Whats the furthest you've travelled for your hobby??

I am going to pick a new plane up from London tomorrow (I live in Birmingham) and it got me thinking. What is the furthest that you have ever travelled for your hobby?

This could be to pick up a new model or anything else where you haven't been able to get near home. This can even include going to shows, fly-ins and swopmeets.

I think my longest travel so far has been to the show at Sandown Racecourse which was a good few years ago now.

Watford -> Hiroshima, Japan?

When my son won the Hirobo cup in Belgium, back around 1995, he was invited to the World finals in Japan. But at 15, he was too young to travel on his own, so I had to accompany him!

Its a hard life! wink

I think you'll find that some competitors have been even further. And no, the BMFA don't pay for international teams to travel to these events, though they do provide a fair bit of support from the profits of events like the Nationals. It never covers the entire cost of attending a World - or even European - Champs, though. So most competitors are very grateful for the contributions made by other members at fund raising events, raffles, etc, to support our teams. Most team members end up out of pocket at the end of the day.

--

Pete

Last year, Terry Walters and I flew over from Cahors, SW France, for the Greenacres RCM&E Fly-In.

Flight distance, Rodez to Stansted, is 527 miles. Road from Stansted to Walsall is 133 miles, thus 660 miles....smile p

I think that will be beaten by Danny Fenton, who drove down to Marmande, just west of us, for the World RC Champs last year. The Aussies who competed there, and who had to fund their own travel and model shipping, will probably trump anything this thread can throw up! teeth 2

Pete

I've done some travelling. Home in north Warwickshire to Portsmouth to pick up a plane and home to Southport for another one. Go to Elvington every year for the day and winterton for the day. Used to go to Plumpton show and Sandown. Have been to slough models and Steve Webb a couple of times. I did go to Florida on on holiday and came back with a few goodies, but not sure that counts as it was primarily a holiday.br />My club was approached a couple of years ago by an ozzy who was doing a world tour with his wife. He visited France, UK, Switzerland, Germany, Canada and Japan with his HK P51 in his suitcase. He flew it at every site including ours. That's a fair old journey.

Edited By ChrisB on 29/05/2015 23:13:26

Edited By ChrisB on 29/05/2015 23:14:21

Edited By ChrisB on 29/05/2015 23:14:50

When I lived in Italy I went to heli smackdown on the beach - which was in Rimini - from Casatenovo near Milan, where I used to live. This was 224 miles.I also went to Faszination Modellbau in Friedrichshafen, Germany (near lake constance), even crossing Switzerland and a part of Austria this was only 212 miles. Now in the UK both Greenacres and the nats are 80 miles only.Getting lazy as it looks....

VA

A few years ago I travelled from Bournemouth to Aurora, Oregon to the Proctor factory when it was there to pick up some wheels and various parts for a Proctor Nieport 11 I was building. I insisted it was a holiday but my wife always says it was to pick up these parts! but she did enjoy it! won't let me for get though!!

not quite in the league of some, but the furthest traveled for the last few years (5 i think!!) a bunch of us have traveled from various points in UK to a show near cologne Germany, me personally from north staffs round trip of 1200 miles by road and ferry with a 15ft modeling trailer, some from south wales and SW england and one each from suffolk  and Glasgow, but it is a superb event and hope to do it all again.

chris

Edited By ceejay on 30/05/2015 21:18:24

Hmm, nothing world shattering I'm afraid.

According to Google maps 132 miles round trip from Exeter to the Mendip Hills Cross Country Gliding competition. Since I still can't fly without power assistence, I didn't participate. Though I did injure my foot walking UP the hill. dont know

Furthest for a diffenent hobby was only about double that was about 125 miles each way for a "Round Hayling Island" windsurfing event. I didn't hurt my foot that time.