Tell me something about it.

Erfolg

I am a member of a club, once we had a membership that appeared to be about a 100, now we number approx.40.

The profile of the club has also been high, to the extent that there was and maybe still is a competition type flown to what was known as our clubs rules.

All this is in the past. Now even members of other local clubs, do not know who we are, although vaguely knowing where we fly.

We do not have any web presence. Yet we all recognise that in principle a web site would be ideal, to let people, flyers and potential fliers know a few things about us, typically

• That we are a club
  • Contact details
  • Our club ethos and limits
  • Where we fly and when.

We do not feel that we are in a position to create a web page or pay for a domain etc.

Yet we recognise that to maintain and potentially reinvigorate us, we need to do something.

Would we be eligible for this section and how is it typically used?

Advert

Thanks David.

There are free offerings out there, but they make their money from advertising, so if you don't mind seeing ads then it may be the way to go, but bear in mind you have no say in what ads appear on your site, and you won't have your own club domain name.

[John] you are correct for the domain name, but there is still hosting to pay. I don't want to give the impression that its £10 a year.

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 22/01/2015 07:16:19

Until I retired a few years ago, I had a small business which relied entirely on a web site to generate new orders, so I have some experience of maintaining a web site on a shoe string budget.

If I were the decision maker in your club, I would set up a Face Book page first because that's the zero cost option and in many ways it would be more fluid option with club members able to post comments, arrange meetings and post photos etc A web site on the other hand can be very static unless you constantly update it.

Keep in mind that a web site is not the be all and end all. Perspective members have to find it easily otherwise it's not worth having. Think about it for a moment, does anyone go beyond page one or perhaps page two of a Google search for any product or service. You'll find lots of info about web site optimisation on the internet. A good web designer will be able to build a search engine friendly web site, but as with most things in life there will be a cost for that service.

Hope this has given some food for thought.

Erfolg, I sympathise. I'd like to do something similar for our club (we already have a web-site), but our committee seems resolutely opposed to any involvement with facebook. If I read your OP correctly you are enquiring about the club section of this forum. I too would like to know more about this option.

Other option, which we've done, is possibly of interest to. We have a club website - and it works quite well in terms of attracting new members - enabling them to download the membership application form, contact the secretary, see some pictures etc. But comment above are true - despite our very good webmaster it is of the nature of websites that it is a bit static.

In parallel we had a few complaints from beginners about them turning up at the field and no instructors being down etc. So we set up a club forum on ProBoards. Completely free. I was very sceptical about this as I have seen very many clubs set up forums - at first there is enthusiasm, then it dies. But this one has survived in use for over 12 months now - because it has one important thread! The "Are you going flying" thread. Basically folks post if they are planning on going down to the field - so thers can see who is likely to be there. This seems to be very popular with members.Now you could use this forum for that - but its a bit of a sledge hammer to break eggs! And it get you around the committee's anti Facebook view. Just an option.

BEB

I really do thank you all, for your replies, they have increased my awareness from zero to a position that I am beginning to formulate a number of aspects:

• What approaches can be taken.
  • The costs issues
  • What the club perhaps wants to inform potential modellers of our presence and ethos.
  • What club members can or could get from a site.
  • Perhaps one negative, the caution required to ensure the site is not a place of offensive communication.

Since taking on the role of the secretary, i have been shocked and amazed how few of our members seem to have access to the Internet. I had assumed that we would be at somewhere close to 100%. To some extent the low starting position, does have an impact on what the club would be prepared to expend on any IT.

As an aside i am setting up a mail listing of local events that the BMFA supports in the region, to our members. It is not a lot, although better than nothing.

I do see that the whole process is long term, and is as much in life, never quite finished.

I have one final thought, once we were a very progressive club, 10 years ago, I would have guaranteed at least one member who had involvement with the Internet and computing ( I was at that time one of a few), now there is not one. I suspect that is due to our age profile and revised attitudes as to what excites and interests us.

That's an interesting comment Erf - about percentage internet use by club members. In our club is very different - out of just over 60 members all but two use the internet. It might be interesting to see which scenario - your's or ours is more typical - a poll topic possibly? "What would you estimate is the percentage internet use among your club's members?"

BEB

To add to BEB's and Erf's figures, I don't think the age profile of my club is in any way untypical. We ended last year with about 240 members, of whom slightly under 200 have supplied email addresses that don't 'bounce' when I send out mailshots.

So, if possession of a valid email address is approximately equal to 'using the internet', then our figure is about 80%.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Why do you need to pay someone to build a website,"

I have to agree, and I run a professional web design & hosting company. Trouble is its never really yours, the domain name usually contains the name of the owner company, the sites tend to have adverts that you usually have no control over, and certainly don't get any income from.

And if you want something specific you either cant have it or that's were they make the money. (and its still not yours.)

There is a place for free webs, and the personal / hobby arena is probably it.

Andy

I will investigate the options in the club having a very simple web site, that is not interactive. Although I have no idea at present as to how to go about it.

WE as a club are staring to communicate by E-mail, i have approx. 30% of the club members E-mail addresses. Now regularly communicate with may be 5%. Still, it is a start.

I personally do not like the Facebook option, now signed up, bombarded with all sorts of trivia, with respect to modelling and our community.

Carl,

I have built club websites in the past - focussed on my old Hobby/Sport of Kayaking, and the site is now old and obsolete as no-one took over from me when I went to University.

I am happy to offer some time to support this, but it will be limited due to my various commitments - which you are aware of.

Should I get the job I interviewed for last week there may be a bit more time away, and i would have time in the evenings to do some work on this - drop me an email.

Olly