A test - I.c. or electric?

I am currently gaining my wings on an I.c. trainer, to hopefully eventually pass A test. I have been told I need to take my test with an I.c. plane to cover electric flight also?. I.e. if I pass A test with an electric plane, I wouldn't be able to fly solo with an I.c. plane? Is this true? I can't find any refernc to this in the BMFA manual or anywhere else. Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance.

Advert

The Powered Flight A cert can be flown with any powered model (but not powered gliders) it makes no difference

At the end of the day the test is about safety, awareness and basic aircraft handling - so IC or Elec they are the same, its not testing you on tuning IC engines

However your club may choose to apply rules over and above the letter of the BMFA cert

As Speedbird says , is this a club rule ? or just a misundertanding on someone part as its not a BMFA requirement

Having passed the 'A' test in October with an Electric powered model I would'nt be too happy to have to take it again for IC!

From the BMFA achievement scheme Pdf on BMFA website

http://www.bmfa.org/Info/RCAchievementScheme/StandardsGuidelines/tabid/244/Default.aspx?EntryId=135

"The test can be performed with virtually any powered fixed wing model, i/c or electric"

The test can be performed with virtually any powered fixed wing model, i/c or electric. It is not expected that the test will be taken with an electric powered glider, however, as the Silent Flight Electric ‘A’ Certificate would be more appropriate to that type of model.

That is straight from the guide book.....you have been told incorrectly.

If that was the case then if you did your A test with an aileron controlled plane then you couldn't fly a 3 channel !

Full download here

Edited By cymaz on 13/12/2014 23:30:12

Posted by leccyflyer on 13/12/2014 23:43:41:

Any powered aeroplane may be used, provided it weighs more than 1kg and can take off.

what about landing...cheeky

thats all i was going to add it will have to have undercarriage for take off and landings and above the weight

Oliver, the A test - as others have said - can be taken with either i/c or electric models.

The A test is part of the BMFA's RC Achievement Scheme, and is not a 'licence' or qualification to fly solo.

HOWEVER, many (most?) clubs will have some requirements before their members are permitted to fly solo. Many clubs choose to use the BMFA A test as the basic requirement to fly solo, and it is the club's decision as to any other requirements they may make.

So if the club say you need to take an A test using an i/c model then that is what you must do. Though how they deal with somebody who takes an A test elsewhere and can't prove what model they used to take it, I don't know!

My club also applies the ic / elect division of if you take your field test with ic you can operate elect, but not the other way round. I suppose this is more to do with pit safety. The club does recognise the different safety issues with elec. As for the A test as others have previously said it makes no difference. I must stress this is a field test to allow members to fly solo and not an A test.

Thanks everyone

this makes sense now. Its a club requirement for safety basics flying ic, rather than a bmfa requirement. BMFA are just providing the foundations or guidelines for the club. I suppose a balsa wood, engine carrying plane can hit a little harder than an electric foamie and hence portrays a more dangerous situation. Hence requires the confidence in the club for you to fly solo. Though saying that you need at least 2 persons at the club for safety anyway.

Posted by John Privett on 14/12/2014 00:20:36:

So if the club say you need to take an A test using an i/c model then that is what you must do. Though how they deal with somebody who takes an A test elsewhere and can't prove what model they used to take it, I don't know!

Have done A&B achievements. The name and style of plane was noted down on the B cert paperwork, not sure about A as it was long ago. The info may be accessible through the BMFA if things get that Heavy.

Most clubs that I have been to do require you to demonstrate that you are as good as you say.

Could a person capable of changing spark plugs in their car engine change the injectors on a diesel. it is still a car four wheels and an engine.

The BMFA achievements are just that achievements not Law, a bit of fun when you are ready to take the challenge.

I think it only proper that you can safely demonstrate you know what you are doing if it can potentially harm others or yourself.

Edited By bert baker on 14/12/2014 10:39:57

Posted by Oliver Terschowetz on 14/12/2014 09:42:33:

Thanks everyone

. I suppose a balsa wood, engine carrying plane can hit a little harder than an electric foamie and hence portrays a more dangerous situation.

I personally think in that scenarion I would rather be hit by the IC engine plane of twice the weight than an electric foamie.... the IC engine will stop - the electric will just try and carry on going like a bacon slicer till the battery goes off line or the motor burns out.....

Plus IC motors dont accidently start when you connect the battery, unless you are carefull electric motors can

Counter balanced by the most dangerous routine moment with IC starting them, the only time you should ever be in front of a running prop

So from a personal perspective (as an electric flyer) I believe there is more scope for danger with elect than IC, especially with an attitude like "its only an electric foamie"

Whatever the power source the prop should be treated with the greatest respect..........

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 14/12/2014 10:45:20

We have this at our club. If you do your A on Electric you can fly I.C but we ask you to go though the starting procedures as this is different from electric. The flying is the same no matter what power plant is in your plane.

This is a club rule only and is done for safety reasons only.

Posted by Cuban8 on 14/12/2014 10:43:36:

Sounds like clubs being rather OTT in the safety department IMHO. Wherever next? If you start your IC 'plane with an electric starter on your A test, then in order to hand start, you'll have to retake it and demonstrate that?

Get a grip.......please!

^ ^ ^

This

Posted by Rob Dunn on 14/12/2014 11:15:16:

We have this at our club. If you do your A on Electric you can fly I.C but we ask you to go though the starting procedures as this is different from electric. The flying is the same no matter what power plant is in your plane.

This is a club rule only and is done for safety reasons only.

And if you do your A on an IC do they require you to demonstrate powering up an electric plane safely? I suspect not and its a pity.....

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 14/12/2014 10:44:55:

Plus IC motors dont accidently start when you connect the battery, unless you are carefull electric motors can

Not if you fit an arming plug, and don't arm the plane until it is on the field. Then an electric plane will be far safer in the pits area than any ic plane.

I took my test with an ic plane, and I was asked general questions about safety with an electric plane.

Posted by Andy48 on 14/12/2014 11:49:03:
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 14/12/2014 10:44:55:

Not if you fit an arming plug, and don't arm the plane until it is on the field. Then an electric plane will be far safer in the pits area than any ic plane.

I took my test with an ic plane, and I was asked general questions about safety with an electric plane.

Exactly... but how many ARTF come with an arming plug? especially the ones where the LiPo has to be fitted under the nose.....

I was trying to point out that being able to safely handle an IC plane does not mean you know how to handle an electric one - different safetly issues

Edited By Dave Hopkin on 14/12/2014 12:08:51

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 14/12/2014 12:06:50:

I was trying to point out that being able to safely handle an IC plane does not mean you know how to handle an electric one - different safetly issues

Passing the A test should show that you have basic safety awareness, basic model handling skills - both in the pits and flying and basic knowledge of air law requirements plus local rules - i.e. a good basis for operating a model without direct supervision.

In preparing for said test, a candidate is likely to have witnessed operation of many types of model and had the opportunity to take part in conversations about a range of modelling matters - sufficient at least to have gained awareness that any powered model can bite if mishandled.

The Power A test makes no distinction between power sources and it is really the responsibility of a good club to ensure that all new members are aware of any safe practices and help their members convert to any new procedures they may not be familiar with. There's certainly no need that I can see for this to take the form of another formal test!

Edited By Martin Harris on 14/12/2014 13:43:52

And if you do your A on an IC do they require you to demonstrate powering up an electric plane safely? I suspect not and its a pity.....

Yes we do as part of our safety we look at this.

Why is this such a big thing we do this so members are a where of the safety procedures required.

each set up does have different procedures in the pits makes sense to cover both.

Edited By Rob Dunn on 14/12/2014 15:19:32