model is climbing vertically yet travelling backwards, behind me. I bang in a lot of down elevator. This stops it going backwards, but also almost stops the climb. Slowly the model struggles forward and a little higher.

Once at altitude, I powered of. Once again I contemplate my lethargy in not setting a secondary trim setting to penetrate. I also wonder where the lump of lead is now, no longer in the flight box, it would have been so useful today. It is now a balance of keeping up wind, and coming down like a shot duck. After 15 minutes, I decided to make an approach to see how a landing would go. Not that easy, the model struggling to make head way against the wind, then shooting forwards. I decide just one more climb to altitude then a landing. As the model descended, I was tempted, just one more. Caution thankfully took over, and I started the landing approach, this time using the motor to keep the speed up, or at least moving forward relative to the ground. Not 5 feet up, the model suddenly reared up and sideways, thankfully it righted itself and I pressed ever more down elevator in. Then it was safely on the ground, more an IC type landing, certainly not a spot landing. Picking my stuff up, I paced out the distance. 73 strides, not good, not good at all.

One more a check of the wind speed, it was now a constant 23 to 29 mph.

To think, all those years back, with far bigger models, I would have thought nothing of it, now, I was almost congratulating myself, whilst wimps, once colossuses of the BARCS league, were now in their sheds, I stood in the middle of the field, freezing with the wind wiping around me, tears streaming from eyes, whilst i thought of the rebuilding work if I had not got it down.

After some recent discussion, I also checked the ESC on disarming. I found that the Lipo was warmish, the ESC warm, but pretty cool.

So only at the field for 1 hr, I had been out and was now ready for my first cup of coffee for the day.

Me and Pyro decided that Good Friday needed to be moved forward a week due to a great looking forecast here in Hampshire. So after a chat with the Easter bunny & suitable alibi's placed at work we had a great day.

image.jpg

Looked out yesterday about 7.30, sun shining trees not moving lets go flying. Met up with brother about 10 wind starting to lift slightly but off to the club. As usual the wind was twice as strong as it was at home, the wind chill gets into the bones. Flying must go on, spent a couple of hours flying, chatting and drinking coffee. Home to warm up, the joys of flying in Northern Ireland, oh for a few warm windless days, hopefully we sill get a few in June. There were about 15 at the site today, we are a hardy lot (wife things we are all mad, she has a point there?)

sounds like the weather in Devon today David, where incidentally I maidened the Barnstormer with a good, very good level of success, well it actually flew just as everyone said it would barely a click of trim and a real floater nice positive control responses too and the flaps are pretty effective too

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 13/04/2014 19:31:34:

Nice one Phil, any piccies?

Afraid I forgot both the camera and the key fob video camera David blush but rest assured they will not be forgotten next time so some will be forth coming and prob next Fri being an enforced holiday with, at the moment, a good forecast

That BF 109 looks the business by the way

Ooooooh that is a very 109 nice David - most impressed. Lovely day here too but as we are just back from a trip there is lots to do at the house and starting tomorrow - log cutting and splitting beckons!!!

Did manage to put my replacement Phoenix 2000 together tho' - ready to go (are you reading this Pete B?) smiley

Here in the NW, the weather alternates between Spring and Winter. Today is a winterish day, cold, low grey cloud and a bit of a breeze, with the odd gusts.

Now a holder of my "A" award, I am flying a lot more from club No.2, where I can use my models with UC. Today i took my Cleansweep type 2, that is a "V" tailed version, now with UC, for its first flight with dangly bits. Thinks, must take a new photo.

almostfinished.jpg

I will take a new picture, as it does look better with a UC.

I press ganged my test pilot into work. As I was a little nervous, not sure how much difference a UC would make. I assumed a little more up, from UC drag? Anyway, the model just handled the undulating, though short grassed field with ease. The model was taken through a few circuits. Then cam a few stall turns (I guess he was checking the rudder out, This had caused a few minutes discussion before take off, was it correct. I was not sure, such a long time since I have last flown it, had I used the rudder? No need with a hand launch, had I done stall type manoeuvres? A veteran flyer, confirmed it was correct, explaining how you check, not immediately intuitive with a "V" tail. Then came a number of loops, of various diameters. Followed by an inverted pass. When a strange, all is not well, sound, was heard. The model was taken around the circuit to a landing.

I had thought that the motor mounting screws had come loose, as I looked inside at the twisted motor and ESC leads. Back home I discovered it was worse. The motor had come apart.

motor480.jpg

Although it looks OK it has been wreaked. I immediately placed an order for a new motor.

The good news is that the test pilot has pronounced, the model flies very well, no adjustments needed. Perhaps you should loctite the mounting screws in though. I now know it is the motor can that needs unscrewing slightly, then loctiting together when it comes.

I then flew my Nobler type model, no UC though, and not immediately obvious how to accomplish this.

Finally my Parkzone Stinson was flown.

All with no issues, just a bit of stooging about, top banana.

As for the other modellers, all was quite good, a couple of dodgy landings, with slight damage. In fact all landings were a bit taxing, due to a 90 degree cross wind to the only practical and safe strip. I particularly enjoyed a DF Grunman Panther, which displayed very sprightly performance. Again a testament of dogged determination and not a little skill. The model suffering from a variety of woes, due to high current draw and the issues that this high lights.

I am now pondering, when will the CS be back in the air?