Winter seems to have arrived, who's been flying?

Advert

Went down the patch today.

Wind was up around 10 knots and so much rain over the last few days that it was quite flooded.

Had a few flights with the Pulse but kept flipping it over with all the water.

Had a great time floating in the wind no power needed.

Mike

Had a few hours up the field today, cold but perfect flying weather maidened my FMS let 13 glider which could of gone a bit better but nothing a bit of glue won't solve. Decided to put myself forward as an instructor as the few instructors we have are getting a little swamped with new members so I think it will be good to give something back and help one or two of the new guys.

Mark.

I reflected on my metrological powers this morning, as i walked for newspaper. I am 100% accurate, every bit as good as the BBC weather team. There was a medium density fog, the air freezing cold with not a breath of wind. Yes 100% spot on. I am just as good as to yesterdays weather, in this area. My main and one and only failing is what will happen later, just like the BBC, no shame here then! I did ponder that if the sun breaks through, the fog will lift.

Having eaten breakfast, completed half the Seduko I loaded the car. I took my Parkzone Stinson Reliant, on the basis that if I loose it in the fog, there will be the minimum of tears, fine flyer that it is, it is about as exciting as a Piper Cub. My Delta, as the colour scheme may be visible against a white background, along with my OD trainer, being a nice yellow stands out well.

As i wound my way down the lane to the field, I did ponder, is the mist thicker, the thermometer is certainly a whole degree lower at 0 degree. At least all the mud will be solid I thought, that will save my boots being caked in the stuff. I was wrong, the mud was still mud, grrrrrrrrrrrrr

On the field itself there was certainly flying taking place,these Parkzone gyro stabilised models were flying. Although they did become vague shapes pretty dam quick. Then a heli took to the air, this seemed to stay visible, although the extravagant manoeuvres were absent.

There was a significant number of club members present, all talking of thei and that, I just noted the cold, the denser fog along the river and that I was getting ever colder.

I shouldered my Tx box by its strap, picked up my model and said good bye and scuttled of home.much warmer.

Again my wether prediction was spot on, the fog did clear. The time after lunch. I will be as bold to make further predictions, there will be rain and somewhere in the UK there will be snow. Precisely when and where is difficult to be to precise. Oh, I almost forgot, there will be some windy days before the summer solstice.

Edited By Erfolg on 18/01/2015 20:34:27

Edited By Erfolg on 18/01/2015 20:35:04

Edited By Erfolg on 18/01/2015 20:35:20

Edited By Erfolg on 18/01/2015 20:36:14

beautiful day today but so cold. Took the boy with me today which he enjoyed and did very well in the temperature. Lobbed everything in the car so as to get home and warm quickly and discovered when I got home that the exhaust on the chilli breeze had rotated 180 which a) means I don't have to worry that it was chucking out black oil and b) has melted a hole in the covering. Grrr

Not been able to fly for one reason and another since mid-November, finally got out this afternoon, despite a beautiful morning turning into a grey, overcast chilly afternoon. Put my Black Bogey into the air and managed to fly out one battery pack before overcast turned into drizzle. (

Brilliant! It might have been only 10 minutes - but it was well worth the wait. The Bogey is a hoot with a 4s - great to warm your thumbs up before you fly something easier to break, and despite having prettier, "better bred" planes in the shed - if I could only keep one airframe it would have to be the Bogey.

Here in South Greater Manchester, thankfully nothing. That is other than light occasional rain, enough to stop me flying (club day).

However when my wife lived at Red Lumb (probably long gone, demolished), which was near to Norden, there would often be snow, or rain, where as here nothing.

So near yet so far away. 20-30 miles?

Posted by Erfolg on 21/01/2015 15:21:20:

Here in South Greater Manchester, thankfully nothing. That is other than light occasional rain, enough to stop me flying (club day).

However when my wife lived at Red Lumb (probably long gone, demolished), which was near to Norden, there would often be snow, or rain, where as here nothing.

So near yet so far away. 20-30 miles?

I'm actually on the Manchester/Stockport/Ashton border and we have no snow at all, yet 10 mile away its like Siberia!

Just come back from maidening the Model Tech Magic Fun Fly. I paid about £25 for it last summer, an eBay purchase and about £12 for an old Irvine 30 to power it. With that combination it's not going to win any competitions but it's good cheap fun. I particularly liked doing touch and goes with it. I took two other models with me but didn't even assemble them. Three other hardy types were there.

No snow here, yet. I went to the club field on Monday afternoon as it was calm and sunny if very cold. To get into the field we go through a gate then up a sloping track and turn right onto grass towards the pits and parking. At this time of year the right turn is churned mud so I parked on a concrete slab at the top of the track even if it meant a walk to the pits. Never mind, better than getting stuck! I had a few flights with a VSP electric and a micro P51, the one with A3SX, as it was almost calm. No one else turned up and by mid afternoon the sun was getting low and it felt even colder. I'd taken some charged batteries and used them so didn't want to wait for one to re-charge and decided to go home. My first flights of 2015 because I've been abroad since mid December until last week. Hope to get there again soon and possibly to the slope.

Had my first visit of the year to our field on Tuesday. Beautiful day. No wind, bright blue sky and a balmy 4 degrees eventually. All on my own. Had a couple of flights with the venerable i.c. Wot 4, another couple with the battered but brilliant Formosa and managed one flight with my Mini Robot before technical issues (I dropped a lipo through the wing covering) grounded it. Great to be out.

I tried again today but the closer to the field I got the thicker the fog became, so it was not to be. Went back home where it was still sunny and flew my Crack Yak instead. The Yak's a godsend for days I can't get to the field. It's over two and a half years old now, has 622 flights in the logbook and is still going strong. Would be more if I hadn't bought a Crack Laser which now shares home flying duty with it. Love 'em both.

6 batteries worth with my Radjet today (Each battery only lasts 4 mins max though) Was a bit windy really but the model has plenty of power running on 4 cells. I did a speed test with GPS, and its max was 123mph.

I flew at a new club that I have just joined Cramlngton And District Model Aircraft Club (CADMAC) was nice to fly with a different view and there was no doggy walkers to get in the way.

baz

Well I was back at CADMAC again this morning for 9.15am.

One 15 minute flight with my Twinstar and 7 minutes with my Radjet all before 10am smiley Then I had two 15 minute flights with my old Nexus 32. This is the big advantage flying at CADMAC over my usual club BVRMC as you can fly ic from 10am where as it's 11.30am on a Sunday at Blyth. Still never been another member there yet while I've been, it was a little bit windy but I'll fly in most conditions to be honest.

baz