Clarkson dropped

Josip Vrandecic -Mes

Posted by Andrew Price 2 on 26/03/2015 11:01:39:

You are certainly not alone Mowerman. Does anyone else subscribe to my view that it is all a preplanned stunt so the arogant soandso can sign up elsewhere for an obsene amount of money - like some footballers have in the past!!

I agree in principle Andrew; however "the show" was the medium that brought viewers around the world to this BBC production and that includes the stars in it; I find it staggering (obscene) the BBC head of the dept for the Top Gear show is on £217k a year.. How much and WHAT FOR?

How can this be explained away as an appropriate wage and for what "talent" exactly? The BBC totally mismanaged this whole affair; indeed Clarkson left them no option once it was public... but really, with such a successful show across the globe and revenue generator.. it should have been micro/risk managed more effectively.

One area I can think of is.. Successful sports clubs "manage" their stars to prevent media scandals.. it works most of the time.. but then not always....

The Top Gear guys will move on, maybe it was planned, however the BBC needs to get a grip of what viewers want.. and this interested generated by these events certainly shows how viewers like their BBC viewing time.. not all enjoyed it, but I dont see as much support for Prime minsters questions or one million signatures for DIY disasters or at home with the Leader of the political parties in their three kitchens..

I certainly know who has more effect on everyday life..

£217k pa for the head of department, you and I pay this wage within a state funded body.. and it is 50% more than the Prime minster earns; and that roll does carry some responsibility..

Posted by Peter Miller on 26/03/2015 11:02:43:

I think that the reral difference between John Prescott and JC is that John Prescott reacted instantly the the egg, No words, just instant reaction.

Jeremy Clarkson was in a long argument and then hit the producer.

John Prescott never owned up about the "two Jags" tag he had did he?

I worked with his brother Ray, the Jags were experted to Germany where Ray was working and put in his name.. then driven home to Hull for JP to use...

All in it together..... and that was the early 90's when Dave and Boris were still in the Bullingdon club..

Posted by Bill_B on 26/03/2015 11:18:46:

Don't know why the Yorkshire police need to stick their oars in though, no charges have been pressed by the injured party. The huge amount of serious (and unsolved) crime should be foremost in their minds, not JC. Surely that's what we (the tax payers) pay them for.

As for PV's comment re. Pollution; 40 cigarettes a day hardly compares to the pollution put out by any average car on any given day's motoring, petrol or diesel powered.

Agree entirely Bill.. surely the boys in blue in Yorkshire have better things too do..

Maybe its evidence gathering activity for a claim of some sort by the BBC director.. put something on the record official the BBC employee's future does not acheive low earth orbit in future years...

Only time will tell... wink

Posted by Peter Miller on 26/03/2015 11:02:43:

I think that the reral difference between John Prescott and JC is that John Prescott reacted instantly the the egg, No words, just instant reaction.

Jeremy Clarkson was in a long argument and then hit the producer.

The real difference was that Prescott was defending himself against an assault against him - Clarkson wasnt defending himself he was the agressor

As I Have said elsewhere the man ??... is a boor and a bore. TG never to my mind got to the real nitty gritty of car ownership. Like how easy or difficult it is to change spark plugs re -brush the alternator etc, Performance etc does not matter to the average motorist more likely running and maintienance costs would interest.. I admit that handling is important but not to the extent of hurtling round disused airfields or racetracks.Most of us i think still would prefer to get safely from A to B as quickly ,safely and cheaply as possible. A revised TG might attract me back but currently feel it is just not worth wasting my time on. childishness that seems to be intended to amuse the 3 clowns. I would like to see James do a series on his favourite WW11 aircraft maybe into post war. Mind you that is just MHO

The problem with a "proper" motoring program is that no one will watch it, we certainly not 5 million in the uk and another 300 million world wide, watching someone clean spark plugs, which no one does anymore, and those that do know how, we all know how good the average car is, they have been pretty much on level par now for 20 years, the only thing that distinguishes the great majority is the toys they come with,

for those that want to know "how too" try Mike Brewers programs, for those with an interest in classic try "the classic car show!! with Jodie Foster and Quentin Wilson,, ZZzzzz.

for those that want to be "entertained by 3 silly men with a vague connection to motor vehicles", then unfortunately we are at present stuck with repeats on BBC3 and Dave, and all the DVD,s that the TG series has also generated over the years,

JC is a very accomplished journalist, watch his documentary,s on Brunnel, and the VC for a start, to judge him on what he did in TG which was intended to be "controversial" is a bit unfair, yes he did cross a line, and don't forget the person responsible for reporting that he had done so was himself, I just fail to understand the furore that this has generated, in the mean time a certain Dr Fox, remember him, has snuck under the headlines whilst being charged with numerous accounts of sex offences against minors, there are many more things in this world far more worthy of our concern than a silly man with a short temper,

spare a thought for 149 innocents who if the media is correct were murdered a few days ago!!! including a babe in arms, that's 8 mins of life we all would not want to experience!!

cj

Edited By ceejay on 26/03/2015 15:26:37

TG ceased to be a car programme years ago, it was an entertainment programme that I found enjoyable. It will be replaced by another dull, politically correct show fronted by Clare Balding/ Alan Titchmarsh or currently in vogue BBC favourite. Some people will enjoy that new format and some won't.

Jeremy Clarkson:

"I have the deepest sympathy for anyone whose life is so mangled and messed up that they believe death's icy embrace will be better.

"However, every year around 200 people decide that the best way to go is by hurling themselves in front of a speeding train. In some ways they are right. This method has a 90% success rate and it's extremely quick.

"However, it is a very selfish way to go because the disruption it causes is immense. And think what it's like for the poor train driver who sees you lying on the line and can do absolutely nothing to avoid a collision."

How ironic!!!

Just got their bill in for £145 license tax.angry I begrudge the payment more than anything else considering all that's happening at the BBC and wish they were funded fully from general taxation. Either that or sell it off and let them see how they get on in the real world. If it means adverts like all the rest, then so be it.

I suppose that under the terms of the BBC's charter, funding is kept independent of the government to prevent meddling in BBC affairs or being seen as a mouthpiece of the government of the day.

Needs a root and branch reform - tear up the charter and start again IMHO. Mention of getting round the license (tax) is interesting and reinforces my stance on how the Beeb needs its funding reformed in whatever radical method it takes.

Edited By Cuban8 on 29/03/2015 17:16:36