Spring is here - what is stopping you from flying?

Well i got my 1st flights in for this year and i took these down to the field .

dayout.jpg

I flew my racer 1st ,

My Racer

Which i did take a picture at the field but it was out of focus , however the plane and engine went great ,

then i tried my spitfire which i discovered had a problem with the elevator so did not fly it sad .

And by 3:30pm everyone had gone home but me so i hung my camera around my neck and took this video of my Little Bit Special .

So enjoyed being out and doing some proper flying .

Edited By Stephen Jones on 13/03/2014 19:17:48

Nice video technique but that little bit special seems a little bit quick too lol did my eyes decieve me or did the main plane move during the ground checks not sure how that would work.

on to the thread title, nothing except the build of a 63" barnstormer though last sat and this afternoon saw both my E-Pioneer and a recently aquired H-two-O in the air, the pioneer on its maiden and the H-two-O its second my 1st with it 3rd 4th 5th and 6th flight, just coudn't resist putting her back up as fast as the batteries could be charged, helped by having a spare 3 hours of some of the most relaxing flying I can remember and the A routine is getting better too

Oh! Many congratulations Erf my old friend and sparring partner.cake I am absolutely delighted for you!

Despite the write-up (which was very entertaining by the way - had me on the edge of my seat!) I bet it wasn't as bad as you'd feared/speculated! Well done - I look forward to doing a couple of circuits together at Greenacres smile

And equal congratulations to Justin as well. thumbs up

A great start to the season! May we have many more!

BEB

Posted by Phil Winks on 13/03/2014 21:06:12:

Nice video technique but that little bit special seems a little bit quick too lol did my eyes decieve me or did the main plane move during the ground checks not sure how that would work.

Hi Phil ,

Your eyes are fine it is a tandem wing design which means both wings give lift . and the main wing tilts to give more or less lift , there is no elevator on this .

Cheers Steve ,

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 12/03/2014 23:21:27:

Unfortunately, the straight up and down bit was rather too literal in Terry's case. I caught a glimpse of it heading vertically earthwards and a strangled cry from Terry...smile o The post-crash investigation revealed the cause - one aileron had split away from the wing. The 'crushed-foam' hinge had separated along virtually its entire length - so if your EPO model has such hinges, it may be worth checking them over....sad

Meanwhile, Terry's working on a way of smuggling a growing collection of wounded models back into the house..... suggestions welcome, he's running out of convincing explanations...wink 2

Pete

So far so good Pete! Yesterday SWMBO actually went into the workshop to get some gardening tools and didn't spot it! Phew!

Yep if you've got a P2K or other foamie with foam hinges - check them out!

Good write up Pete!

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 14/03/2014 07:19:53

Well I have two days on the trot down the strip in glorious sunshine in sunny Suffolk. Can't remember the last time I did that. Spoilt for choice on the model to fly, but in the end my 30cc Sbach & 50cc Sbach both got an outing. Hoping for a third day, but looking out of the window at fog for the moment.

Too busy flying in perfect conditions yesterday to even look at the newsgroup - and what do I find but the momentous news that Erfolg has finally achieved his goal and passed his A - Carl, I'm really glad for you (and equally well done to Justin) and as it sounds like your club test is half way to the B certificate, why not set yourself another goal while you've got the bit between your teeth!

Posted by Martin Harris on 14/03/2014 11:07:57:

Too busy flying in perfect conditions yesterday to even look at the newsgroup - and what do I find but the momentous news that Erfolg has finally achieved his goal and passed his A - Carl, I'm really glad for you (and equally well done to Justin) and as it sounds like your club test is half way to the B certificate, why not set yourself another goal while you've got the bit between your teeth!

Hang on a minute - if he has to do loops for an A, i`d like to know whats in the Bsurprise

Got out yesterday but only with my Twinstar. The plan was to visit the listed terminal building at the defunct Croydon Airport and check out the bar and cafeteria where in the recent past you could get a decent meal. However we were informed that the Sri Lankan caterers had 'done a runner' two weeks ago owing the management company £20,000. They had also 'trashed' the bar area and taken some valuable memorabilia it was alleged. So we had lunch at a pub in Banstead later that afternoon.

As for the flying at the airport,I was the only person with 35mhz radio gear and I am afraid after 8 years of ownership the Twinstar 2 although it flew well it was more than shown up by most of the other models which included a large scale Hurricane and a Nationals competition sized stunt model. Both the latter models were electric powered which makes sense at the airport where there are restrictions on IC models and both pilots gave excellent displays.

The club field on Sheernes island was fog bound yesterday and it still is water-logged. The weather at Croydon Airport was superb and the ground was not at all muddy.

Well done Erfolg, I still have not done the 'A' despite passing my club field test 8 years ago!

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 14/03/2014 12:00:14

Posted by Martyn K on 11/03/2014 15:49:02:

After nearly two weeks of settled and mainly unseasonable warm weather we can safely say that someone has put the jet stream back where it belongs.

The forecast for the next week is looking good, so no excuses. What have you crashed because you have forgotten how to fly and how many maidens have you bowled over?

Spare those blushes and say goodbye to winter.

Erm, excuse me! The jet stream is now over us poor mortals in Shetland.... 45mph forecast today, and I have three aircraft that have had extensive work done on them over the winter ready to (re) maiden. My Hangar 9 ¼ scale J3 Cub now sports a set of floats, but until the wind calms down a wee bit there's not a chance of flying her. I did have my Luna E-V out in 25mph winds on Wednesday lunchtime though. The sun was shining and it was a blisteringly hot (for Shetland) 9.5°C, but the gusts to 35mph kinda took the fun out of things a bit!

I ordered a wee Vortex 400 EDF from Wheelspin Models the other day, looks like it might enjoy being chucked into the air on windy days for a bit of fun.

but, in answer to the question of the thread, WIND!!!!

Rory

Sneaked out again this afternoon to go flying - that makes 3 days on the trot - brilliant. A bit thermic and gusty at the strip and the wind wandering at will about 60 degrees either side of the strip centre line made it 'interesting'! Full sun tho'!!

Apart from flying my IC powered Rainbow and Boomerang I finally made some progress with my over two years old EP Seagull Space Walker to improve the general flying characteristics by boldly moving the Lipo back and suddenly - a transformation! Very nice flights even with the gusty wind and the light wing loading. I haven't been flying it much because it never seemed right. Another case of manufacturers COGs being exceedingly cautious??? Took me long enough to sort it out tho'!!!smiley

Terry

I really thought mud was going to stop me flying this week but I made my first visit to the field on Wednesday afternoon and found that things had dried out nicely..So, with perfect conditions I had half a dozen flights with my Acro Wot foam-e and one with my Phoenix 2000. Unfortunately my Renegade turned out to have fault and was grounded for the day.

Nev.

Posted by Martin Harris on 14/03/2014 11:07:57:

...and as it sounds like your club test is half way to the B certificate, why not set yourself another goal while you've got the bit between your teeth!

My thoughts exactly Martin! Two examiners, loops, a low pass... Sounds more like an A+ test or perhaps a B-.

Anyway, well done to both Carl and Justin!

I'm hoping for two day's flying just ahead. I did fly both days last weekend though the conditions weren't that good. Saturday we had a blustery, turbulent wind blowing across the strip - I had a couple of flights, then packed-up and went slope soaring instead. Sunday was supposed to be better, but was probably worse. This weekend looks like lighter winds, and straight down the strip!

With swmbo at work and the sun out the club beckoned and I duly obliged. Taking the recently repair Pulse 25e and Grob Tutor with me it was time for abuse of the local insect population. A change from the norm the Grob got to go first, throttle was advanced and off it went like a scolded cat leaving a trail of smoke.

Rolls, spins, bunts and some other dubious attempts where made until all to quickly the tx was telling me it was time to land. Refueling done, dead insects removed from the prop and of we go again but....

The Grob takes off but lying on the strip is the port u/c leg, oh dear this cannot end well. Flying around I looked at the options available, land on the strip with two wheels and keep the port wing up as long as I can or bring it down in to the long grass beyond the strip. Well it had to be the first option so when the tx told me it was time it was now or never. The Grob likes to come at a good pace so I didn't hold out much hope in it ending well, this being down to my skill rather than the Grob itself. It was a non event the Grob held its wing up until gravity took over and it slid to a stop. No damaged was sustained but with regards to the port u/c leg I had fallen victim to the artf factory gluing or lack off. The mount had just fallen out as the little glue used was a ticking clock waiting to catch me out.

Thirty minutes later the mount was back in place with some resin, and yes the starboard mount was attended to as well. While the resin hardened the Pulse was called in to service and duly took to the clouds. I climbed to a fair height and then noticed two Red Kites bring hassled by some smaller birds looked like crow's but couldn't really tell. I did wonder about the crows having a death wish and maybe they had not thought it through.

The Pulses repairs where good it flew a lot better, performance was good and tried to practice some knife edge but need more time on the sim to coordinate the stick controls. So five hours at the club, it was a good day.

Mike

Flushed with my recent triumphs, nah, the truth is it was a normal club No.1 flying day, after my daily labours and after lunch i went to the field.

My fleet of models is now pretty much split into two groups. Those with UC and those without. So today, it was my trusty Sagitta and my basic with UC, yes, so much to the two camp theory.

Passing our parking area, I noticed a club member already there, sat in his car,as i went to an important appointment. On my return, probably 15 minutes later, they were still sat in their car. Getting out of the car I looked for my jacket, it was not to be seen. Now I have forgotten my Txs in the past, this is a new one for me. Being a northerner, not a southern wimp, I decide to fly none the less, just with my indoor clothes and my winter flying hat.

Approaching the other car, I could see our intrepid competition flyer, programming his HOTT Tx. A few minutes chat, at the car door, tuned into minutes, which turned me into a frozen monolith. I now know a lot more about the capabilities of this testament to white hot technology, as well as being cryogenic suspended. How glad I am not to fly F3J and make do with basic programming.

At this point, I made my excuses, and went home, abandoning any thought of flying. It took probably half an hour for this northern wimp to treat myself at home for hypothermia by draping myself over a radiator. Meanwhile my colleague continued programming his Tx, he could still be there tonight!

So an almost session, but a bitingly cold wind, low cloud and stupidity thwarted even half an hours fun.

Thanks for al the good wishes. Being honest, after a period of at least 9 months without an issue, it seemed that all the accumulated problems were visited on me at the most inconvenient time. As I have written previously, without all the support and encouragement, it is possible I would not have bothered with the "A" test.

Edited By Erfolg on 14/03/2014 20:32:16

Nothing is stopping me flying now. I can pop open the back of my car, grab my Bixler and throw it out across the fields at the back of my workplace. Any time it's not raining or foggy (like it was almost all day today).

Mind you, I did experience my first tree two days ago. My excuse it that it was hidden by the clear air in front of it. thinking