1/3rd Classic Scale Tiger Moth -

Onto the struts..

Again the moth has lovely simple struts - they are all the same length, are all the same profile and have a nice straight shape with just a smidge of shaping at the ends..

great wing rigging deatil shot.jpg

The plan directs yo to make sandwiches from ply and balsa..

pictures 038.jpg

I want something a bit more dink resistant as there will be a fair bit of assembling and disassembling involved in transporting the model. I therefore chose some birch instead - tougher but still easy to work..

pictures 039.jpg

It didnt take too long to make some sandwiches..

pictures 040.jpg

These blanks will be given a final shape later and metal attachment plates glued in place.

Jez

Advert

The struts have metal fixings on the full size..

bottom wing interplane strut attachment front.jpg

So its out with more bits of brass sheet - these have to be softened to allow me to bend them smoothly without kinks..a simple heating till dark red followed by a quick quenching in cold water does the job..

pictures 003.jpg

Metal attachment plates are glued into the struts..

pictures 005.jpg

The struts were sanded using my home made "beast" - a belt sander clamped in the vice..(Here's another reason I havent bolted the vice down John!)..

pictures 002.jpg

And the brass trim is added...

pictures 004.jpg

Jez

Next up..windscreens. These are beautiful on the full size - either colour coded or chromed they set off the cockpit just great...

rear windscreen and bumper.jpg

The kit contains nicely cut brass sheet which just needs folding and soldering. I used ordainary lead fre soft solder but made sure I used flux and lots of heat to get the joints as clean as possible..

First off the parts..

pictures 036.jpg

whilst I had them in pieces I traced the outlines so i can cut the screens from some acetate sheet.

pictures 037.jpg

Here's the soldered and bent up results - I think i will investigate the cost of chrome plating to really set these off..

pictures 001.jpg

Jez

Hi,

Sadly, this is where the build will pause for a while.....

i was bottling some home brewed wine last sunday when the bottle I was holding in my left hand shattered as I pushed a cork in.

The resulting mince meat revealed I had severed an artery, cut the flexor tendons to 2 fingers and damaged muscles and tendons throughout my hand and the 2 fingers..

Luckily I live very close to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham so a quick ambulance trip soon had me in surgery where over the next 6 hours surgeons stiched me back together. Over 100 internal micro stitches and 38 external nylon ones have made a tidy repair.

They estimate I will get 60 - 80% usage back but aren't too hopeful that feeling will return to the finger tips.

I'm having weekly physio but the first few weeks have to be taken very slowly as the stitches holding nerves and tendons together are prone to pulling out as the meaty bits go a bit mushy and weaken initially. Hopefully in 8 weeks I can start to use it a little bit.

I'm lucky - I'm right-handed and the damage is to the left, also my lad was home for the weekend and helped enormously (thanks Chrisian!), also I am first aid trained so knew what needed to be done in the first few minutes after the accident. A good first aid kit helped too!

i will be back on the build asap but for now I will wave my poorly paw at you and just lurk around here bored stupid!

Jez..

pictures 006.jpg

wow thats great, i would love that i have been trying to get hold of a curtiss jenny from usa but just been quoted $1.450 just for postag, the kit is $450 guess there is no large scale kits artf in uk anymore, exept the hanger 9 beast, giant jenny discontinued, looking forward to your build,smiley

No more "Rudder, rudder, rudder" for a bit then ya clumsy daft so.sad (Was it the fumes from a potent brew? Hope to God it wasn't Redshaws recipe, lethal that stuff)

Sorry to hear this mate, hope it heals well for final outcome.Jeeze go on holiday and leave you on your own for a while, come back tonight for S i L funeral tomorrow then go back to Wales after. Will try and see you next week and extract the urine (Nail vice down while I'm therecheeky)

Get well soonest and do what they tell you.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to read about the habn and hope you soon recover. Sorry for late posting but the feelings are the same. Might I suggest gloves next time, The ribbed rubber mitts used by window fitters/ glaziers would do nicely. Protect most of hands but leave fingers ends able to use. And bol tthat tvice down. to a work master folding bench or similar would do. Be warned young man. I am serious. John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - Back again!

Well after just 8 weeks of physio and hourly exercises I finally have enough movement to crack on with the build.

My hand has healed really well - I have a little movement in my middle and ring finger, not much feeling and very little strength but it gets a bit better every day. The 2 fingers are crabbed over but are gradually relaxing.

Anne has been great driving me to various shows - thanks honey!!

I finally flew last week at the Victory Show near Leicester - I can hold a Tx firmly now and as a mode one thumb stick stirrer had no problems. It was ace!

One of the great things about the Victory Show was the landing of a Tiger Moth almost right next to where we were pitted. It was gorgeous!!

001127441.jpg

moth restored.jpg

So thats the colour scheme chosen - I think its beautiful!

I spoke at length with the pilots - it was restored 2 years ago.

Apparently the colour is good old Ford Sunburst Red - the same colour the XR3i used to come in, so that will be easy to get hold of!

I hadn't taken a camera with me - but managed to take over 160 pictures with my camera phone of all the interestng little details. there are also a few nice shots on the internet - the reg no is G-BYLB. There is loads of stuff on the net about it.

Jez

Edited By Jez Harris 1 on 09/09/2015 12:11:53

So - back in the man cave...

Rather than the plans ridiculous positioning of a servo on its side with an arm protuding out, I've gone for a pair of low profile Savox servos.. These just sit low enough to fit in the fairly thin wing section.

model pictures 005.jpg

I want to get as close to the full size ailron control disc set up - this has an access panel next to the disc...

aileron gearbox access panel and control disc.jpg

I cant 100% replicate this as I need to have access to the servo for routine checks and servicing so have fitted a larger panel across the width of 1 rib bay...Fitting an extra large futaba disc gives a suitable appearance.

I will fit a fake access hatch using a sheet of litho and some small screws later on.

model pictures 006.jpg

Jez

Next up - wing covering..

Pretty straight forward using Solartex..

model pictures 004.jpg

The cardboard detailling shows through nicely..

model pictures 003.jpg

Next onerous chore is rib stitching. The Moth has different rib spacing on different ribs - ribs 2 - 4 on the top wing are at 2" spacing, whilst the rest are at 3" spacing. The bottom wing has the 2" spacing on ribs 2 - 5..

I'm not doing real stitching as I did with the Pup - its just too akward for me at the moment, so smoke and mirror glue blobs it is!

First off - mark the positions..

model pictures 001.jpg

Then aliphatic glue was applied using a thin nozzle..

model pictures 007.jpg

This may take a while as 4 wings to do top and bottom...

Catch up later!!

Jez