Winter seems to have arrived, who's been flying?

Advert

Posted by John Privett on 22/12/2014 21:36:25:

...I'd hoped to be able to fly at least a day or two whilst I'm off work this week - but it looks like tomorrow will be similar. Wednesday and Friday are looking a bit better though...

I still haven't flown this week. This afternoon doesn't look too good either, but tomorrow is looking better. No doubt there will be a sudden improvement in the weather when I return to work on Tuesday.

Hi guys,
A bit off the actual topic subject but still the same!

I'm from Southern Australia and at the moment we are heading into summer.

While you folk are heading into hibernation for your winter and waiting for a clear day to get out for a fly, down here we need to get back in before it gets to hot! Currently it is the beginning of Summer and the temperature is around the high 20's(C) to mid 30's. Towards the end of this week it is forecast to start hitting the 40's.

As I am from the Southern part of Oz (Adelaide) we tend to get a more dry heat than other parts therefore getting out early in the mirnings for a fly is the only way to enjoy it without being too uncomfortable.

So there you go. Whilst you folk are warming up the hangars for some build/repair time, down here in South Oz, we are trying to keep things cool and stay out of the heat!

Rosco

Hi Rosco,

My sister lives in Perth, WA and she often "reminds" me what the weather is like down there!

The summer weather in the south of Spain is fairly similar, and a few years back whilst on holiday there I wandered off in search of the local model flying club. They told me that - just like many UK clubs - they also have indoor flying sessions in a suitable sports hall. But whereas we do it in the winter, they have their indoor sessions in the summer when it's too hot. On the day I visited they carried on flying until about noon when they gave up as it was getting a bit hot.

I lived in OZ in the late Seventies, in Unley for some of the time Rosco, I recall that car drivers used to stick huge "fans" to their car windscreens with suction pads in order to provide some shade to the interior and to prevent the vinyl-covered crash padding on the dashboard from cracking in the heat! Do they still do that?

Mind you it was quite cool in July. I remember one radio DJ crowing about the temperature reaching freezing point in the Adelaide Hills early one morning...

Edited By David Davis on 28/12/2014 07:24:14

@John,
Perth and Adelaide seem to share the same climate/weather. Normally Adelaide gets the weather that Perth has had a few days later.

@bbc,
You guys have been copping a hammering with the weather lately. You definitely don't want to leave the toys in the car on a hot day over here either. I've had some hotglued parts 'fall off' some of my foamies before!

@ David,
No, no fans anymore! Did you ever fly from Victoria Park around the corner from Unley?
Yes, winter can get cool but nothing like one over there. It does hit single digits but very rarely does it go below zero in Adelaide.

Took the old Foam-E WOT 4 to the field, no wind and though it was a bit cold, I wrapped up warm. Flew it the veteran for seven or eight minutes when it just dived into the ground at a shallow angle despite me hauling "up" on the transmitter. I don't know what caused the accident .

It is almost a mark of honour in our club to repair Foam-E WOT 4s so there are several with wire undercarriages and plywood forward fuselages. Guess I'll have to do something with it. sad

Picture of it in happier times.

foamy with skis 2.jpg

Four of us hit the slopes today in glorious South Wales, light winds and a wind chill of a mild -1.

Models flying were a Flyingwings Spook, W.Thing, a BeEvolution and moldie ( sorry Mark, forgot the name )

We had to share the slope with the pillow cases, one of whom was determined to repeatly fly directly in front between us and our models.

But other than that, not a bwd couple of hours flying.

I was at a fly-in at Rolls Royce Hucknall, organized by a another forum. Quite a good day, very cold, but warm when the sun was out, all day and didn't feel cold at all. Had quite a few flights, 2 with a Mustang, and Xtra Wot, T-28 Petrol Trojan, flew the HK Lanc and the Eflite Mossie. Also maidened the Waco.

Beautiful day today down at our patch, bright sunshine and almost no wind, but still very cold with the ground remaining frozen in the shade. Maidened my GreenSleeve, got 50 minutes flying from 2 2200mAh packs. Watched some other interesting stuff being flown including an autogyro and a parasailer and a few othered powered gliders. Ground was beginning to re-freeze by the time I left. Looks like it will be similar tomorrow.

It does seem we were all were fortunate to enjoy good weather in the UK today, no longer having to suffer the gloating of our Froggy members.

Another case of, "SNAP" here in the NW of England, very cold, for the UK, at -1.5C, the ground as hard as a witches breast, grass as white as snow, The air, as still as at daybreak.

I will be honest, i was a reluctant flyer, the ground remaining completely unyielding, the sun set low on the horizon and yet so bright, the sky as blue as the Mediterranean sea on a sunny day.

I did take to the sky, with what has become an always fly, a Parkzone Albatross, how many flights now I wonder, probably now less than 50p per flight.

Then it was my canards turn, transformed after some input from Richard Harris, that was a large increase in fin area. Now tracks true, reacts positively to aileron input. The glide is incredibly flat and slow. I am now pondering is this the result of being a canard, perhaps the 6% wing thickness, with low camber? Why was my 100s canard such a bag of rubbish?

As for the other modellers, there seems an outbreak of Elite micro parkflyers some with auto stabilisation, yet not all. It did raise my eye brows, that they are invaribly flown just as i used to when i joined the club, being a small scale model flyer, never letting the model get very far from you, landing, almost at the feet. To think, how i was told off for this, so not BMFA, recommendations, targeted at larger IC models, not small electrics.

Most models were the every week models though.

First time out with others for a week or so, Christmas just gets in the way for us fliers, it seems.

Must go now, as we have the grandchildren for 3 days, pictures tomorrow, then take them home, in time for a party for one of them.

Christmas, bah humbug, is the least of my grumpiness.

Edited By Erfolg on 28/12/2014 20:18:03

Edited By Erfolg on 28/12/2014 20:19:57

Edited By Erfolg on 28/12/2014 20:22:28