Winter seems to have arrived, who's been flying?

Advert

There are days when nothing seems to go in your favour. Yet there is many a silver lining in the darkest cloud.

The weather seemed really good to take my HK Bf 110 (model number 2) to the field to coax my test pilot into undertaking his duties. Of course there was a problem that did bother me, I had to be some where else at 14:30 hours.

Due to time constraints I took my self flying Parkzone Stinson and that Bf 110.

No sign of the test pilot, although the two other modellers already at the field were about to test there new machines. Which i watched with interest, there were no issues for either modeller, all went without the smallest hiccup.

I decided that I would have one flight with the Stinson. After a careful check, I placed it on the patch, opened up the throttle, the model swung left, I applied a bit of right rudder. It gathered speed, just left the ground and swung left again, I put in some left aileron. The model just kept o going and caught a wing tip and cart wheeled. I picked it up, carefully checked it out. Again opened the throttle, only for the same set of events re-happen, with the addition of a broken wing tip and bent undercarriage.

Non the less, the club test pilot arrived. The model was carefully checked out. The model was placed on the patch, the throttle opened, only for a whole bizarre set of events to happen with the motors. One motor spontaneously opening up. and not immediately shutting down. Then it would not start, but the other did, again not shutting down. What is really galling, all aspects of the model had been checked numerous times at home, without a hint of an issue, yet now, all is different.

The only good thing is that non of this happened in the air, as it would have been terminal.

To cap of the unfortunate incidents, the builder i was meeting had arrived one hour early. Now I have earache as to why i never have a mobile phone with me.

Well there still is tomorrow.

Edited By Erfolg on 14/03/2015 17:31:21

Tomorrow has arrived.

I made my excuses to get out of the way of Mothers Day and headed to the field. I did notice prior to my departure that the trees were moving and our yucca bushes, were all movin, a good indication that there was a reasonable air speed.

I was a little surprised how many were at the field, although I did reflect that many of us are now at an age ourselves, that Mothers Day is a memory, for me sadly missed.

I had taken 3 models. The PZ Stinson being one and the first i took to the patch. I had considered what had gone wrong the previous day, concluding that the model in some respects is a little marginal, in that it does not have a significantly difference in airspeed from the cruise to max speed. The down wind take of in even a slight breeze leaving little to no margin between flying and not.

The last two days have had a predominantly eastern wind, which is the worst direction for out field. The pits being situated for safty reasons in such a position that a down wind take of is pretty much required.

I determined that i would make a cross wind take off, such that the model wold naturally swing to the right. On that basis i held full up in on the elevator, pushed the throttle to the max, and watched it go. After a run of sum 10 to 15 meters I eased of the elevator and away it rose, slowly, although safely. Eight minutes later it was back on the field, after quite a bumpy flight. Although at ground level the trees behind the pits give the impression that there is no wind .

Probably far more interesting was the first successful flight of a Vulcan, which is quite a bit bigger than the Free Plan Special. It wa quite an eventful flight, which indicated that there is some work to do in trimming and a few other issues. But a successful flight it was, to the relieve of all assembled.

After the excitement of the day, I decided not to bother with my other models, as it is still rather wintry up here in the Northen Powerhouse, as the region is now being billed.

As to be expected it was completely overcast and just 4c this morning for the eclipse. It did go considerably darker but that was your lot mate. 13:30 hrs, not a cloud in the sky and up to 12c, breeze too slight to even measure. Well that's just flipping tropical!

Watched the eclipse this morning, in North Yorkshire, through some intermittent high cloud but don't throw away those special glasses just yet, there's another one along in 2090 I hear. Went flying again, after eclipse, ten flights before it got too hairy. Surprised the amount of trimming needed after Winter storage but only needed to change two servos.

hello Brian-I know nothing about the finer points of the JU88...only that it was an electric model originally and that it was probably built from a plan...next time I see the owner I'll enquire/turn him upside down for info......on your behalf-may be a while.....patience ...

ken Anderson...ne...1 JU88 dept.

To date, I have not been out flying much this year, just one or two flights per session, with possibly only two sessions a week.crying 2

Today the weather here, in the "Northern Powerhouse" (I do so like this title), has been absolutely gorgeous. Again I have an issue, I need to be available now, to go out with the better half. Yesterday had me supervising builders, as I looked at the sky, thinking why must I be here, just because my daughter No.2 had better things to do.

So I was eager to get to the filed today. I took 4 models, my Albatross Dva, HK Arcus, the Delta and my old trainer. Even being early I was by no means the first, there being a Big Vulcan, about to undergo another test, development flight. a very big petrol powered Hurricane had started up, and was taxing to the end of the field.

I watched it trundle noisily (being an electric flyer all IC models are noisy to me), where it lined up into what little wind there was. I then watched as it trundled across the grass, bouncing along, on the undulating surface of our one time refuse tip. It rose majestically into the air, then started a slow climbing turn. I watched for a few minutes whilst it made some large circuits. After some 3 or 4 minutes, the model was going through some mild,probably scale aerobatics, a few loops, rolls, wing overs. I watched with some envy, how well the model and modeller were doing. When I heard an exclamation, as the model, was going down vertically from a considerable height in a spiral axial dive (not a spin). I waited for the model to pull out, then it disappeared behind a screen of trees, followed by a crump.

I took a bearing on a pylon in line with where it went down and then a similar point behind me. Then followed others across the scrub land, past the trees, to the high banking of our river. The model could be seen on the far bank, just sitting there, amassing we all said.

As I walked back and thought of the Kinks, song "See my Friends"

See my plane, see my plane.

Layin across the river

She has gone in

Now there is nothing left

She just went in. across the river! and so on

Back at the field, I was just in time to see the Vulcan, bounce across the field, my test pilot lift the model of. The motors were going full chat, the nose was high, the model just was holding its own. Decidedly on the very edge of just fling, the nose was lowered, the model started to descend, the motors were then cut and the model descended to an apparently heavy landing.

I was now with the Hurricane flyer and a few other lads, where we discussed and argued where it actually was and how to get to it. I volunteered to go with the owner, as I recently had my Bf 110, go in, possibly a 1/2 mile from it. I had learnt a lot from the experience about the lanes and tracks in the area.

We drove to within probably 200 yards down ever narrower lanes then bumpy earth track from where it went in. I went down to the river bank though some pretty rough terrain. What greeted my eyes was amassing, the fus had one side totally destroyed, the other half just a bag of loose stringers in the rough shape of a Hurricane. I looked around, gathered all the little bits, When it struck me, this is all very light, where is the engine? Buried a good 6-12" into the ground, after a lot of rauching, I wrestled it out of the ground. Now the smell of petrol was every where. I took the bits back to the car in 2 lots, the wing being in only two pieces.

Meanwhile, yet another model went in. Ours is a unforgiving field, that seems to demand a weekly sacrifice to allows to use it.

Back at the field, i quickly made two flights, with the Albatros and Arcus, landed successfuly, whilst I was ahead, and a appointment to keep, I went home.

Took the Radian out today. Lovely weather, wind was low but some random gusts made landings fun. Best bit was what appeared to be a buzzard taking a lot of interest in the plane. It was really close following every turn for a while, but did not attack. It was not bothered when I powered up the motor either. I have a few seconds of video of it from my phone but I was around 500ft (sorry 400!) at the time so not that easy to see. I may post it. Real birds are amazing.

Got the DH60 maiden flight done today. First flight a goodly amount of down trim needed. So either keep the elevator as is or put down thrust in. Did the adjustment in the elevator sub trim on the Futaba 9cap and add more elevator up to compensate. Second flight sooooo much better. I was able to hold the plane level on take off and climbed away much more gently. Had enough elevator for a decent flare out.

party

haven't seen that sight for few years John, when did they pop the wind turbine up?

I had few flights today and ripped the left rudder of the atom trying once again to get a decent head speed, this time in 7mph wind she tried to lift way to early and performed a very large and embarrassing ground loop to the left, about 40' diameter, trying desperately to keep the rotors of the ground by giving her all the right aileron she has, managed it just, at the cost of the rudder.

Edited By Phil Winks on 22/03/2015 21:11:47

And a very pleasant afternoon here in Surrey too. Though it did get a little chilly later on, I had a couple of flights without wearing gloves before admitting defeat and getting the gloves out again! At least the wind was fairly friendly - not too strong or gusty and mostly in a direction that wasn't completely across the strip.