Flair SE5A electric, 4 stroke or Diesel

Posted by Gordon Tarling on 12/05/2015 12:35:54:

Justin - all the sound systems use an input from the throttle channel, which provides increasing rpm sound with increased throttle position. There's also startup and shutdown sounds, with things like machine gun sounds and lights being optional extras. Sounds and looks great on my Sopwith Pup!

Good stuff, still a nice little fourstroker for me tho.

Advert

All the sound systems I have seen use a downloaded sound replicating a particular type of engine, plus start up and close down noises - a wide range of differing engine sounds are available to suit the subject

There is one breed (and I cant find it now! but its fitted to the electrifiers spitfire that doesnt use a traditional speaker but uses actuators that then use the airframe as a sound box

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 12/05/2015 13:10:56:

... There is one breed (and I cant find it now! but its fitted to the electrifiers spitfire that doesnt use a traditional speaker but uses actuators that then use the airframe as a sound box

The speakers are the heaviest bit of a sound system, but nowadays transducers, which are lighter, can be substituted for regular speaker with any sound system I think, provided you select the correct resistance. Certainly the Benedini system I use lists transducers on its web page, though I've only used the conventional heavy 4" speakers to date. MrRCSound also promotes transducers.

You wont be disappointed! if you don't already have a os48 then grab a 52 from os/asp/saito etc. A saito 45 would also be enough for toodling about WWI style

And, just for your amusement here is my saito 45 powered Nieuport 17. Plenty of oomph. **LINK**

Apologies for all the chat and the screaming two strokes in the pits

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently acquired a flair SE5a superbly built but in need of a bit of tlc. Mainly replacing the worn out AXi outrunner. Soon dropped a BL28 20 in and have evened out the difference in weight between old and new motors by adding 32g of lead. Would appreciate a steer on correct c of g as my gut instinct is that the beastie is still tail heavy

Am I the only one to have had glow and electric versions? 20-odd years ago I had one which flew well on an O.S 40 Surpass. Now I am all electric I have another that flies at least as well on an electric setup - 3s 3000, 900kv motor, 11x7 prop giving about 400W flat out. I much prefer operating electric models, and they don"t deteriorate like I/C ones tend to. However, the SE5 is the one model I fly where I sometimes miss the glow sound and thin smoke trail against a blue sky.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 11/06/2015 21:19:26:

Am I the only one to have had glow and electric versions? 20-odd years ago I had one which flew well on an O.S 40 Surpass. Now I am all electric I have another that flies at least as well on an electric setup - ....

No, see my earlier post smiley My electric one is my original glow one from about 25 years ago, and performance (subjectively) is even better with electric power than it was with glow.

Sorry to butt in guys, and i am in no way going to suggest one way or another, but the transducers, according to Thomas (Benedini) only really seem to work well with foam models, Not so good on traditional balsa models.

The speaker is very heavy compared to the model weight and you really need a bigger model to "lose" the weight in my oppinion.

Cheers

Danny

Posted by GrahamWh on 12/06/2015 17:10:58:

Perhaps the speaker manufacturers should catch up with the rest of the world and move on to the modern sort of magnets, then the speakers could be smaller.

Edited By GrahamWh on 12/06/2015 17:11:35

They already do make speakers with rare earth magnets but I don't think they're smaller, just lighter. Which isn't necessarily an advantage in most applications.

Posted by Danny Fenton on 12/06/2015 09:10:14:

Sorry to butt in guys, and i am in no way going to suggest one way or another, but the transducers, according to Thomas (Benedini) only really seem to work well with foam models, Not so good on traditional balsa models. . . .

I haven't flown my SE5A with transducers yet, but my first impression testing in the garage is that there's less bass than with traditional speakers -- difficult to judge, I suppose, because my Magnatilla with conventional speakers is using a completely different sound file. That's with the transducers mounted on a bit of liteply infill glued onto the balsa side skin between the original liteply framing.

Before I bought them I found this article explaining how to mount and what types of materials. My SE5A's covering is getting a bit shoddy, so when I recover it this winter I'm considering whether I should replace the balsa skin where the transducers are with one of the materials in the "excellent" list -- maybe a sheet of aluminium, or corrugated "signboard" material.

I've heard the sound systems in action and imho the overall affect is actually quite average and only seems to be worth it if the motor isn't one that has a high pitch noise. Given the weight and cost, id say either go for a nice 52 fs or plain electric, don't faff in-between. If its sound you want, go IC and remove the exhaust expansion muffler.

If you do go IC, i also recommend sourcing the 90 degree muffler knuckles they sell to try and keep the exhaust in the cowl. don't be tempted by flexy exhaust pipe. Perforates and stress cracks very quickly if bent at an angle.

• 4 weeks later...

If the real se5a had an electric motor to power it. Then I could justify an electric motor in a model for me.

What a person uses for power is a personal choice. But I do not see why certain modellers should try and force

their ideas on other modellers. It is time all aspects of modelling should be respected and not knocked.

I wonder if the person who doesn't like smelly oily things, when they were having the sex thing.

Posted by anthony szostak 1 on 09/07/2015 14:50:44:

If the real se5a had an electric motor to power it. Then I could justify an electric motor in a model for me.

What a person uses for power is a personal choice. But I do not see why certain modellers should try and force

their ideas on other modellers. It is time all aspects of modelling should be respected and not knocked.

I wonder if the person who doesn't like smelly oily things, when they were having the sex thing.

No-one tried to force anything on anyone! and refering to them as dirty oily smelly things was very much toungue in cheek..... the origninal question was asking what we thought should power the plane, so we gave our opinions/suggestions - if he had not of asked we would not have suggested alternatives...

As for anyones sex life/preferences that has no place on this forum and none of your business anyway wink

On the Baronette I used 10mm copper micro bore pipe to run the exhaust from the bottom of the cowl, with an upright engine and exhaust I would have thought silver soldering this pipe would be easy.

I found that the supplied exhaust nut would cut a usable thread into the pipe.