What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Quite a lot of traffic this week - I live about 10 miles from Farnborough so there's a fair bit around near showtime. A couple of Ospreys a few days ago, then on Tuesday some of the London flypast came over - Airbus shaped tanker, four-engined aircraft which I think is called a "Rivet Joint", and AWACS.

Some WW1 stuff today - 2 off SE5A, 2 off DR1, Junkers D1 and BE2. Not 100% of my id of the last two, and some or all may have been replicas.

Used to see the Red Arrows a lot, but they don't do Farnborough any more (post Shoreham).

Advert

I saw what looked like a DC6 flying from Cranfield, Beds, this afternoon. It flew over again at about 6pm, low and making a wonderful noise. I’m sure it was a DC6. Does anybody else know anything about it? I thought the only DC6 in the country was the ex-Air Atlantique one which was converted into a diner 😩. A happy surprise to me that another one is flying in the UK.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 15/08/2018 17:31:14:

We had a full size Rutan Long EZ fly over the airfield at Ashbourne on Saturday. It makes me wonder if there's a model kit available or perhaps a drawing with CNC components. It would certainly be a different model.

Geoff

Just to get you in the mood.....here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

So I was just relaxing in my armchair, perusing the latest RCME mag just delivered, and reading about the EFlite V22 Osprey when an unusaul aircraft sound outside made me look up to see a full size Osprey reefing round the corner of the valley and flying straight over the house at a couple of hundred feet.

Yesterday it was an A400M at the same height or possibly lower heading the other way. It's usually Hawks from Valley or Hercules or Chinooks (at treetop height). Our valley is one of the routes out to the tactical manoevering area in mid-Wales and the Mach Loop. They use different valleys in rotation it seems, and it's obviously our turn this week. Even if I have a camera or phone to hand I'm never quick enough as by the time your hear them they're overhead. Great fun though.

B-52s today from Fairford. And some helicopters, possibly Merlins, I'm not too sure on the rotary stuff.

Last night, B2 Spirits came overhead although I didn't actively see them, they were reported in the paper (callsign "DEATH" according to the local rag).

En route to Georgia, I believe, part of Nato show of strength on Russia's doorstep. And I thought the cold war was over...