Hobbyking have a sense of humour

Dave Hopkin

Includes "a Tourniquet (use this to stop the blood flow when amputating a limb)"

Handy I suppose if we want to start cutting each others arms or legs off. Can't say it happens much at our club! Wonder if they include a suitable saw.

A few plasters seems a sensible idea though.

The most useful item is a tubegauze bandage and applicator. The best and easiest way to bandage a chopped finger.

I keep one in my car kit and it has been used on several occasions over the years on several club members.

Just an interesting side comment. When needed I am the one who applies it, even when it is my finger that needs it. Funny, that!

Posted by Peter Miller on 11/03/2015 12:16:00:

The most useful item is a tubegauze bandage and applicator. The best and easiest way to bandage a chopped finger.

And here was me thinking that what the CA included in the pack was for!

Seriously I keep a full first aid kit in my car together with a (unopened) bottle of water (replaced regullarly) as there is clean water source at the sites I fly from - something for people to consider how would you flush a wound out or irigate someones eye etc etc etc

Never had to use them and I hope it stays that way

Posted by Engine Doctor on 12/03/2015 17:16:50:

And they have priced it just in the value that our friends at customs look at ! By the time postage is added you will probably get a bill from C&E for vat and a handling charge from royal mail totaling £11 plus !

Or you could mark it down to a cheaper value on checkout and not get charged anything extra, If HSBC can get away with Tax "Avoidance" why shouldn`t we.

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 11/03/2015 12:52:51:

I did wonder why they thought a spare MHz aerial might be useful until I read the descriptionembarrassed

Pete

I've got one those stored on the anglepoise lamp over my bench by its magnet. I bought it from one of the tool stalls at a show years ago. Don't need it often but it's worth it's weight in gold (almost) when it is.

Geoff

Posted by Codename-John on 12/03/2015 20:28:45:

And they have priced it just in the value that our friends at customs look at ! By the time postage is added you will probably get a bill from C&E for vat and a handling charge from royal mail totaling £11 plus !

Or you could mark it down to a cheaper value on checkout and not get charged anything extra, If HSBC can get away with Tax "Avoidance" why shouldn`t we.

You used to be able to do that but not any longer

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 12/03/2015 21:34:06:
Posted by Codename-John on 12/03/2015 20:28:45:

You used to be able to do that but not any longer

Really ? I haven't ordered anything from there for a while, when did it stop

Posted by GrahamWh on 11/03/2015 11:55:20:

Includes "a Tourniquet (use this to stop the blood flow when amputating a limb)"

Handy I suppose if we want to start cutting each others arms or legs off. Can't say it happens much at our club! Wonder if they include a suitable saw.

Have you ever seen an artery cut? I have, but only a small artery in a hand. Even so, it was a medical emergency. We have two types of blood vessels, arteries and veins. The veins return spent blood to the heart at low pressure, arteries send oxygenated blood to the body at high pressure. Arteries are under such high pressure that a cut will not just bleed, but spurt blood out in pulses with the heart beat. Modern thinking is to put high pressure on the leak site, however if the wound won't allow this a tourniquet higher up will stop the bleeding, if you can't stop the bleeding death will result in minutes.

The average modeler does not need a first aid kit, but I would guess that if an emergency happens, you will wish you had one! The best piece of equipment is a phone with a signal, to get a first responder out.

It happened last year John - the box that let you select a lower price on the invoice was dropped. I know that, not long before that, that German customs were demanding to see paypal statements before releasing the goods so it's possible that a rap on the knuckles occured

However, at £12.83, it is below the VAT threshold of £15. The VAT on postage (and handling fee) only kicks in if the value of the goods themselves is over £15

Posted by ted hughes on 13/03/2015 01:34:28:
Posted by GrahamWh on 11/03/2015 11:55:20:

Have you ever seen an artery cut? I have, but only a small artery in a hand. Even so, it was a medical emergency. We have two types of blood vessels, arteries and veins. The veins return spent blood to the heart at low pressure, arteries send oxygenated blood to the body at high pressure. Arteries are under such high pressure that a cut will not just bleed, but spurt blood out in pulses with the heart beat. Modern thinking is to put high pressure on the leak site, however if the wound won't allow this a tourniquet higher up will stop the bleeding, if you can't stop the bleeding death will result in minutes.

The average modeler does not need a first aid kit, but I would guess that if an emergency happens, you will wish you had one! The best piece of equipment is a phone with a signal, to get a first responder out.

The chances of any tramatic wound needing a torniquet in normal flight activiies is pretty remote - even a amputated finger wont need one but.......

Tourniquet application is frowned upon in medical circles due to the risk of starving the area below of oxygenated blood if the torniquet is applied for any length of time, and the recomended procedure is to apply heavy pressure to the artery through the fllesh above and on the wound site normally through a dressing pad (your hands loose grip if they are covered in blood

However if a torniquet is te only option to stop the bleed whilst waiting fhe casualty to recieve medical help then it can be used, but it should be applied for 10 to 15 mins then released for a few seconds before being retightened - the time of the iniial application of the tourniquet should be written on the casualties forehead (dont worry about finding apen - in those circumstances you have a finger and there will be plenty of red "ink" around!)

But the critical thing is to get proper medical assistance ASAP - in severe trauma injuries there is a "golden hour" (and a platinum 10 minutes) where proper treatment can make a world of difference

But I totally disagree about not needing a first aid kit - in my opinion there should be one available at every flying field whenever people are flying - as we cant always reply on "Johny the first aid kit bloke" being at the field the more people that carry them the better!

Just as a point of interest. I did cut an artery on the field but it was a very tiny one in my left forefinger knuckle. Did not realise it was an artery but when it was still bleeding several hours later I went to A&E where they put two stitches in.

When it first happened I went back to the car in the farmyard and did my own first air. The farmer's dog got very excited and kept indicating "OOH! Fresh meat for tea" I have also had the same reaction from our own dogs when I came in from the workshop pouring blood from a gash. "OOH! Fresh meat. Can I have some please?!"

I also remember that about 50 years ago my mother was doing some gardening and took the side off her finger with a sickle and that artery was pumping well. The doctor arrived in a rush and bound it up which seemed to do the job.