Winter seems to have arrived, who's been flying?

All alone at BVRMC's flying field again yesterday for 2 hours just me and Ruby my dog. Was a bit windy really but I'll fly in anything to be honest, as would be sat waiting a long time for perfect conditions here on the coast.

I had a 15 minute flight with my Twinstar and three 9 minute flights with my newly finished CanDoo. That's 5 flights with the CanDoo now and it is starting to feel like a decent model.

Baz

Well I flew the weekend before last, but not the weekend just gone. Sat. 13th was breezy - and directly across the strip. I caught a 'lump' of turbulence on landing and snapped the nylon undercarriage bolts. I took the hint! The following day was much better.

This weekend had a cold stiff breeze directly across the strip - like last Saturday. I didn't bother going... Sunday was warmer less cold but windier and today windier still. I'd hoped to be able to fly at least a day or two whilst I'm off work this week - but it looks like tomorrow will be similar. Wednesday and Friday are looking a bit better though...

There is an arrangement where I live that any day I am busy will be bright, warmish with a gentle breeze....any time I should wish to even so much as think about something balsa or foam leaving the ground will be met with hurricane force winds and horizontal rain. Or fog. Or I get an unspecified flu like virus. Or the wife has an urgent decorating job for me. Or it's 03:35 hrs and a bit dark. I think there is a pattern developing here....don't you? I really enjoy reading about everyone else having a wonderful maiden with a new build, or just cruising around on a summer evening, maybe a fun contest with bbq at the club.......what's it like? Winter, I can't even find summer flying!

Gerhart

My building room is not large enough for tables and chairs, I make do with one table, one drawing board, used for building. Now i have two Dremels, I do little carving and certainly never wash my models in the dishwasher, I find a squeezey bottle with soap and water and a towel for cleaning is far more convenient.

As for flying, just out the once in the last week, and then no one from club no.2 turned up, I was used to this at club No. 1, is there a message here? crying 2

I am pleased that things are going well for you Gerhard

I also wish others a Happy Christmas and an excellent New Year.

I will be down to our field at club No.2 tomorrow, and will be hoping that others will be there, which will be the last time this year.

I hope to post a few pictures of the field next year, as major improvements have been made. There are a number of ways of looking at things. There is an obligation with respect to the rental agreement as posted on a sign, to maintain the field and its environs. I am left with the impression that the now disbanded conservation group, that they much preferred a Wilded environ. Anyway the field has been maintained to how it was some 5 years back, rather more trees etc than there were 30 years ago.

I find it slightly amusing some of the events which lead to the club intensive maintenance programme which went on for many days, on and off. Perhaps what illustrates, some of the events, that each flying session, resulted in a model being lost. Many losses involved some very skilled, experienced and competent modellers.

To my mind, a much more useful space for the local community, for walking and enjoying the country side and of course much better for us modellers.

Edited By Erfolg on 23/12/2014 16:18:54

Must be 3 months or more since Terry and I flew together so he came up today for an exchange of postal packets and a chance to go home with some clean leccy models....smile

We took advantage of a gorgeous day, with loads of sunshine and 12C temps:

231214 nice day.jpg

Terry brought up his Spacewalker and E-Flite Cub and I had my Phoenix Rainbow, Reichard Champion and HK Spacewalker:

23 12 14 1

231214 2

First flight and it became evident that Terry's Spacewalker was struggling a bit - it transpired that his Nano-Techs have become rather tired - so a replacement with a youthful Zippy 4S 3300 restored some oomph and he enjoyed a decent flight with it:

231214 spacewalker.jpg

Plenty of other flights with his Cub and my Rainbow and Spacewalker followed, together with an outing for the Champion, which found enough weak lift to scrape around for a spell.

It was a day of many contrails, some of which were spreading to cover an enormous area of sky, far bigger than those seen here:

231214 contrail.jpg

Finished the day with a nice cuppa and wedge of Betty Crocker's Devils Food cake.....smile p

Pete

Boxing Day : Grabbed the chance before the forecast higher winds and rain later today for a trip to the Club field and a single battery worth of Acro-Wot Foam-E flying

Could not do more as I discovered for myself that the tips of fingers start getting very painful with the cold , should have tried that mitten / tx cover I got free with the RCM&E subscription !

The fog finally cleared here today. I spent a chilly hour and a bit at the field with the simple relaxing pleasure of flying my little R/E Graupner Uhu.

Sometimes simple flying machines provide all the enjoyment one needs.

Hopefully, the improved weather will continue for tomorrow.

Edited By Steve Colman on 26/12/2014 21:48:20

Posted by Bravo Delta on 26/12/2014 21:05:11:

Boxing Day : Grabbed the chance before the forecast higher winds and rain later today for a trip to the Club field and a single battery worth of Acro-Wot Foam-E flying

Could not do more as I discovered for myself that the tips of fingers start getting very painful with the cold , should have tried that mitten / tx cover I got free with the RCM&E subscription !

That's what we found today too - even with new fingerless gloves the tips of my fingers were soon in agony, cutting the flights short. Nice to get out though, and beautiful to find the field swathed in a heavy frost - got some decent aerial video footage too. Think that'll be it for a few days though - snow forecast tomorrow.

Went flying this morning got there about 8 found half a dozen guys there, had a good couple of hours in bright sunshine, 20deg, cloudless skys and no wind, had to take a couple of skins of because i was sweating

No damage to the models , excelent morning

Cyprus has some good points smile dwink