What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

Advert

There is no automatic link here between sightings and BBMF, and (bluntly!) posting THE Spitfire and THE Hurricane is just potentially offering confusion unless certain they WERE BBMF planes, which was not established.

There are a number of Spitfires and a Hurricane and a ME109E (with the "right" engine, not a Buchon!) currently stabled at Biggin Hill Hangar. They are flight worthy and have no connection to the BBMF planes. I saw at least one of each take off so might suggest it was more likely that it was them you saw.

Posted by Dave Bran on 16/09/2017 09:11:47:

There is no automatic link here between sightings and BBMF, and (bluntly!) posting THE Spitfire and THE Hurricane is just potentially offering confusion unless certain they WERE BBMF planes, which was not established.

There are a number of Spitfires and a Hurricane and a ME109E (with the "right" engine, not a Buchon!) currently stabled at Biggin Hill Hangar. They are flight worthy and have no connection to the BBMF planes. I saw at least one of each take off so might suggest it was more likely that it was them you saw.

Funny. I thought that the only Lancaster was in the BBMF

A bit late to the party, but last Friday morning I was in Dartmouth when two Spitfires in close formation flew down the river then broke left and over towards Paington.smile d

Then later around lunchtime we got a repeat performance!!thumbs up

Later in the day a singleton was blatting about in the same general area.

I can only imagine something was being filmed . Anyone live in the area and can shed more light?

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

As we all know this is one of the ways that the USA hides its own governmental support, in both the tendering and development programmes for such aircraft.

Yesterday my better half and myself were making our way along the green on the Fylde, This is just a few miles from BAE. Just before we reached our destination, which must be kept secret, which is important as there are far to many holiday makers who stumble upon it, particularly in summer ( is that a Joke). The whole of Hell apparently broke loose, I grabbed my wife to save me, simultaneously I found myself in her grip. I was convinced a jet aircraft was crashing next to us.

A split second later I saw a Typhoon flying along the coast, at something like, at a guess, 400 feet. As quickly as it came it was gone, as it hurtled under the leaden low grey, black, sky. The howling gale of no apparent consequence. The rumble continued long after it was out of sight

Oh, my God my wife exclaimed, what was that? A Typhoon was my reply. What is it doing so low, and so fast, was her next question. Not a clue I said, as I pondered, that it is usual to hear and sometimes see Typhoons as a minute dot in the sky.

Whilst contemplating the meaning of life, in the hostelry,  why is it that pigs cannot fly, another 3 flew past at intervals, or was it the same one on a circuit. I then thought, in a moment of something approaching inspiration, were they investigating the aircrafts all weather capabilities

Flying low at speed or even relatively slowly had raised some questions in my mind recently whilst flying my models. I could not help but notice that at the moment flight after flight of Geese are making their way to Hesketh Bank. What had I had particularly taken notice of was that many of these flights of geese were well above 400 feet. When the weather is favourable, there appears to be hundreds of these groups of perhaps 50 to 100. On this particular occasion I also noticed that the Buzzards were going even higher on occasion. Which at the time caused me to ponder to the Geese and the Buzzards show up on radar? I can hear the distinctive cry from the Geese, to a pilot is it a blob, another drone, or potentially a loud bang. I also thought how does BAE deal with the Geese, which reside just a mile or so from the runway

As for the Typhoons, I am always happy to hear the noise, as it means employment. Living just 6 miles from the site, the eatery just 4 miles, I am amazed at the performance of these most welcome of aircraft.

Edited By Erfolg on 05/10/2017 13:17:01

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

I have been thinking, that I have only ever once been published. That was a long time ago, in I believe a German magazine. I do not think I was directly asked, it was my teacher (for German) who submitted the piece. I did keep a copy for a little while, no money was made, I do not think. I do not think I was even bothered, being far more concerned if I would pass the German exam, at the end of the year. The reason being, I think that the grammar was spruced up by her. I did not even tell my mother, certainly not my dad (as he would have dismissed it as a waste of time).

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday Friday I was in Cumbria a little south of Cockermouth. Whist talking with a neighbour at the Erfolg Turm summer residence, a Tornado flew over at very low level. It was in desert camouflage. It was apparently following the same track that Tucarnos commonly fly, although a bit lower.

We mostly see them flying a reciprocal path, which I think takes them out onto the Solway Firth, passing somewhere near to Maryport, although I have never seen them there. Then again, I mostly go to Alonby, again where I have not seen them. I am guessing that typically they tun before Maryport, and follow the edge of the hills along the south shore of the Solway.

There seem to be a number of frequently flown circuits in the region, down low along Bassenthwaite Water, also I have seen them along the Gap at Tebay, with Parasails flying, the Tucarnos being lower.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...