Chips with everything

Nev

I hesitate to show off my attempts at scale like features in such company but I have been giving it a go. I now have wing tip lights.

dscf1498.jpg

They are based on 8mm LED’s as I intend them to work and 8mm is about the right size. The green one is a water clear type with a clear blue lacquer applied but lights up green when powered.

dscf1510.jpg

TBH this is about as far as my dexterity and eyesight will go but I will be happy if I can get a few more touches done like this smiley

Nev.

Advert

When making horns and things to fit over wires and rods do the following First drill a small hole in the flat plate then take a punch or broach and tap it through the hole until it will slip onto the wire or rod. Tighter the better but not so tight you have to distort it to get it on. . This should leave a dimpled hole with a small projection other side. This gives a larger area for t he solder and makes stronger jointst. Actually a filleted joint in effect. Actually additional solder can be built up on the !hollow ! side as an additional fillet. This punching holes method gives additional metal to accept self tapping screws.

Well thanks for the comments lads but I’m not that good. But seeing as you asked, I have a couple more photos.

dscf1487.jpg

I tried to build up a layer around the LED with aluminium tap. It smother around the curve a lot better than you would think, pressing the creases out with a bit a hard wood. The tape gives you an edge to work to and also acts as a reflector.

dscf1486.jpg

I did ty to build it up with a few layers of tape, which would have worked but I went for the short cut by adding modelling putty. I tried some Tamiya basic but didn’t get on with that very well and it went on in blobs, so after it dried and a bit of sanding I used light weight filler to smooth it out a bit.

dscf1490.jpg

Then a bit more sanding and trimming and finish with the paint of your choice, I went for Humbrol Matt Dark Grey. It all depends on how much patience you have and how much time you want to spend. As you can see I went for the 50 years of hard service look not the factory finish.

dscf1501.jpg

Nev.

• 8 months later...

Hi. Hope everybody had a good Christmas and is set up for a bit of revelry tonight.

Been a while since I did anything in the Chippy, lots of reasons and I’m not sure I will have anywhere to fly it when it’s done but I do like to build so I'm going to try and get it finished. One of the reasons for the slow return, I had come to the tricky bit of joining the fuselage halves together, although thinking back there have been lots of tricky bits, so I put some new batteries in the camera and started fiddling again.

dscf1541.jpg

I got the stabiliser and fin in place and keeping it as simple as possible for now, went for snakes and a fixed tail wheel.

dscf1542.jpg

Servos are going behind the dashboard but can be accessed from underneath.

dscf1535.jpg

Several dry fits to see if everything still waggles as it should

dscf1539.jpg

I think I have remembered to fit in all the bits, the elevator snake can be threaded from the back. Time to go for it I think.

dscf1544.jpg

That’s it for now, just a little post to get the ball rolling again. Have a good new year everybody.

Nev.

Well with as many clips as I could fit on and trussed up with masking tape it went together.

dscf1546.jpg

So I now have a beautiful fuselage, ok it may be in the eyes of the beholder but I am well chuffed with it.

dscf1550.jpg

I’ve even made a start on the office floor, this bit may have been easier if I had done some work on it before I joined the halves together but it’s getting there.

Now I’ve actually got back into it, I’m quite enthusiastic about this again, especially as I have a lot of the tricky stuff behind me. Only thing I haven’t figured out what to do with yet is the cowl but I’ll worry about that later.

Nev.

Thanks Chaps.

Warning. Inspirational shot coming up !

dscf1554.jpg

Had to put it together to make sure it all fits, cowling is just for show at this stage. I am actually very surprised that it’s all square, good enough anyway, considering how much of this you have to put together off the board, free hand so to speak. Getting to the time when I will have to think about covering and try and find Danny’s videos on glassing.

Cowlings a bit of a loose fit though. Hmm !

dscf1557.jpg

Nev.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in stick one piece of wood on a day mode at the moment so progress is slow but sure. I fitted some blocks to secure the cowl and smaller ones for the canopy, both are going to be secured with small screws.

dscf1562.jpg

So I have the cowl sorted for the moment, it still needs a big hole cutting is in for the batteries but I have fitted some stiffening rings inside and got the basic mounting sorted.

dscf1560.jpg

The spinner is a 2 ½” one with the skirt cut off, I think it looks Ok .Need to find a prop with a small hub though, this is only a 12” APC style one so when I get a 14” one I may have to do some careful carving inside as well.

dscf1568.jpg

I have got a few of the other jobs done on the fuz as well but not much to show for it, definitely plodding along at the moment.

Nev.