Am I being cynical ?

cymaz

Advert

Why would anyone think otherwise. In my almost 60 years of political awareness I have only seen a few pricipled politicians. It only works because their interests and that of society are coincident/complementary and /or there is no clash of interests. Me cynical, surely not.

I wonder if any of our MP's /leaders are model flyers?

The only famous people I know of was Ayrton Senna from F1 and film stars James Steward and Henry Fonda. If both were working on the same film or on set's near one another directors would soon find them missing,gone out to the desert to fly their planes.

GrahamC is right, but is it any surprise we're so easily taken in?

Having said that, I was encouraged by the recent series about the House of Commons. There were quite a few hard-working and principled MPs on show there (and a few idiots). I wanted to punch the TV every time Rees Mogg came on!

Our MP (Cheryll Murray) is a Tory but as one of the half-dozen Lib Dems in the country I'm still tempted to vote for her at the next election. Why? Because she does do a lot of good work in and around her constituency and at Westminster for our local issues. I've met her at a very small, very local function and spoken to several others who have too. She's been pleasant, helpful and polite - and no airs and graces or publicity seeking either.

I'm sure that she's not alone.

So why would someone want to become a politician ?, is it because -

They want to help as many people as possible ?

They want power over others ?, and get well paid for it.

They want to force their political views on all those who disagree with them ?, and get well paid for it.

They want to get on what appears to be a potential gravy train ?, and get well paid for it.

They want a job with great benefits, and potential early pension ?, and get well paid for it.

They want just to be loved.

It should be illegal to stand for MP until you have put in at least 20 years as an employee......that would rule out most of the current lot. How can these people make decisions that affect us without experiencing real life? We should not be ruled by people who have done nothing but been to university.

I can only think of one MP that could be a credible Prime Minister who has done a real job as an ordinary employee.......

I did watch all the programs about the Palace of Westminster. I wondered how an institution so arcane, old, creaky, splitting at the seams and up to its eyes in backward looking tradition could produce the law of the land.

The methods and structure of actually getting work done just beggars belief. And in a building that is falling apart around their ears.

The doctrine of the place is soooo ingrained in the 1800's. Everyone is so affraid to change it because they can all hide behind tradition and out dated methods and practices. It's broke...it needs fixing.

My requirements for an MP:

1. Have survived in a failing state school and got at least 5 good GCSEs.

2. Been in the army and done at least 2 full tours in Iraq or Afghanistan.

3. Had to care full time for elderly relatives for at least 3 years.

4. Had at least 2 other full time jobs each lasting over 3 years.