What's flying over your house

David Pearce 4

I live 3 miles from Leeds Bradford airport and A400s have for the last couple of months, on Fridays, have been using the airport for procedural approach training, regularity around lunchtime.

A couple of weeks ago on the Friday, I was at the North Leeds flying site which is approx 5 miles north west of LBA at around 2:00 pm when an A400 suddenly appeared in a steep bank with a lot of power on, at eye level approx 2 miles east of the site and decended out of sight to what must have been less than 500ft into a valley heading NW.

A flying colleague and myself watched half expecting to hear a loud bang and see a cloud of black smoke!

The manoeuvre was repeated in the same area 20 minutes later with less bank and power.

Spectacular but scary!

Advert

Whilst driving back from the airfield at Ashbourne towards Belper yesterday I spotted what looked like a microlight. As I got closer I could see it had a rotor. Unfortunately, as I was both driving and alone I couldn't look too closely but when I was stopped at some traffic lights I tried to see if it was a heli or an autogyro. There didn't seem to another propeller but I didn't get a really good sighting.

Are there any microlight helicopters? I thought not and it was more likely an autogyro.

Geoff

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had dinner on the patio with beautiful daughter, gorgeous grandaughter and son-in-law and been treated to a 20 minute display by a Spit T9, Hurricane 1 and 109 Buchon. The Spit and the Messerschmitt are based at Sywell, just down the road so we see them very regularly but the three together against a clear blue sky was something else again.

David

Edited By David Holland 2 on 11/06/2018 21:25:08

• 3 weeks later...

Talking of Ospreys, have you seen them at night with rotor tip lights? The first time I saw one was when I was driving home and suddenly I saw these two big green circles and red flashing lights crossing in front of me. I was somewhat unnerved until I realised what it was!

Posted by Ron Gray on 04/07/2018 07:32:53:

Talking of Ospreys, have you seen them at night with rotor tip lights? The first time I saw one was when I was driving home and suddenly I saw these two big green circles and red flashing lights crossing in front of me. I was somewhat unnerved until I realised what it was!

No, but put "Osprey at Night" into google for loads of pics.............................

Last night a telescope flew over our house.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NASA747

A little before the southerly going track turns west, after take-off, near enough to over us. As it is winter, a bit too dark to see anything. I still haven't been invited for a flight despite talking to the flight crew in a pub, The Bog, Irish of course!

The website about it all -
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/SOFIA/index.html