Have a Rant

john stones 1 - Moderator

Advert

Posted by C Norton on 26/08/2014 18:19:05:

Shop assistants who answer the phone when they're in the middle of serving you. That is just the same as serving someone who has pushed in, instant walk out of the premises for me!

Barmen (usually young enough to be my grandson) who call me "mate"; in fact anyone I don't know who calls me "mate".

Waiting staff who tell me it's "no problem" when I order something mundane like a sandwich or a coffee.

The letters LOL.

That rising inflection at the end of a sentence as if everything is a question?

Young girls who croak when they talk and somehow think it's cool to pretend they're from the West Country.

Weather "forecasters" on the TV who spend most of the report telling us what the weather has already been like that day/week etc.

Edited By C Norton on 26/08/2014 18:20:37

Just had a look through this long thread. The above is the best overall post for me as every point is close to the top of my list . The first one happened to me today. I was ready to pay for one single item whilst still talking to the cashier at the local electrical factors store when he decided to take a call right in front of me. He was on the phone for well over 5 minutes! I was so close to saying something I would have regretted.

I really notice the other points, especially being a Northerner in the South West for close to 20 years. The croaking and rising pitch at the end of sentences really grates on me. It's like they are trying too hard all the time. I am only 42, but my long suffering partner (from the South West!) always says I am a young Victor Meldrew. I agree with her on this, but NOTHING else!

Americanisms are something I really struggle with. I also find it really unnatural to use the words 'cool' or 'awesome'. I cringe when others my age and older say these words as if they have always used them.

Another thing, why do so many people get 'to' and 'too' confused? There is a chap who rides a custom trike motorcycle that often passes me on the way to work and he has a fancy slogan hand painted on the back which reads 'Never to old to party!' angry

I am actually a really pleasant person in real life by the way!  I just try my best to keep these things to myself and I am sure others try to do the same with me!

Edited By Simon Hall 2 on 30/10/2014 20:30:42

Posted by Simon Hall 2 on 30/10/2014 20:23:23:

I am only 42, but my long suffering partner (from the South West!) always says I am a young Victor Meldrew. I agree with her on this, but NOTHING else!

Well, I think you're making an admirable effort at your tender age, Simon - and you have a very perceptive OH!teeth 2

Pete

I've been watching this thread for a while. It really is quite funny how much of the same stuff seems to universally annoy us. Not sure if that's just specific to model flyers or men of a certain middle age+ bracket. Nevertheless, it does make you wonder, if all these things annoy all of us, who is committing them??

its like some ironic catch 22 scenario!

Illiterate signwriters! I used to regularly see a van with "ABC Tarmac's" sign written on the side; what are they trying to say??? More recently, I've seen another one with "XYZ Tarmac's" on the side; presumably the same signwriter was responsible for both.

Road chicanes - how is forcing a car onto the wrong side of the road going to improve traffic safety? They don't slow down the traffic, merely cause queues of traffic waiting for cars in the other direction to pass; I've had too many instances of idiots who chance it when I've had the right of way causing me to have to do an emergency stop.

"Young girls who croak when they talk and somehow think it's cool to pretend they're from the West Country."

Sorry, but this is a new phenomenon to me. Does this mean young girls are dropping dead mid sentence or simply performing frog impersonations? Please enlighten me.dont know

The comments about punctuation are interesting, as many local authorities now leave out apostrophes on their street signs. King Edwards Road, for instance. Quite why they do this is a puzzle (probably some cost saving exercise), but it's incorrect and sets a bad example

Edited By Cuban8 on 31/10/2014 07:47:04

Posted by Levanter3 on 31/10/2014 08:43:34:

You're not a Geordie then TWS?

Well, no, I'm a Shropshire lad actually!

I should probably hasten to add that my previous post was not aimed at geordies in particular: in fact when it's naturally associated with the accent, 'likes' are much more acceptable. The post was triggered by the girl on the bus behind me yesterday, who would have halved her phone bill if she'd spent less time saying 'like', and who was definitely not geordie!

Posted by Cuban8 on 31/10/2014 07:30:24:

"

The comments about punctuation are interesting, as many local authorities now leave out apostrophes on their street signs. King Edwards Road, for instance. Quite why they do this is a puzzle (probably some cost saving exercise), but it's incorrect and sets a bad example

It might save some argument if, as well as omitting the apostrophe, the final S was also removed.

It's a place name not a specific road which belonged to one of the King Edwards or all of them.

King Edward Road sounds good to me.

OK, I’ve been holding back but here goes….

Adults who sit cross legged

People wearing I pods in cars

Anybody driving a Nissan

The following phrases (especially when used by politicians) “boots on the ground. Not fit for purpose. Totally unacceptable. Our children and our children’s children”

Weather forecasters who tell you what weather has been

Sport at the end of the news. It’s not news

Any form of audience participation

Kias. As a concept

London centric news reporting

Pop ups on computers asking if you want it to do what you have just asked it to do

People who get apostrophes wrong.

People who complain about people getting apostrophes wrong

News reporters who use the word “everybody”. Normally associated with sport. As in “there is only one question on every bodies mind”. Invariably it is not on my mind and therefore the term everybody cannot be applied.

The song “Ironic”

The beach boys lyric “wouldn’t it be great if we were older, then we wouldn’t have to wait so long”. Why not “wouldn’t it be great if we were a bit older than that then we wouldn’t have to wait at all”

Whoever it is who comes in a sticks down the end of the cello tape.

Litter close to a bin

Cycle paths with abrupt 90 deg corners in them

People who go from lane 2 to lane one whilst driving past an ‘on’ slip road.

The ground. Especially when it’s 2ft high than the ideal.

Reporters who change units mid report ie “25% rising to 1 in 4”

Reporting tax rises at pence in the pound. Just say %

Outrage when a sportsman says or does something stupid. What do you expect? If there were cleaver they would have a proper job not chasing a ball up and down for a living.

People using E cigarettes. I can’t think of a reason, they just look smug.

There’s more (no really) but I’ve been asked to leave the day room and go back to my cell for a lay down.

Posted by Mr.B. on 31/10/2014 10:20:49:

OK, I’ve been holding back but here goes….

Anybody driving a Nissan

The following phrases (especially when used by politicians) “boots on the ground. Not fit for purpose. Totally unacceptable. Our children and our children’s children”

I agree with most of your points but have to take umbridge at the 2 above - I drive a Nissan Pixo - 60 to the Gallon on Petrol is fine by me.

I also use the the phrase, "not fit for purpose" on a semi-frequent basis, I do have to as part of my job as a Chartered Quality Professional - it has a clear and distinct meaning legally defined.

Sorry Olly, but this is my rant and I retain the right to be unjust, unfair and incoherent. But since it's you I'll let you off the fit for purpose thing as I'm thinking of politico's talking about the performance of a system where the purpose isn't really defined. Personally, I am both un fit and lack purpose.

I thought Umbridge was is in Sussex?

10 items or less.

People buying lottery tickets in petrol stations but not petrol

Any documentary where the presenter goes on a "journey"

Edited By Mr.B. on 31/10/2014 11:53:35

Wings,

(oh no. You're turning my own rant back at me. I shall use the philosophy of the east and deflect the blow)

Yeh, I hate that too.  It was in quote marks.  I was quoting someone who said it wrong.

Edited By Mr.B. on 31/10/2014 11:45:10

Posted by Tony K on 31/10/2014 10:10:05:
Posted by Cuban8 on 31/10/2014 07:30:24:

"

It might save some argument if, as well as omitting the apostrophe, the final S was also removed.

It's a place name not a specific road which belonged to one of the King Edwards or all of them.

King Edward Road sounds good to me.

Yes, quite agree with that.

I used King Edward's Road as an example, as it's a road that I know locally and they have got the punctuation correct in that case. However, many new build roads are named incorrectly and I'm tempted to add the missing apostrophe with a black marker where appropriate.

In a similar vein................ MOT's rather than MOTs, on garage signs.