Winter seems to have arrived, who's been flying?

With the days getting shorter, it seems time to start a new thread on flying field/activity reports. That said, until the weekend, the autumn weather had been incredibly mild, we were down to t-shirts at the patch on Fri. The club mower is still seeing use. Long shadows in the afternoon. 

octpatch.jpg

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 03/11/2014 15:53:55

Late October holiday to Great Yarmouth & the wife & kids allowed me to take a couple of wings with me so 3 hours power off slope soaring/aeros off the sand dunes/sea defences last Wednesday followed by some night flying in the sand dunes on Thursday evening!

Other than that the wind was too strong and the wrong direction for the rest of the week but still good for teaching my little lad how to fly my parafoil kite. My daughter still thinks kites are boring, after all it's just holding onto some string! surprise

Got my repaired I/c Renegade up on Sunday. A bit windy but if we don't learn to fly on the windy days then we don't end up flying much in winter, so needs to be done. Trying a 3s LiFe battery with regulator instead of the old NiMH things that only have a small fraction of useable capacity for the receiver. Worked well.

Edited By GrahamWh on 03/11/2014 22:53:37

Hi all. Had another flight on this S Bach today. That`s number 30. Its become the most popular plane in my club with 6 in use now. Put a Riot U/C on mine as the left leg would bend under on even the most gentle of arrivals ! 5 have been ok but one has needed 2 ESC`s and a servo has gone today without it getting airborne . For £95 a bargain !!Colin006.jpg

Been a bit windy for a while and I have been waiting to maiden my little Luton Minor, built from the Dave Royd's plan. Forecast for this morning was flat calm so I set the alarm for 6:30 to allow me to get to the patch for a spot of early test flying before work. When I arrived it was very misty and there was ice all over the benches, but after a while enough sky appeared for a circuit.

Test flights went very well, a few clicks of trim on the first. CG seemed conservative so i started removing some of the plasticine from the battery bay, two more flights and it was all out and the little plane was flying very nicely. Sadly all good things must come to an end and it was off to work.

dave

yes nice place Percy-its council owned and we pay a licence fee to them on a yearly basis....and have to adhere to the rules etc that are set out.........also its shared with other user's who we have to take in to consideration...the buildings you refer to are farm properties ......... originally it was the towns rubbish tip.....what you see in the photo is not all ours-we have boundaries on all sides which we try not to over-fly at low level as it causes problems for the farm livestock/horses......and behind where I took the photo is a large bank of woodland....

ken Anderson....ne...1 ....... club/site dept.

no issue's Percy-people have been flying here since the 60's......we have rules we have to stick by-and we try to go by the BMFA rules and guideline's.........most of us who are members now are the next generation club wise and as such try to keep everything going for the next one's................. most member's go along with things-and we have the occasional disagreements...as I'm sure most other organisation's do....but the regular user's are a friendly/helpful set of people.....

ken Anderson......ne.....1.. off topic dept(sorry).

We've been having a great time at North Leeds, this year has seen a plethora of new members for our club and with it some exciting new interests.

Colin has been busily scaling up his Extra 330L, all hand made and not bad for a plumber !

not bad for a plumber !

One of our new members Nigel has been tinkering with quads and took some lovely video last week, its it amazing how the hobby has changed, who'd of thought that great aerial video was so affordable.

Posted by Daves42 on 04/11/2014 16:14:22:

Perfect flying conditions here in Hertfordshire after many days of high winds and/or rain.

Flew the Acromaster till I ran out of batteries. Weekday mornings as usual a bit lonely but, great flying.

David

crying I had to sit in the office in Stevenage all day looking at the beautiful conditions; why is it that the weekdays are nice and the weekends are rubbish for flying???

Posted by Martin Whybrow on 04/11/2014 20:29:03:
Posted by Daves42 on 04/11/2014 16:14:22:

Perfect flying conditions here in Hertfordshire after many days of high winds and/or rain.

Flew the Acromaster till I ran out of batteries. Weekday mornings as usual a bit lonely but, great flying.

David

crying I had to sit in the office in Stevenage all day looking at the beautiful conditions; why is it that the weekdays are nice and the weekends are rubbish for flying???

I have the same problem Martin..it's not fair