Multi Connector

I am about to start building a large model and will need to make the wings detachable. In the past I have just used numerous 3 pin servo connectors which is a bit fiddly.

Does anyone know of a multi connector that I could fix into the fuse and the wing so I could just push them together when I install the wing. I have tried the green multiplex one but not very good. A ZIF (zero insertion force) would be good with at least 6 pins or more.

Right! See what you mean. So that you just bolt the wing on and all the electrics automatically plug in!?

You may have to Google around, Maplin, Conrad electronics, and so on. There aremore electronics guys on here that will look in at some point.

Posted by Alan Jarvis on 25/01/2015 14:45:18:

Those are ok but not what I am looking for. I want to permanently fix one socket/plug into the Fuse and the other into the wing so that I don't have to connect them they are a push fit when I fit the wing. They need to be easy to push fit and give a good connection.

You would need to fit the wing at 90 degrees to the fus to ensure that the pins were not distorted and the accuracy required for a perfect fit (both in alignment and depth of penetration) would make construction tedious

Sorry can't mention penetration on here. I have to concur Dave. There's nothing to stop the connector being mounted (bolted or screwed) on the wing and a trailing lead from the fuselage plugged into it and locked in some way.

It would make the construction rather awkward, and if there is the slightest chance of misalignment I would err on the side of caution. It will guarantee a good connection - and won't take any extra time in assembling the model at the field.

Have a look at my Nihuis P51 build to get the idea of what I now use. The black connector is identical to servo plugs so the existing crimped leads are used. These come up to 12 way and all the bits are from CPC Ltd. The Rx is connected with plug to plug leads.

Have converted all of my models which use dual ailerons/flaps/retracts etc. They have a built in friction lock to boot.

Could post more pics. and details on request.

Hi Alan, I have done what I think you are trying to do on a 1/5th scale Chipmunk. I used 9 pin 'D' connectors. Cheap as chips from Maplins or other Ebay suppliers.

dsc_8262.jpg

dsc_8264.jpg

dsc_8268.jpg

The model has only flown a half dozen times since the connectors were fitted, so I cannot tell you the lifespan of this, but I do check their security before assembly each filght. This method does make rigging the model very quick, and easy, as aileron, flap and landing light are all handled through the connector (port connector has landing light also, starboard shown in pics).

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 26/01/2015 13:03:28

Posted by Alan Jarvis on 26/01/2015 13:38:10:

It may be possible to have a common negative which then all would fit on 9 pins

Alan

You can use a common +ve and a common -ve. I do that frequently when using multi pin connectors - e.g 4 servos from the Multiplex 6 pin plug/socket.

I now prefer to use an 8 pin connector for 4 servos so I can have 2 pins for +ve and 2 pins for -ve for security and current carrying capacity.

Dick

I've been using the above for years without issue, 9 pin with shared -ve or 15 pin as stand alone. I've had set-ups with one side mounted rigidly and the other on a fly lead and also where I've set them up to connect as you pust the parts together but it needs perfect alignment. No issues but only used on gliders, I'd be hesitant to use them on i.c. without using something to stop them coming apart with vibration. An elastic band or small zip ties through the holes would be enough.