Ballerina

I am still waiting for the publication of a previous plan so I can't even beging to imagine when it will be published.

I have called it Ballerina after people said that the previous name was had unpleasant connections because they didn't know anything about my original choice

There are lots of examples of models having the same name. Names are not copyright.

Interesting that you used spruce stringers for the turtle deck Peter rather than your usual rolled balsa sheet. Like it.

I can see that I will have to crack on and finish my Alley Cat build before the Ballerina plan is published. I have been meaning to build a Miss Lizzy for years and Dragon Dancer 2 is on the list as well. Oh well, too many models, so little time!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/09/2015 08:33:42

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm clearing the modelling bench ready for the December Ballerina plan. Just got to finish an electrified balsa Wot 4 (a tight fit with a 4s 5000 lipo).

On Ballerina I'm not sure whether to use IC or use *lectric, it rather depends on the model weight I guess as I have standardised on 2 lipo sizes (the other is 3S 2200). so if it needs something in between -I'll go IC.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be partaking in this years mass build for the first time. And the way it's looking the ballerina will be the model chosen. This will be my first scratch built model from a plan. I have built a couple of cnc kits before but this time I would like to just cut all parts myself.

Is there a a shopping list on the plan with a list of what wood I will need for the build. It's just I would like to get the wood in with one go.

Glad to know that you will be joining the build.

There isn't a deidcated wood list I am afraid that when I build I just take sheets out of stock but also I use my scrap box a lot and so t gets mixed up.

There is an article on the FOrum. I think it is called "Wouldn't you like to know" Or "Woodn't you like to know" which covers estimating materials in some detail.. I will see if I can find it.

Yes, Found it.

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/11/2015 08:16:52

I might build the Ballerina. Suppose to build the model I've almost finished over the Xmas period. So looks like it may the next one. Do have a few spare OS 40FS's and Saito 45 Specials. Possible of putting a OS Wankel in it, as have 6 on the shelf waiting for planes...

Does look like the Maher's Pacer, including the colour scheme. I've got the Pacer with a OS Gemini flat twin in it. Needs a 2.4 rx to fly again.

Edited By Paul Marsh on 22/11/2015 18:16:30

Should the ballerina be chosen for the Mass Build, it's looking that way I need to think abound engines.

At the moment I have a spare os46 ax 2 stroke in the garage. Would this be a suitable choice? I know it's slightly bigger than the recommended size but I'm just trying to save spending out on a new engine.

Well, the 46AX would make it go like a rocket. However this may help with your decision.

My Dancing Queen from Traplet was fitted with a Wankle and it also had an Eagle Tree G meter.

Just to find out how strong it was I did a lng dive and full power full up elevator pull out.

The G meter recorded 24.8 G. The model was completely undamaged. I would say that that proves how strong the standard construction I use is.

Posted by i12fly on 24/11/2015 23:26:12:

Could someone pleas tell me how heavy the OS 40 4 stroke with silencer is? I'm planning to go electric and need to calculate to get the balance right, but can't find the info on the net.

Edited By i12fly on 24/11/2015 23:27:27

It says here 11.4 oz but it doesn't say if it's with or without exhaust

Actually it says here  the FS 40S  weighs 12.5 ounces plus .7 for silencer so 13.2 oz total.

An actual OS 46AX two stroke weighs 17.75 oz = quite a lot heavier but more powerful

for comparison a 4S3000 Lipo weighs about 11.75oz and a motor such as a 3536 or 3542 about 5 oz so total almost 17 oz.   again heavier but the weight in the Lipo inevitably comes further aft.

Edited By kc on 25/11/2015 13:30:25

I have an OS FS 30S and an OS FS 48S but nothing in between.

If I build Ballerina really light will I get away with the 30 and if I use the 48 will I need to scale up the aircraft. If I do scale up I would go the whole hog like Martyn K

Otherwise I had better buy one before there is a global shortage if my hunch is correct.

Posted by Levanter3 on 25/11/2015 18:39:07:

I have an OS FS 30S and an OS FS 48S but nothing in between.

If I build Ballerina really light will I get away with the 30 and if I use the 48 will I need to scale up the aircraft. If I do scale up I would go the whole hog like Martyn K

Otherwise I had better buy one before there is a global shortage if my hunch is correct.

The .48 will be fine, I have other similar models flying on the .48 and even a.52 FS would not be too much.

I feel that the .60 FS might start to lose the character of the model.