Laser 180 Petrol

Jon H

To be fair, the fact that they did something wrong is usually a giveaway!

But, the big news is that I was able to run up my engines today and overall i am pleased with the results. I had a small problem with a pushrod out of adjustment with a 180 but once sorted the two 180's ran well and are ready to go. The 360 testing also produced interesting results and confirmed to me that the V twin rcxel ignition units really dont play well with our engine for some reason. Two single units works fine, V twin unit? nope.

Anyway that is an issue for another day.

i have video of some of the runs, i will post them later

Posted by Bucksboy on 12/10/2014 07:41:16:

Sorry, I've not heard about the Aspen petrol before. Where would I buy it? Do I have to do anything to my Saito petrol if I use it? Is it more expensive?

I've a friend who runs his Saitos on it, although I think he mixes his own oil in. You can buy it at most good garden machinery suppliers. It is more expensive but it doesn't smell, so your car doesn't stink after you've been flying.

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 01/08/2018 23:07:43:

i know. Its so frustrating as i know the market is there but i am apparently unable to convince my boss of how urgently we need it done.

Jon, if you are in a position to say what the target price of the production Laser 155 and 180 petrols might be, then perhaps you could run a poll on this forum asking who would put their money where their mouth is and actually purchase one of these petrols within the next twelve months (if they were available). Clearly it would only be a straw poll amongst those who frequent this forum but it might impress your boss sufficiently to invest in parts for production engines sooner rather than later?

At least this piece of market research would not cost anything! Just a thought.

Copied from Piers Bowlan's post.

"Jon, if you are in a position to say what the target price of the production Laser 155 and 180 petrols might be, then perhaps you could run a poll on this forum asking who would put their money where their mouth is and actually purchase one of these petrols within the next twelve months (if they were available). Clearly it would only be a straw poll amongst those who frequent this forum but it might impress your boss sufficiently to invest in parts for production engines sooner rather than later?

At least this piece of market research would not cost anything! Just a thought."

OK given a reasonable price, I'd be interested! Who else is?

Tom, it aint my fault. I cant build without parts

Pricing is a bit of hot topic. I want one thing, the boss wants another. All he see's is margin, i see sales. High margin is great until you dont sell any.

To be fair, its not quite that bad. And in any case it cant be 'cheap' as there is a great deal of work in it, but it will be competitive.

Now, the more interesting stuff. Two video's of the runs yesterday. Please read the descriptions in the video's as they give some explanation of what is going on. Apologies too for the state of the backdrop. Our old factory is a bit of a bomb site.

Posted by BackinBlack on 03/08/2018 10:29:34:

Looks and sounds very nice. Couldn't see any descriptions in the video, what should they tell us?

yea sorry, you need to open the video in youtube for that to work. I forgot about that and cant edit the post now. On the video in the forum just click the youtube icon on the bottom right and it will take you there.

Tom, it only works like that if you follow the instructions and as previously discussed, that wont happen!

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 03/08/2018 12:26:17:

Very nice, any chance of a photo of the rear of the engine, I'm intrigued to see the pump and carb.

ask and you shall receive. No idea why its all slanty. Its the right way up on my phone and on my pc but the forum software says no.

Some of this is yet to be sorted out. The bolt holing the choke plate is a place holder and the pump cover plate is raw steel and will be finished black on production engines, This is my 2nd prototype hence the dirt and grime. 

petrol pump.jpg

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 03/08/2018 12:40:54

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 03/08/2018 10:58:46:
Posted by BackinBlack on 03/08/2018 10:29:34:

Looks and sounds very nice. Couldn't see any descriptions in the video, what should they tell us?

yea sorry, you need to open the video in youtube for that to work. I forgot about that and cant edit the post now. On the video in the forum just click the youtube icon on the bottom right and it will take you there.

Tom, it only works like that if you follow the instructions and as previously discussed, that wont happen!

Thanks Jon, got it now.

I would be a little concerned about people not reading the instructions too. I suppose if a clunk was supplied in a bag with a warning note they would see it straight away or at least after they come out of the daze from looking at the engine lol. The carb and pump look really neat and plush. I won't be able to get one straight away but the 25cc is on my list for sure.

Posted by TartanMac on 03/08/2018 16:00:40:

I would be a little concerned about people not reading the instructions too. I suppose if a clunk was supplied in a bag with a warning note they would see it straight away or at least after they come out of the daze from looking at the engine lol. The carb and pump look really neat and plush. I won't be able to get one straight away but the 25cc is on my list for sure.

The problem is that no manufacturer can hand hold their customers. Short of flying the thing for them there is only so much I can do, and the more stuff I supply with the engine the more the baseline price keeps climbing. At the end of the day we are all adults and should be more than able to read a set of instructions.

If the instructions are poor or something is missing, then clearly that is something I will have to address but to be honest there are very few issues with the engine that require major attention. The main one from a running point of view is bubbles. From a safety point of view pipe security is the main one. If both of those are covered, and the fuel tank installation is as per the supplied diagram, its pretty much like a glow engine in terms of how to start it.

Posted by Gary Manuel on 03/08/2018 16:49:59:

Hi John.

Looks great.

As this engine has a separate pump, which is on the thrust line, does this mean that there will be no issues with tank positioning?

Within reason. The pump is for fuel metering and regulation only, its not intended to drain a Cornish mine so try to refrain from fitting your fuel tank to a wing tip or in the fin.

In all my testing the tank has been immediately behind the engine, usually on the crank c/l but its lower in the stampe. I have not tested it further away from the engine as that is not part it its intended purpose. It would probably be ok, but I have not tested it and it is not designed to operate in that way.

In reality, the setup now means that the fuel tank should sit immediately behind the engine and as that is exactly where most artf models intend the tank to go installation is very easy