Windows 10 - Any Advice

Neil67

Just upgraded. Nvidia graphics card not recognised, and no DVD drive. many Windows settings such as date and time format have not carried across. Cortana.... well apparently I can't use it because I am in the wrong country. Funny that I have Windows set for UK English.

Microsoft is continuing their usual low standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my earlier post of woes... I have rolled back to the OP which was preinstalled on my ACER laptop purchased around 3 months ago. It's Windows 8.1 which I don't like, but at least it actually "works"! Win 10 continued to annoy the hell outta me, printer couldn't be found, half the taskbar buttons were frozen dead - couldn't even adjust volume, or access the network in use wiithout having to go through control panel etc. Edge was absolute pants - slow, froze regularly and the whole experience was a royal PITA. Couldn't access my smart TV or NAS drivce half the time, and power meter regularly indicated an almost empty battery ( which was incorrect ) - plugging in my PSU just blanked the machines screen completely !!

I did start to wonder whether it was me / machine / virus etc - you know those thoughts you get when lots start going wrong ;-(. However, I rolled back a few days ago, and hey presto, everything works again exactly as it should - having no printing ability was especially annoying, but my 12 month old HP all-in-one is back and running fine. It may well be OK for some folks /machines but me and 10 certainly were incompatible Grrrr.

I just wish now that I could do a good old fashioned full format and install friendly old windows 7 platinum from my OEM disk - however Im not sure that this is possible - and then I have the worry of them discontinuing "support" for 7.

I hate Microsoft - enough to make me go ubunto or linux ( but not IOS ) LOL

Full fresh install should be easy to do from the OEM disk. Have you got a product key? You can extract that easy enough if needed, and that should be all you need to get the job done. If you think you won't have driver issues in Ubuntu, you'd best try a "live CD" first to check - previous times I've tried has been hardware hell.

Odd, Tim - I had 8.1 on my recent Acer and I've experienced nothing but better performance and total compatibility with everything I've used with W10! I haven't bothered much with Cortana or Edge (although it has worked OK on the odd occasion) and use Firefox - my preferred browser for some years.

I even have an HP all in one (2540) printer which has continued to work without any problems!

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/09/2015 11:06:22

Posted by Martin Harris on 03/09/2015 10:59:57:

Odd, Tim - I had 8.1 on my recent Acer and I've experienced nothing but better performance and total compatibility with everything I've used with W10! I haven't bothered much with Cortana or Edge (although it has worked OK on the odd occasion) and use Firefox - my preferred browser for some years.

I even have an HP all in one (2540) printer which has continued to work without any problems!

Edited By Martin Harris on 03/09/2015 11:06:22

Thanks for that Martin grrr - made me doubt m'self again now LOL. My printer is a 5520, and the laptop is E6 summat or other ;-(

Edited By Tim Mackey on 03/09/2015 11:14:33

Posted by Andy Meade on 03/09/2015 10:59:49:

Full fresh install should be easy to do from the OEM disk. Have you got a product key? You can extract that easy enough if needed, and that should be all you need to get the job done. If you think you won't have driver issues in Ubuntu, you'd best try a "live CD" first to check - previous times I've tried has been hardware hell.

Hi Andy... my win7 disk was "acquired" a few years back from an authourised reseller /refurbisher and from what I remeber, it never asked for a key during install. I used it a few times on an older laptop and a cuple of tower systems I had back then. Ive now ditched all the older gear and thought I would just use this "new" laptop which of course, came preinstalled with the fab win 8 ;-(

The geeky bloke in PC world looked at me daft when I said I would have preferred an empty disk as I wanted to install windows 7 and office XP ! Kids eh ?

I had problems u/g from W7 to W10. Had ESET Smart Security. They said it would install straight over , but it didn't like it. So I un-installed the ESET virus checker , then up graded to W10, and then re-installed ESET. Up to now it's been working OK for a few weeks. No problems ( as I quickly look around for some wood to touch smiley ) ​

Well I was thinking of moving on to Win 10 but nothing here has encouraged me to do so! I hate Win 8.1 anyway.

So as I am well satisfied with Win 7 I am thinking of just upgrading my other Dell computer from Vista to Win 7. Trouble is buying a copy of Win 7. Several of the sellers quote " no Dell HP or Fujitsu Version"

Anybody know why they say that?

Does it mean it's not suitable for Dell? Or does it mean it's a full version not a version previously sold with Dell etc. ?

Edited By kc on 05/09/2015 15:20:28

Posted by Tim Mackey on 04/09/2015 19:55:49:

Errrr, NO - its bad enough being slave to MS but Apple slaves pay through the nose for underpowered glitz boxes.

I have to disagree (although I used to be totally with you). I've tried all the Windows computers, and I've never been totally happy with them. I'm currently using an independent called Chillblast which I've had a year (laptop), and it's been good, but has had its issues - randomly crashes now and then. Vendor has said there is known issue with the chassis, and W10 may help with a cure - hence my interest in this thread. Why should I have to change the os for it to work?

I have always avoided Apple products, and then this year I needed something to take on holiday for emails and surfing the net. I ended up buyin a min ipad at the airport, and I have to say it's the best bit of technology I've bought in a long time (I'm on it now!). In fact I am so impressed I bought the wife a Macbook for her birthday (she doesn't know yet!). In fact, the reviews I read on the MacBook Pro 2015 13" basically concluded it was currently the best 13" laptop you could buy.

Personally I am quite a heavy user of pc's, and given how long they have been around, I would say they are crap. I am constantly running scans on my work pc to get rid of all the bugs etc. software doesn't work well together. It drives me nuts.

Edited By Rich2 on 05/09/2015 20:05:27

Edited By Rich2 on 05/09/2015 20:07:15

Edited By Rich2 on 05/09/2015 20:08:39

Must be poor administration of your work machines I'd guess then. All our work machines are 100% reliable, and run Windows of course, as the top end CAD systems don't run on the Mac playthings

They just need to be well looked after and people need to be careful what they click on. Macs are generally so locked down it helps protect the more....click happy users.

Anyway - upgraded the Wife's Alienware laptop to Win 10 - seamless and everything hunky dory. Now running 4 machines at home on 10, all perfect.

Kc - the issues you've found maybe down to a volume licensed version that will not be compatible with the bios on those makes of machine.

Mmmmm, funny, top end printers use Macs and not pc's, go figure wink - I am not in the print business though, but a close friend is and has always told me pc's are crap - horses for courses I guess (we still use pc's at work). But my first experience with an Apple product was very positive.

Btw I am largely responsible for the admin of IT at work. wink

Edited By Rich2 on 05/09/2015 20:23:51

Edited By Rich2 on 05/09/2015 20:24:19

Now, now boys time to come in from the playground and stop treading on each other's lollipops and desist from my is better than yours, Yaboo Sucks! mentality theme. As an observation after upgrading my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I had no issues at all other than the IBM Trusteer antikey-logging software recommend by NatWest for online banking thus far didn't support the new MS Edge browser. That said I am a heavy user of Apple products such as Mac and iPad and there is no doubt based on what I see for the personal user (not business as I have no knowledge on that) they are extremely popular and folks love them. I just find MS just not exciting and well, slower than my Apple applications. However, Windows 10 as far as I can see was never meant to be anything other than a catch up move by MS with Apple to try and match the touch screen technology that it provides.