Hawker Hunter crashed at shoreham airshow

Paul Harris 5

Advert

I AM sure.......It would be insensitively inappropriate. But then so is publishing sensationalist fireball pictures.

Sadly the reports at the time of writing state seven dead, one more with life threatening injuries. No indication of lesser injuries, but the A27 is rarely quiet, esp when an Air Show is on, when people come and watch from every available point outside.

The pictures I saw on the news showed it hitting the ground tail first, like a stall, but it was such a low level shot you couldn't see if it was on the road or not and despite the fireballs and smoke, the aircraft was seen flat in the undergrowth, unbroken and even apparently unburnt, next to and parallel with, the road, so I'm thinking the tail must have hit any cars involved and, horribly, it was they that caused the fire and smoke. I guess it depends which channel's news you watched.

I, too, wondered why the flaps.

I am sure this will lead to a crack down on adventurous aerobatics from jets in particular and aircraft generally if they are not true aerobats.

MrTin

Fifty yards either side might have missed all the traffic. Of course it's a horrible scene but when you see the video Cymaz linked then you realise that both BBC and Sky censored the important part - moments before impact and impact. Its the same film but stopped at the imprtant part and then restarted a moment later. Earlier they showed the complete thing I think. Frankly we need to be able to see what happens - however horrible - ( if we want ) just so we know we are being told the truth when the report comes out. Makes you wonder what else they censor.

We may have seen the last of jets at airshows but let's hope not. Bournemouth next week - I wonder if it will go ahead?

Posted by kc on 22/08/2015 20:27:59:

Fifty yards either side might have missed all the traffic. Of course it's a horrible scene but when you see the video Cymaz linked then you realise that both BBC and Sky censored the important part - moments before impact and impact. Its the same film but stopped at the imprtant part and then restarted a moment later. Earlier they showed the complete thing I think. Frankly we need to be able to see what happens - however horrible - ( if we want ) just so we know we are being told the truth when the report comes out. Makes you wonder what else they censor.

We may have seen the last of jets at airshows but let's hope not. Bournemouth next week - I wonder if it will go ahead?

See video I linked to in post 3.

Hi Guys

I was at shoreham today and have seen the event numerous times both in videos and my own mind.

I have also seen this display before and he often does a low power slow speed loop with flaps down as part of a graceful start to the display before turning up the wick later on.

Everything I saw says the pilot made a mistake but I do not have all the facts. All I can say is that from the video it can be seen his left wing drops and is picked up before impact. At that moment he had a tailwind pointing almost exactly onto that left wing tip. This could have been a factor. Also, the ground on that side of the airfield rises and this could have been a factor. The fact that the wing was picked up after it dropped suggests the aircraft was controllable. The high angle of attack is symptomatic of a stall but without all the facts its hard to say. I can only give my view point.

A friend took a photo moments before impact and it shows a strong plume from the engine suggesting he had power. Another chap I spoke to says he heard more power applied before impact.

The current information I got from an official at the show was that the pilot had passed away in hospital and there were a further 7 fatalities on the ground. This is only what I heard and is not confirmed.

I was deeply impressed by the respectful reaction of the crowd at the show and the primary concern from everyone (from overheard conversations) was 'is the pilot ok?'.

My sympathies are with the families of those involved and I hope the AAIB investigation is able to shed some light on what went wrong.

Posted by kc on 22/08/2015 20:27:59:

Frankly we need to be able to see what happens - however horrible - ( if we want ) just so we know we are being told the truth when the report comes out. Makes you wonder what else they censor.

kc I don't know what professional skills you have that make you think that you would should be able to view all the evidence from an air crash in order to decide yourself what the cause of the accident was when the highly experienced Air Accident Investigation Branch is carrying out the investigation. You should be deeply ashamed at your comment "Makes you wonder what else they censor?"