What size glider ?

John

2llb ish?

You might find by the time you have added up battery, motor, ESC, servos, snakes, radio etc there is only 1lb ish left for the airframe.

If you are designing it as well as building it might need some care in the detail to have a good glide performance and adequate strength for any aerobatics but it can certainly be done..

John this would be ideal for your power set-up it's a plan in next months RCME - July mag mid to early June time.

blog on here in Features - plan builds models  - called Red Kite 2 mtr  span 

Video here : on page 2 - date 4th of March down within the blog

would be good.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 17/05/2014 21:14:21

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 17/05/2014 21:15:26

I don't think I explained it very well there fella's, my 2lb ish came from what I thought the motor capable of (not sure if that's correct). I only want motor to gain height with, mild aerobatics will be throttle off. You're right Simon I don't have a lot left after motor etc. so would this set up work on a 3lb glider ?

I will have a look at that Mark thanks

John

John, it's quite a small motor, only weighing 52g. According to the HK spec it will take 21A but I suspect that might be for short bursts, which is fine if you only intend to use full power for something like 30 secs then glide. Probably best to run the motor with whatever size prop you intend to use for 10secs, 20secs then 30secs checking the current stays within the limit & feeling how hot it gets after each run.

For a 70"-ish model that's intended for aerobatics I'd be inclined to use a heavier motor around the same Kv. I have a 130g Turnigy 3542 100Kv in my EasyGlider which weighs 34oz but that will climb to 800ft in 30secs doing consecutive rolls on the way up. wink 2

Thanks folks

I think I will draw one up 70 inch, keep it light and simple, and allow enough room to uprate the motor if neededwink

So what do you think I need incidence wise, tailplane and wing ? Zero on tail ? +1 on wing ? I have done quite a few home builds, never done a glider though. The aim is to fly throttle off mostly, motor's just to gain height. So am I anywhere near or talking rubbish dont know

John

• 2 months later...

How did it go John? Did you build it and chuck it?

I would have thought that zero all round would be a good starting point. My old Easy Pidgeon was apparently zero incidence (wing to fuse angle) and zero declage (wing to tail-plane angle) After I made up some flat aileron + flaps 2.5mtr wings with simple folded foam, I did mess about with it. Mostly as although the wings were quite a bit heavier than the original 1.8mtr balsa polyhedral ones, they seemed to improve lift dramatically and caused 'balooning'. But I can't tell you about angles, because I just added about 2.5mm of plasticard under the front of the wing.

Hmm, hang on a mo, lemme see, that's a 185mm chord x 2.5mm gives less than one degree incidence. I guess it helped as I was able to get the elevator within a couple of clicks of being flat to the tail-plane while maintaining level cruising flight at less than half power.

Contrarywise, my ancient Precedent Hifly glider (£15 off Ebay) has something like +3deg Wing to fuse and +2(ish)deg declage. I think it was made that way for bungee or towing as it came with a tow hook underneath.

In spite of all that malarkey, I need to mend both of them. smile p

Not started it Chuck, I needed a break from buildingcrook am reverting to plan B now....buy wood for my Chippie at Nats and if I cant find something suitable on the Sunday table top sale, buy wood for a glider as well. One or two nice Gliders at our club I can copy if it comes to it. I don't mind building two at a time you can work on one as glue dry's on the other

John

Posted by john stones 1 on 03/08/2014 15:14:26:

Not started it Chuck, I needed a break from buildingcrook am reverting to plan B now....buy wood for my Chippie at Nats and if I cant find something suitable on the Sunday table top sale, buy wood for a glider as well. One or two nice Gliders at our club I can copy if it comes to it. I don't mind building two at a time you can work on one as glue dry's on the other

John

Hehe, you say you need a break from building, then point out that you're a glutton for punishment! wink 2

Tabletop sale? Now that's my sort of solution! thumbs up

I have one of these and can only get a 1300 3S cell in, I do not know how they get a 2200 in I have had to modify the canopy to fit on stand offs also.

I have a 28mm brushless up front with a 10 x 6 on and it fly's very fast, I have not mastered how to get it round corners as it wants to fall out of the sky and troublesome to get it to fly straight and level again. I do not want to dissuade any potential buyers it maybe just be me ??

I was looking at those gliders last night drooling and raeding the reviews and to be honest the reviews on the gliders are some what off putting to say the least with people breaking wings doing normal turns and then repairing the wings to find its soft balsa that they have used and the main spars being under sized by far!! Plus there was discussions about the fuselages being twisted. There lovely to look at but it sounds like its a lottery if you get a good one. Read the reviews John.....its good ( Bad ) reading sad