Ballerina

KC It wasn't cancelled. Paul actually asked for it to be deleted. BEB suspended the thread to allow some cooling off and asked Paul to pm him if he wanted to continue. BEB was conciliatory despite his views about starting early (shared by most it seems). It is rightfully in Paul's hands and I too hope he un-bins the model, continues the good work and keeps posting.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/12/2015 15:25:32

I've broke the model - and it isn't good any more. Lost heart with it and didn't want to carry on. It's in the bin in a thousand pieces and would have to make a new one - if I wanted to,

The build was going ok, I build things my way and wasn't wrong. I prefer to build a certain way - makes it more interesting to figure it out myself. In any way, all my models I've built my self have flown perfectly. Such as the Jezebel. Made mods to that and not even looked at the article, but it flew perfect, as in this clip:

=

This is really sad...

I was donated a crashed vintage - from the 90's - Graupner glider about a year ago.

Never been in RC before, so decided to get some info how possibly to repair it to ever fly again.

So, I've been spending a mega-lot of hours here on this forum to get as much as possible information.

I had been reading about Peter Miller's designs & recently as Dave Hopkin intended to build a Depron version of the MB, I decided to stop the daily 'reading' & to start to do something about it and to join him in my first ever (scratch)build.

Following all of the Ballerina Prep builds, I've been noticing some 'tongue in the cheeks' comments, some 'not so fun' offending remarks, some 'show-cocking' blogs from other experienced people...

... and then now a 'binned' model !

I thought this hobby was supposed to be 'fun'...

I thought this forum was supposed to be 'friendly' to a whole community...

I thought that one of the Mass Build's main goals was to attract 'newcomers to bash some balsa'...

I also thought it was a celebration to Peter Miller's designing career... Wondering now what the man is thinking about it...

Could we please try to get some pleasure back in this MB?

Chris

Brussels, Belgium

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/12/2015 20:06:04

It is very sad McG 6969, I am not sure what is going on.

It is a real shame that Paul decided to scrap his model, it was looking good. I think it will take me about a month of my spare time to get that far. In the spirit of the mass build I am waiting until the 1st Jan before I start doing anything, in truth I want to see how BEB fixes his electric motor because I have bought the same one.

Hey - BEB wants to see how BEB is going to fix his motor! wink 2

yes chaps it is sad about Paul. But he's made his decision and we should respect that. His thread is open if he did want to return to it - but that is entirely his choice.

Now, let's move on. Just 5 sleeps to go! Exciting. My problem is I need to get some shed time in urgently in the next few days - I have an Acro-Wot in bits on the bench and a Balsa Craft FW190 nearlly finished that needs completing! I must get at least one of them out of the way before I start the Ballerina!

BEB

I sort of agree with Why Paul has 'thrown in the towel' and I did think that the comments made in his post were unnecessary (towards him), from an outsider 'looking in' point of view, even I thought that there was nothing wrong with him building his way. I say sort of because it would annoy me too but I wouldn't have binned it.
I can tell you that I rarely do things how they are supposed to be done and enjoy doing things my way. Just because I've done it my way, dosen't mean it's not going to work and besides, that's half the fun.
I can also tell you that if I was joining the mass build, that the way I was going to build the Ballerina was not going to be anywhere near the same as how it is 'planned'.

I did notice earlier on that the 'fun' part appeared to have been replaced with 'serious' and truth be told, it has turned me off from joining the build.

Enjoy your builds guys and lose the 'seriousness', it's meant to be fun and remember, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Edited By Rosco on 27/12/2015 20:42:24

Rosco, don't let it put you off. Once the build starts all this nonsense will stop. I think we have a difficult time at the moment. Christmas frays nerves, the weather keeps people from flying, "cabin fever" sets in, impatience to start etc. It all conspires to make a grumpy atmosphere. But once the build begins I guarantee all that will disappear - it will be fun, and offer beginners and experienced builders alike a really positive experience! Join in - build your Ballerina - you know you want to wink 2

BEB

I wanted to do the mass build next year. Missed the Webbit, as not even Steve Webb Models tried to sell me a kit to build for the event - and not known about it until the actual event,; The Autogyro I wasn't keen on, and thought this is my cup of tea.

Problem is my perception of competitions and the event are tainted, I won't do another mass build at all, and like last year I had no interest, whilst the prize giving was going on, I was somewhere else: Packing the car and making a cup of tea...

I will be packing the car during the prize giving again next year -  I don't like competitions as it gets to serious - I prefer fun with my hobby - and looks like I was right - it was/is getting too serious - that's why I didn't follow the bickering on the mass build forum threads - the arguing that Chris mentioned kept me away - and I didn't know that starting before Jan 1st was taboo.

The Radjet Mass launch was fun, though.

Please don't delete this, this is my thoughts and will be my last comment on that. Moving on...

Edited By Paul Marsh on 27/12/2015 21:13:37

Why should we delete it Paul - we only delete posts that breech the CoC - that doesn't so it won't be deleted.

But - just to nip any misconceptions in the bud! The Mass Build is not, nor has it ever been, a competition! I have done them all - except one - and I've never had the slightest involvment with a competition. OK, the mag was good enough to offer a very small prize for the "best build" - but that is just a bit of fun. It is not about competition. If some people see it that way then the fault is in their perception - not the event.

Also, its not about Greenacres and fly-ins either. Yes if you want to bring your MB model to Greenacres that's fine, but there is absolutely no pressure to do so and you can have the full MB experience without that.

The Mass Build is there to encourage new builders by offering them a chance to build alongside the more experienced - full stop.

Its supposed to be fun, and it will become fun when people stop this nonsense! And stop pouring over plans and nit-picking discrepencies. For heaven sake lads - its just a model aeroplane! And not a particularly complicated one at that.

BEB

as they say xmas is stressfull,...never done a mass build before but love the look of this one,im all electric now,lots of 3s 2200 i could double up on but as many have said not the best setup,all my models are either 5 or 10s apart from my foamy jets on the 3s so ive started enlarging to 120%,not very good with computers an the like so its down to good ole ruler and set sqare and a roll of lining paper.might be ready for the 1st,might be on the slow side as i will have to work it in with my bt spitfire.

Andy

• 2 years later...

Hi TP.

Welcome to the Ballerina build. Better late than never

I am sure that you will find her a really nice first low wing model. She is one of my all time favourites and I have yet to hear of anypone who had any complaints about her and they have done her in several sizes and power units.

Have fun

Peter

Edited By Peter Miller on 29/10/2018 14:54:02

I like it a lot Trevor. Also like your colour scheme..... lovely.

I’d be very keen to get the details of your power train if you’re willing to share. More pics of your model would be lovely too.

I would like to put some bigger wheels on the undercarriage as well, as the grass at our strip is quite thick.

TP

Mines electric, too.

Motor: Turnigy SK3 4240, 740 rpm/volt 50 amp maximum current

esc: Turnigy PLush 60 amp

(both those were suggested by BEB )

I run mine with a 12x6 prop which delivers 500 watts which is a touch under 100 watts/lb but not by much.

I opened up a bit more of the fuselage for battery access. I find the battery needs to be quite well forward but perhaps that's my wood choice (I built mine from scratch rather than buy the wood pack)

ballerina open hatch.jpg

ballerina airfield 5.jpg

Has a bit more decoration, now (eg a Ballerina silhouette on the fin). This was taken before the test flight.

Geoff

First picture is what it looks like now, with a "Destiny" elliptical wing. Original configuration shown in following photos. I changed the u/c to a fuselage mounted torsion bar arrangement purely from personal preference. The motor is an E-Max BL2820/07 which I think from memory is 900kV. Again from memory, I think the prop is 13x6 to give about 450W. Lovely flier on the original wing, even better with the elliptical but I wouldn't bother with that complication if I were you - just build as per plan and enjoy!l

ballerina e 001.jpg

ballerina 002.jpg

ballerina 001.jpg

That’s a lovely looking model Trevor, in both configurations. Thank you for the info on your power train as well, almost time to go shopping for the extra bits and bobs.

I don’t know which part of the build I enjoy more, the pre-build shopping stage or the first mock up of the first stage of the build. I feel Ike a kid waiting fo Christmas.

TP

• 5 months later...

Now a couple of years old but with the current spectacular weather (24C in April!) meant I just had to fly it.

15apr17f

A perfectly normal Ballerina and built more or less the same way but almost entirely in 2 & 3 mm Depron. It also has retracts!

Even with only a tiny 150 W motor (but still giving over 100W/lb!) it has a pretty reasonable performance as long as you don't mind 'slow'! In calm conditions it is truly relaxing to fly and with its stab rx 'on' even more so. smile p

It uses an 1800 mAh 3s and just for fun yesterday I just pottered about for a remarkable 42 minutes before the first hint of LVC.

Why retracts? Well my field has pretty rough grass. The take off is very short so it manages but far the safest way to land it is with a 'belly' job. Without undercarriage the ground effect from that big broad wing is amazing!

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 20/04/2019 12:52:35