No more Flair SE5a?

Having just wrecked my 20-year-old Flair SE5a, I decided to buy another one, so I contacted my local model shop and asked them to get me a kit. A couple of days later they emailed me that "Having finally managed to speak to Flair, their kits are not available at the moment. They have told me that the person that produces the kits has left the company."

I went straight onto the internet and saw one in stock at SMC, so I placed my order and got a couple of confirmation emails. Next day I got another email from them saying, "Sorry to say that Flair have currently not got any of their kits in production."

With the internet these days you would think that people like Flair and SMC (and others) could alert potential customers when items are not available. Luckily I've found another major internet supplier who claims to have stock and who has accepted my order.

It'll be a shame if Flair Scout kits go by the wayside.

Advert

Yes it will be a shame but think about the manufacurer s point of view. If they can't sell enough then its just not worth their effort. One kit in 20 years doesn't really keep a company afloat smiley. There are very few decent kits around today but DB still do a Se5 I believe .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 20/08/2015 09:11:23

Sorry about you losing a favourite model and it's annoying for you to find that a replacement is, for now, out of production.

Personally, I think we're getting a bit jaded with ARTFs (not so much basic trainers or foamy stuff) and I detect that the move back to kits/plan packs etc is well underway, certainly within the circle of my friends across two large clubs. Off the top of my head I can think of five Tony Nijhuis projects a couple of DB kits and my own Zlin 526 from an original Sig kit all underway or completed within the last year or so.

The number of new, quality ARTF scale models appearing where I fly has diminished noticeably of late and I wonder if this is as a result of a less interesting range being available and the increasing cost of ARTFs coming from the far eastern makers.

Obviously there are business considerations affecting kit manufacture starting up again, but lets hope that the likes of Flair and Goldberg etc make a reappearance and we do all we can to encourage them to do so.

I learnt to fly on a flair pup and it would be tragic if these kits evaporate into nothing.

I too believe that building models is making a comeback, and at my club we are trying to put together some group builds to get people into it.

While i am not 100% of my information i believe that the people currently running flair have other jobs and run flair as a side line. As such it dose not receive the attention that perhaps it ought.

I am very pleased that DB have bee bought by a UK based and enthusiastic guy who is extremely helpful. So, everyone buy his kits and keep them going otherwise we will be left without any kit manufactures at all!

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 20/08/2015 09:39:26:

Would a copy of the plan and instructions be of any help?----Surely some parts of the wrecked plane could be salvaged?

Thanks for the offer. The model spiraled in when I was starting a go-around after I came in too high for a landing, and trashed both wings and the front of the fuselage. The motor, prop, battery, and all the electronics survived, which I why I'm getting another of the same, but the original was a conversion from glow which had already been butchered so much that it wasn't worth trying a repair, and it also needed re-covering, a job which I had planned for this winter. With the benefit of my previous experience I'll now be able to make a much better job of the electric installation -- the previous one worked fine, but many aspects of the it were a compromise, which I can now do better starting from scratch.

I understand the bit about commercial viability, but with modern computer-controlled machines seemingly ten-a-penny I would have though that low-volume production -- even on a made-to-order basis -- could become even more viable than it used to be.

The last time I visited Flair (late last year?) the place was deserted though unlocked and seemed to be overseen by the receptionist of a neighbouring company. They were quite an old fashioned company with racks of goodies such as Williams Bro, APC, Solarfilm products etc. but I saw no evidence of computerised stock control. The kits were being put together by one gent who was far from the first flush of youth so I guess he has retired now. They couldn't even process card payments, only cash!

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 20/08/2015 11:30:59:

The last time I visited Flair (late last year?) the place was deserted though unlocked and seemed to be overseen by the receptionist of a neighbouring company. They were quite an old fashioned company with racks of goodies such as Williams Bro, APC, Solarfilm products etc. but I saw no evidence of computerised stock control. The kits were being put together by one gent who was far from the first flush of youth so I guess he has retired now. They couldn't even process card payments, only cash!

What a tragedy that a once thriving business has descended into such a state. Remember the larger and more complex Flair Brisfit and Tigermoth? I may be mistaken, but I think they were good sellers in the US before the ARTF revolution. Surely, that market must still exist and in Europe as well?

The Scout Series of kits are brilliant because they are a convenient size and don't require large and expensive engines.  Their attraction was giving the average club flyer the opportunity of having a WW1 type fighter without a huge investment in time or cash.

Edited By Cuban8 on 20/08/2015 11:49:56

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 20/08/2015 11:34:13:

Seems to be a kit here:

**LINK**

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 20/08/2015 11:34:35

Thanks, but hopefully I've got one on order from Steve Webb Models -- I haven't got a shipping advice email from them yet but, looking on the bright side, they haven't emailed me that they're out of stock either .... yet wink

Being a new modeller and builder and having purchased a flair scout kit several months ago AND then a BD sport and scale kit. I would say that if the flair kits were laser cut they would sell better. My kit was quite poor quality wise regarding the stamped parts. The other components were excellent. I think the ribs were cut using 2 stamps and these were not the same in shape so you end up with 2 sets of different ribs,which by the way are boomerang wanna be`s !

Well if the Flair kits are not obtainable in future then modellers must look elsewhere.

It's not a true scale model but the DB Sport & Scale Mannock at 60 inch span and their Scout at 56 inch span are both SE5 lookalikes. Both slightly larger than the Flair one but probably a lot more economical to build.

Mannock is 15 pounds for the plan an 19 pounds for a set of wing ribs here

There is a also 'German' version of the Mannock called the Richtofen.

Scout is 10 pounds for a plan and 18 pounds for set of ribs.here

All David Boddington designs and the Mannock is renowned model from way back. can be built in a clipped wing version for aerobatics.

I think low volume* kits like this are probably going to go the way of the dodo within a few years, but luckily the availability of laser cutting from plans is getting much better and more economical now, so all is not lost!

* - Yes I know they were very popular some years ago, but I am talking in terms of sales volumes today.

Edited By MattyB on 20/08/2015 19:31:53

You did well to find the SE5a kit. I spent a good bit of time earlier in the year trying to track down a Flair Hannibal kit with no luck. Having realised that there was no realistic prospect of any more being produced in the foreseeable future, I settled on a Balsa USA Eindecker kit. However, My plan was always to build a sport model with an aerotowing capability so I am busy 'de-scaling' the Eindecker for example by moving the cockpit rearwards (so that the tow release can go in the headrest), fitting a Baronette aluminium cowl (because I liked the look on the Hannibal) and a triangular tailplane (ditto). Quite ironic really when you think how many people have spent even more time kit-bashing the Flair designs into pukka scale jobs!

Trevor

P.S. When I remember the splendid service we used to get from Flair in the days of Dudley Patterson, it really is sad to see the company in such dire straits.

In fairness, I contacted Flair for a new cowl, for my Dr VII, they hadn't got one, but pointed me to their supplier, with the comment,"to keep you in the air". And one is now coming to me. But it is a pity. Flair models may be semi scale, but, from a short distance look good, and they fly beautifully. If the designs are lost, we are poorer for the loss. And die cut is not a sure sign of poor quality, a die cut Flair kit goes together fine, with the proviso, check the weight of the timber at the back of the plane. Medium light is good.