Winter seems to have arrived, who's been flying?

I had a good session yesterday flying my Wot4 /Irvine 53. I don't know why I don't fly this more as its good fun but working it out yesterday it's been almost a year since it's last outing, started first flick tho

Our club site was sodden after weeks of rain & the sticky conditions on the strip ripped out a couple of foamy UC's

I had also arraigned to meet a chap from the forum who is looking to start out in the hobby so it was good to show him the ropes & discuss various options and point out what he needs to get going.

Went down yesterday late afternoon, again absalutly no wind. 2 flights with my Radjet which looks like the battery's are only good for a 2 minute flight. And 1 flight with my Pushycat. Not a bad turnout for a winters day, about 8 of us. Hoping to nip down again today (we've got a dog so I us the excuse of needing to walk her ha)

Baz

Nice afternoon yesterday here in Surrey, and a decent turnout. Very little wind - just enough so there was no question which direction to take off and land, but not the blustery conditions we've fought against quite a lot recently.

Today is looking a bit hazy at the moment, hopefully it will clear up a bit later on, but I doubt we'll have the blue skies and sunshine we had at least some of the time yesterday afternoon.

Hi Folks,

Just came back from a quick sesh up on one of the local spots. I don't think anyone flies up there - wide open spaces , not a soul about . Just the wind and the buzzing of the brushless with some great views down to Lake Konstanz today.

Thanks to the wife for the pics. She was quite relieved when I had a prang - and the rudder fell off - as her hands were getting very cold.

Cheers Todd

Posted by John Privett on 16/11/2014 11:53:06:
Today is looking a bit hazy at the moment, hopefully it will clear up a bit later on, but I doubt we'll have the blue skies and sunshine we had at least some of the time yesterday afternoon.

And that is how it was... At least there was only a gentle breeze, but it was certainly a little chillier than yesterday - hat and gloves made their first appearance (for me at least) since last spring. The BBC were forecasting rain at 4pm, and sure enough at 3:58pm the rain arrived. It was only 10 minutes before sunset anyway, so we didn't lose too much flying time!

2 more quick flights with my Radjet today.

Arrived at the field at 3,30pm straight up in the sky one battery after the other and away by 3.50 ha. Doesn't take long since my Radjet battery's only last about two and a half minutes.

Quick warning to all Radjet owners - my model has only had 20 minutes of flying and I noticed one of the elevons had started to crack and come away along the hinge line. So back at home I cut them both straight off and will replace them with some new ones made from 1/4" balsa covered white and mylar hinged.

baz

Looks like you had a good day Cymaz!

I had a day off on Friday (using up unused holiday that I can't carry forward into next year!) and I'd hoped for at least one day's flying out of the long weekend. But yesterday and today have been damp and dismal. Tomorrow's forecast is for heavy rain all day... Oh well, there's always next weekend!

Today was a real pea-souper - you could barely see your hand in front of your face, so this afternoon I drove a few kms out of town, went up to about 800m, came out above the fog and arrived at the picnic table flying club of which I am the only member!

In the first picture the base layer of fog can be seen below with Mount Santis just to the left of the picnic table standing at 2,500m in distant Switzerland.

The last picture I took by pre-focusing the camera, letting the plane glide then snatching the camera off the table and snapping away before grabbing the controls again.

About 20 metres away from the picnic table is a smooth tarmac track along which the occasional combine or tractor runs. As it breasts the hill it has a flat section of 10m and I think this will make a good runway when I progress in a few weeks to the 'Spirit' sports model that I'm currently building.

Got out this afternoon to maiden my Laser Arrow delta wing despite low light and low cloud.

Low light meant that for most of the time it was just a black triangle in the sky and a vertical roll became interesting when it inadvertently disapeared into the low cloud. Still, a nice & exciting hours flying.

Unfortunately there are now sheep in the field and the final landing got rather "messy"

The spinner was the worst! Lifted the plane off the ground and as I stood it up on end a huge blob slid off the spinner into the ground!

Got a bit of cleaning to do now.

I am so glad we don't have sheep where I fly! (Though we do have cows at my local slope when I go there. Fortunately they tend not to wander around and leave "deposits" on the short grass where we land - other bits of the slope seem much more interesting to them!)

But what a glorious day it was today for late November. Sunshine and temps of around 13C this afternoon. We had a good turnout and flew until sunset, which sadly these days now occurs before 4pm. No hats or gloves for me either.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless we get a good hard frost to solidify the ground at both of the fields that I use, then it'll be either indoor, a bit of heli hovering in the back garden and a bit of stick time on the sim until next spring for me. I just don't do mud these daysangry and as for sheep...................................!