Flying Alone

Erfolg

In the last mag, one of the contributors, explained why he would not in future fly alone, due to a very unfortunate injury.

I did have reservations on the reasons why. Which have been re-enforced by some recent events, not flying related.

I am in the habit of not using a mobile phone, although i do have a pay as you go and a smart phone which is on contract. The reason being that when working, colleagues would contact me about trivia, about which they wanted a decision, which they could easily make a decision, which they were invited to make. Yet more important issues, I would here nothing.

I was persuaded that for once I should take a mobile with me. On this occasion I was contacted with an important message.

Again related to the same issue I received a further set of calls over a few days.In all cases alone or not located where I would normally be.

I also I had need to make calls whilst away from home, again the mobile was used.

All of which, did emphasis it is not being alone that is the problem, it is not being able to contact others or be contacted, where ever you may be.

Which further re-enforces my opinion flying alone is not an issue. As being alone in this set of events was not the issue. It is ensuring that you can be contacted and be able to contact others that is important.

I will now always carry a mobile, where ever I go. Being alone or in company of others is not as significant as being able to contact specific individuals, such as emergency services, promptly.

Advert

I fly alone on occasions. I have done a personal risk assessment and from past experience I reckon I can still function and look after myself after being bitten by a 50 size motor. Bigger than that and I think I need a buddy on the spot, as from other lives have experience of the debilitating effect of shock, and the inability do do anything for yourself, even remember how to work your phone. Therefore max at 50 on my own, and very careful, for example, needle needs a twiddle, stop the moter first. My decision, my risk.

I fly alone probably 90% of the time. I only fly leccy and evaluate the risk as less than working underneath the car or using power tools. My decision. If I waited for another club member then I doubt I would get fewer than five flights a month. I also used to fly ic helis alone a lot of the time. No probs. In 45 years in this hobby I have seen an injury only once when a model was being hand launched probably unwisely ! Colin

I do most of my flying midweek, so am quite often alone at the club field. Having company is preferable to flying alone, but flying alone is preferable to not flying at all.

If I didn't fly alone, I would get very little stick time in. Needs must. I agree 100% with the above sentiments: it's a personal choice that is a result of careful consideration, with sensible precautions taken. I have a first aid kit in my car, with 'instant' finger bandages that just roll on straight out the packet, and a mobile phone.

A stronger statement this: but arguably I reckon I've less chance of having an accident in the first place if I'm alone with no distractions...

Being so anti-mobile phone, it had never crossed my mind the issue of should they be on the flight line.

I have understood that the BMFA do not approve of the things on the flight line. I think it is on the grounds of interference with models.

I have raised an eye brow at the frequency of the number of fellow club members at both clubs where I am a member, as they have received calls at the field. Wondering about if the advice had any foundation.

With my change of heart, I really do wonder if there is a basis, with respect to safety?

My scepticism is greater now after a conversation with a supplier of hospital equipment supplier and a family member who works in a hospital. The gist of the conservation was, do you really think we would or could sell equipment for hospital use, particularly where there was a risk component to patients, with a known risk potential from mobile phones? The other aspect was there are a number of real reasons, one is noise, the other is staff receiving calls, and then there is the income from some infrastructure services linked to phones and television.

I do wonder if the BMFA should reconsider their position with respect to mobile phones and see them as a positive aid to safety?

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/04/2015 19:15:41:

Peter how long is it since it was switched on?

I've heard that some mobile phone companies cut off numbers if they are not used for a certain period. I've even heard of folk on contract being cut off, while the monthly charge has continued.

It is all right. I use it to ask my next door neighbor about some item on her shooping list and at times to talk to my internet provider when my connection goes up the creek so it gets enough use and it gets paid for at least once a year.

Its a fine balance between flying alone and having the possibility of calling the emergency services should that be necessary.

I have mixed views on lone flying and there are several issues.

Firstly, if you fly alone, you don't get the camaraderie from your club mates, equally it can be enjoyable flying on your own.

Secondly, if you do fly alone and have an accident, be it a bee sting, bite from a prop, heart attack or a fly in your eye, you don't have anyone to help you.

As for clubs and lone flying, its a difficult one. At my old club we had about 15 members and flew 3 times a week, so lone flying wasn't a problem. In my current club we have 85 members and fly 7 days, so the ability to have set times is difficult as many people choose to fly at the drop of a hat and don't necessarily know people to be able to 'buddy' with.

In terms of mobile phones, I remain to be convinced about their impact. If you consider that at flying shows such as Weston Park or Cosford there are several thousand people present many who have phones/tablets etc, so the potential RF 'noise' is substantial, together with radios, wireless PA systems etc. I would suggest that should mobile phones be present at a flying site, that they be left in pit boxes away from radio systems and not taken on to the flight line, as you won't be able to answer it while flying.

Re mobile phones and flying, in the early days of mobile phones there were some reports of mobile phones wiping the memories of radios. Bear in mind that this was quite a while back and it wasn't radio interference per say but the electromagnetic radiation near to your Tx that could mess with the internal electronics. But those sets were probably made before mobile phones became common, and that was the gist of the BMFA recommendation not to have them on the flight line.

I try not to fly on my own if I can, mainly because it's much more enjoyable if there are a few of you.

Pretty much my thoughts Chris. Until the recent chat regarding solo flying I had never considered it to be a potential problem let alone dangerous. Yes, a mobile phone makes sense, I haven't been without one for years, and there is a first aid kit in "the Box" adjacent to the strip - that's the appropriate boxes ticked.

In fact, if you favour low, (usually) slow, and close in - the only time you can do this when you're on your own and ideally standing in the middle of the patch. However, the usual 8 to 20 regulars on a Tuesday morning, means you don't do quite so much flying, but the craic is great.

Don't worry about accidents - you could just as likely have one driving to the field - riding your bike up to the shop - on a woodland walk with the dog - or fall down the stairs at home.

What me worry? (On the front of Mad comic.)

Posted by Peter Miller on 16/04/2015 18:36:59:

I have a mobile phone but only for making calls out. No one knows my number, That includes ME! In fact my phone is never switched on.

I only have it for any emergencies.

That's exactly how I treat my PAYG £10 phone. I always take it out with me for emergencies. It was useful when my seat pin broke when I was out cycling. I was able to phone my wife and it saved my having to ride home the 10 miles standing up

Geoff

I fly alone IC or Electric.

I enjoy the fact that the only motor I can hear is mine.

As Gurth points out there are advantages.

You won't have a mid-air on your own - and there are less distractions.

I am sure there are lots of full size single seat gliders and powered aircraft.

I have sailed at sea on my own and know plenty of single handed sailors.

If you are not happy on your own or feel at risk then you are better off not doing it.

Having said that I'll probably disappear down an open manhole while I'm on my morning walk tomorrow.

I too use a PAYG mobile for safety reasons only. Don;t forget 999 is available even if you have no credit. Don't leave it in the car as you may not be able to reach the car for a number of possible reasons. I believe it is hard to move having a heart attack for instance.. Luckily I have never had an accident while flying but one never knows. I take my phone every time I leave the house but usually off or silent. Cheers John

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/04/2015 19:15:41:

Peter how long is it since it was switched on?

I've heard that some mobile phone companies cut off numbers if they are not used for a certain period. I've even heard of folk on contract being cut off, while the monthly charge has continued.

I was cut off on my contract mobile phone as I was in Afghan for seven months, but then I cay "cut off" all it really means is that the company stop the phone just in case it is lost. It took all of 3 minutes to get it back up and running again.

With PAYG numbers though Ofcom are running the regulations stating that if a mobile is not used in 180 days it is assumed that the number is no longer used and therefore can be recycled to another phone after another 90 days hibernation period in an effort to be economical with new numbers. All you need to do is make one chargeable phone call every six months to keep the number.

I do take my mobile with me to the flying field, but I tend to leave it in the car not because I fear an adverse reaction to modern radio gear, but having it ring when flying is a general distraction. If you consider the hundreds (thousands possibly?) of mobiles that are in use at the Nats and as far as I'm aware have zero impact on proceedings, I don't believe it's an issue.

As for lone flying, I think it's down to the individual to decide what they themselves are comfortable with. Having a club committee simply issue a blanket ban on lone flying for no good reason other than H&S hysteria, or even just on a whim is ridiculous. However, I do accept that some land owners might be a little nervous of having a modeller keel over and maybe even die whilst alone on their property so insist on a no lone flyers rule. If it's a case of following their requirement or not having a flying site, then there's no choice.

At the slope I was retrieving a model when I slipped an broke my ankle, my mobile was in the car. Luckily there were other fliers there. I dread to think how I would have coped on my own.

If you fly alone keep your mobile on your person. ( I almost said 'in your pocket' but that would be of little help if your jacket was in the car)

Posted by Peter Miller on 16/04/2015 18:36:59:

I have a mobile phone but only for making calls out. No one knows my number, That includes ME! In fact my phone is never switched on.

I only have it for any emergencies.

Good to know I'm not alone Peter

Edited By Dai Fledermaus on 17/04/2015 09:40:29

I fly alone sometimes. It is not something which is planned but it simply happens if there is nobody else at the field.

Yes, there is a risk, but what is life if there is not an occasional risk involved, eh..!?

I have a mobile phone, -- and I am sure this will horrify those with halos over their heads -- I have been known to take a call while flying. The aeroplane doesn't suffer, and neither do I.

Hey-ho...

B.C.