What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Just now.

Low and directly overhead.

A very loud and unusual sound. Obviously props, obviously lots of em!

Turns out to be The Blades, in a very tight formation with either two Spits Or one Spit and a Hurricane (happened pretty quickly so not sure).

5th Blade buzzing around everyone - obviously a camera ship.

Tea and bikkies at Sywell by now I would think!

Andrew,

Blades were indeed in formation with a Spitfire and Hurricane over Biggin Hill for the BoB 80th anniversary. Was on a news report on TV.

The Spitfire and P-51 over us can usually be seen parked up outside the blister hangers at Sywell. The Spit is owned by Carolyn Grace and the P-51 is 'Contrary Mary'.

Blades did a full display at Sywell yesterday as part of a corporate day. Very impressive.

Tim

Hello Tim,

Yes the bulletin I saw had the Spit And Hurricane up with the Blades.

Would they have all returned together, via, overhead my house at Finedon.

I certainly heard the Blades on the day but didn't see them at all. They normally practice just out of sight, whilst making some nice noise - nearby, so thats quite normal.

I was aware of the Grace aircraft being based at Sywell but not of the P51.

Meanwhile, where do you think the Hurricane is based, Tim?

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 16/09/2020 14:24:06:

Two Buzzards flew over just now as one did yesterday. They send the Parakeets wild and usually the Crows but not today.

Talking of buzzards, about a year or two ago I spotted 5 flying over our house heading east. We're only about 200 yds or 300 yds from the North Sea so I knew they'd either turn north or head back. I grabbed my bridge camera & caught three of them doing aerobatics over the house a few minutes later. The resolution isn't great as they were quite high so I've cropped the images for a closer look.

dsc_1788.jpg

dsc_1789.jpg

dsc_1790.jpg

dsc_1791.jpg

dsc_1797.jpg

Impressive birds, buzzards. I am still in awe at the sheer number around us - close to Filey on the East Coat. A pair seem to favour our flying field and throughout summer, I would invariably find them on the runway, taking to the air as I turn into the field. For the last few weeks, there has only been one though....

Before retirement in April, I used to work in Skipton a few days a week and be amazed at the number of Kites near Harewood house near Leeds.

I, for one, am glad the raptor numbers seem to be increasing.

GG

Hopefully there could be more Hurricanes flying in the UK in the next few years.

As a second anorak I did some research and there are 10 “proper” Hurricanes on the UK G- register two of which are owned and presumable sat in Germany. That is in addition to the two on the Battle of Britain Memorial flight.

Most seem to either with restorers or likely to be restored. None seem to be static display only.

Hello dejampea,

Never got round to building, my friend, but I do enjoy avaiation "things" and have done for nearly 70 years when from Harrow we took trips up to The Battleaxe (i think thats the name) pub which sits on the end of the Elstree runway. Great stuff.

Anyway to cut a long storey short, I have had a daytime look at FL24, I normally have to on in the evenings and indentify all the traffic that comes overhead, and the only thing of real interest is an East Anglian Air Ambo from Norwich en route to London City. An unusual movement methinks.

Good luck with your current build - and it's maiden!