Winter seems to have arrived, who's been flying?

Lovely weather and delicious sausage rolls at the MKMAA - blue sky and little wind. had a light with the Angel 50 and after that with the Dawn Flyer. Had to go to the side as 2 other models took off - and lost radio contact! It came back for a few second or so, I put in full throttle and pulled it into a left hand curve to come closer - it lost control again and stalled nicely (as I pulled it and the fail save switched off the engine...) flipping over and into a field out of sight.

Fuselage broken into a few pieces, wings in one piece, actually it looks repairable.

The led on the satellite receiver was flashing, the led on the main receiver was on. so no brown out as it looks. Receiver is a Spektrum DSM2 AR6200, Transmitter a JR DSX11. There are no metal or carbon parts on the dawn flyer except the metal foil at the front and a push rod for the elevator..

I made a range check with the Angel before I went out with it again - had good 40m of range with the lowered signal. Didn't make the range check with the Dawn flyer after the crash as I had no mechanical connecting with rudder or elevator (2-piece fuselage...)

So this disturbed my flying day a little, especially because I don't know why it happened. I prefer a crash after a nice pilot error, than I can blame myself and hope to learn something from it.

VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 28/12/2014 22:00:10

Advert

Had a nice day at RR Hucknall with Paul. The 55AX in the Magic was very reluctant to start in the cold and went dead in the air. Landed and changed the plug & went again but mistakenly restarted the timer and ran out of fuel! Another deadstick slightly outfield! The Hurricane Funfighter was badly out of trim and dropped to a belly landing on launch! Changed the prop for a full one again & went again. Trimmed out & flew almost silently on the SC.25 at quarter throttle but couldn't cut the engine for landing resulting in another second hand prop!

My star plane of the day was my Vmar Tomahawk which stood out nicely against the blue sky and cruised around slow and scale. Stood on a frozen runway watching the warbirds, float planes and flying boats. A perfect Sunday to end 2014!

Hello all. Took my Acrowot Foam E and Sebart S Bach 30E out at 9 this morning. Ground frozen and no wind but no sun either !! Had 3 flights on each aircraft and still marvel at how well the Sebart flies. I could probably use a bit more power but it goes vertical far enough for my eyes. But what I really like is how it virtually lands itself with no input from me !! I can see a purchase of a Wind 50 E coming up next year if it will fit the Merc A Class with passenger seat folded forwards. Don`t tell `er indoors !!! No one else out when I left at 11.15.

Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 30/12/2014 12:24:10

Managed to get out yesterday, clear blue skies, a windless 2? here in west Wales. Seven brave souls turned up at the patch, enjoying a post Christmas spot of fresh air. Two maidens, both successful, the first was on the Sebart Shark 30e, on a Hacker 30 14L, with 14x7" prop. Couple of clicks of down trim and all was well. Should make for a good trainer and slow acrobatic flying. The second maiden was on my HJ Alien quadcopter frame with Eagle Tree Vector flight controller, as reviewed in the latest issue of RCM&E. Great little quad, and pretty good controller. Happy flying everyone.

One and a half hours alone at the field. Flew the Uhu twice to test with Mobius attached in different orientations. The little plane noticed the extra weight but still flew well. Then flew my Acromaster with Mobius.

Viewed the results on return home and have to say how the Mobius is everything everyone says it is. Very happy.

Hoping to strap it to some of my bigger models over the next few days.

John, I have a Shark and it's a lovely relaxing flyer that can also do some elegant looking aerobatics. A super model.

Well I finished off my 2014 season this afternoon at my home club site BVRMC

I had 1 flight with my CanDoo and 2 flights with my Radjet. Was a nice afternoon with a 7-10mph westerly winds. Just me and one other flyer and one none flying visitor.

Defiantly had more flights this year than I had the whole of the previous couple of years combined. Ambition for 2015 is to stop been lazy always flying electric and get my ic back out.

Baz

Had the Wednesday off so finally got some flying done at St. Austell DMC, ( by the way just spent the last 4 days putting a web site together for them...I know nothing about web stuff)

It was dry but the wind was a 12-15 mph down the strip, southerly.

Only about 5 turned up though ,we all had a really pleasant afternoons flying, gossip and plenty of hot drinks. Four of us flew Wot4's and Richard flew his Hobbyking Racer Cat 60 /Saito . A really sorted little plane, smooth, good glide, axial rolls, no nasty habits. Quite a performer.

All had packed up by 3.30 heading home. Glad to get tothe field after several weeks....it cured my cabin fever. Happy new year all.

Edited By cymaz on 01/01/2015 07:01:13

Edited By cymaz on 01/01/2015 07:04:58

I'd like to report unusually pleasant benign conditions for the first day of this year. Unfortunately it was overcast and blowing half a gale and only one clubmate joined me for the inaugural 2015 session. Both our models escaped unscathed despite interesting approaches - hopefully the weather will improve through the year - Happy New Year all!

Just fantastic!

Flew the Solius yesterday afternoon in blue skies and calm but cold conditions. Did some video with Mobius on board....lovely last flight of the year.

Today was even better; blue skies, no wind and temps at more or less 11c. Four hours of fun at the filed with great friends and more Mobius videos on board the Solius.

Very good end to last year and beginning of this one.

Happy new Year to everyone. May it be filled with lots of good flying adventures.

Managed to get out last Sunday to Woodford as there was a break in the weather, it was cold but sunny. Here are a few pictures, first one is my Sky-120 the second a Tony N Wellington on test flights ready for the show season we are hoping to have around 6 or more flying together, fingers crossed. The next picture is the Avro Heritage Museum being built on site with XM603 just to the left. The last picture is XM603 looking a bit sorry for herself but the good news is it will be getting some much needed TLC soon and will be apart on the Museum.

dsc_0003_1940.jpgwelly 1.jpg

dsc_0013_1950.jpg

dsc_0050_1987_01.jpg

Edited By LMA Dave on 03/01/2015 09:18:44

Edited By LMA Dave on 03/01/2015 09:20:28

Edited By LMA Dave on 03/01/2015 09:22:44

I was awaken by my wife this morning, or was it still night? Everything was as black as coal, not a hint of light through the blind, nor the tell tale strips of light leaking through the edges. I knew she had to get up early to go to church, but why at this ungodly hour? Then I realised it was 08:30, not so early why so dark? Downstairs our cat was barking, as that is all it can be called, for its breakfast.

Stepping out of the door i was enveloped by an icy chill, dense fog making all shades of grey and white. As I walk, i saw drops of water hanging from branches, like Christmas tree jewels. Touching them, these drops were frozen water, the footpath slippy underfoot.

So there will be no flying again today, the third club flying day on the run!

By 09:30 the sun was breaking through the fog in patches, as i loaded the car. Only three models, as in all probability there will be no fling away from the housing. The car juddered into life, some symbol lighting up the panel for a brief second, a coil of some sort, the instant start did not happen, whilst i pondered the meaning, it just burst into life, then the car slowly defrosted itself, area by area. As I drove to the field, walkers were just dark outlines, yet not 10 minutes later all the fog was gone,from the road.

Pulling into the car park, it was evident that fog still lingered, on the field and a dense ribbon of fog followed the path of the Mersey. No one here either, as I clambered from the car, pulling my fur lined hat on, the flaps covering my ears from the icy cold. As i wrapped my jacket around me, a dim glow from the lights of another vehicle approaching could be seen, then the outline became visible, the white almost blending into the mist, camouflage at its best I thought.

I took a model onto the field with my Tx box, up onto the field, the grass as white as snow. Of course I was not the first up there, two other modellers were up there already, a third car had arrived. Whilst I contemplated, what to do, a helicopter burst into life, lept of the ground, the exhaust making its own contribution to the mist, yet the ever more powerful sun and the down draft from the copter had the mist and exhaust rolling along the ground as the mist rapidly became a thing of the past.

The turn out increased rapidly, many models committed to the air, seldom is the air so still! Models of all sorts flying DF Hunter, a really modern looking Autogyro from HK, most impressive. A NA Bronco of about 40-50" span. Numerous canards, all Candos, except my own, which is an OD, in most respects quite different. When built, the model exhibited some issues, after a lot of development and discussions with Mr R Harris, the fin area was doubled. Now a total pussy cat, turning on a sixpence, lands at walking pace, its only limitation is speed or the lack of it, much, much, much power is needed.

My three models flown were a PZ Albatross, a HK Arcus and my canard.

What set aside this day as special, was the clear blue sky, completely still air, in which the models and all their colours were clearly visible. Though our field is cursed with the sun being low down, in the wrong place at this time of the year, when it is out. Today, it was out, it was really out, Although the air never quite lost its chill.

At 12:30 I scurried of home, unloaded the car in the still cold air in suburbia.

Erfolg waxing lyrically - perhaps we should rename him "Pilit Laureate"?

Went down to Hough End this afternoon, playing field slick and slippy from freshy defstrosted mud.. cold and crisp wind about 5mph, good turn out too - couple of flights while me pinkies slowly frooze

A ground loop on landing (no damage) my fault didnt flair properly, second flight turn on the upwind leg of a circuit fine, come to turn back towerds me, no response to rudder movement just carries straight on, then a vicious yaw into the circuit chucking me nose down... managed to recover it before mother earths deadly embrace - Thats in the general area that other have lost models too - has too be some sort of signal interuption down by the Police Dog training place and the ATC huts

Well up here in the wild North, twas a beautiful day for flying. The sun shone, no or little wind, everything was great for a sharp and frosty day. We're a small club which suits us well, all members bar one who was down with man flu present and correct. A good day had by all, our site allows for the sun on our backs. Its great for flying.

no wimps up here.

Although a bit foggy went up the field anyway to be greeted by sunshine which was nice. On my third flight one of my fellow club mates shouted a warning of fog coming in from behind us and within 30 seconds it was upon us and time to land. Good day though.

Mark.

Dave

I can only speak for myself. For me aeromodellig is much more than just guiding a plane.

If it were not we could all sit at home and play on a simulator.

For me there is the aspect of meeting and talking with others. This aspect i am reluctant to write about, as it is far to easy to cause unintended offence. Yet this aspect can provide a lot of pleasure.

Another aspect is actually getting out of the house and feeling the weather, rather than the artificial home environment, although I am often glad to retreat into mt cocoon.

Then there is the physical environment, of the grass, trees and all the rest, observations of birds and other wild life. From the fox encountered searching for an errant model, or the startled grouse or hare. When primarily gliding i would spend hours understanding my environment as this is what made the difference between finding a thermal or not, quite often.

Do not start me on building models.

There is a lot to write about in our hobby!