Lidle and Aldi

Kelly

Advert

I tend to use them a lot for food/wine and tools (mainly Aldi) As far as hardware is concerned Aldi have a good no quibble returns and money back policy. Plus most of their stuff has a 3 year warranty. Ive hardly had anything go wrong other the years to be honest. The best bargain I ever had was from Lidl. It was a Bresser Nightlux night vision scope. It had been reduced from £99 to £59. When I checked on the Bresser web site they were still selling it for £350!!! 

I tend to look at it this way. The Germans like good quality and a bargain. So if its good enough for them it should be good enough for us!

Just for useless information - both retailers are owned by two German brothers. Years ago they both owned one of the supermarket chains  together (cant remember which). They then had a major bust up and split.  The other brother then started the other chain as competition to his brother.

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

I shop at Aldi every week, and as long as you are not for all banded makes every thing is good, and dues what it said on the tin, and I have only had one tool fall and it was replaced with out question and if the big chains where to run as well as Aldi, we would see a lot lower price goods there lose leader tack ticks get people in to the shop and this leads to people buying there other more profitable good, and they run on a low staff count, this is where they score.

cheap as chips Owen.  

• 4 years later...
Posted by Alan B on 16/06/2008 10:57:00:

Just for useless information - both retailers are owned by two German brothers. Years ago they both owned one of the supermarket chains together (cant remember which). They then had a major bust up and split. The other brother then started the other chain as competition to his brother.

Just stumbled upon this thread and for the sake of accuracy, although this is probably of no interest to anyone, the above statement is wrong.

ALDi was owned by two brothers named Albrecht and they did have a bust up over the policy of selling tobacco at a discount. The busines was divided into two groups, ALDI NORD and ALDI SUD ( north and south).

UK shops are under the control of Aldi Sud.

Lidl (rhymes with needle) was started by a chap named Schwarz but as the name Schwarz Markt (black market) did not seem to be appropriate for a discount retailer, Schwarz bought the rights to use the name of a business partner named Lidl.

SOme stuff is brilliant, some is not.

I have a power plane that cost £12, works a treat for what I need it for, Thei huge boxes of drills at about £14 is well worth buying.

The little 10 X 20 Optus field glasses at about £7 were excellent, as good asmy big Jessops pair. The later silver coloured ones were useless and thei big zoom binoculars were a total disaster, they ended up in the bin.

I could go on but you get the idea.

A couple of years ago I bought a really nice portable gas soldering iron kit from Lidl

Really good iron, worked a treat, but when I tried to get spare bits, nowhere to be found. Lidl don't stock spares, and I've never found anything compatible since.

So what, at the time may seem to be a bargain, may become useless in a very short space of time. frown

Posted by Oldbaldfella on 13/08/2012 07:45:27:

Polarised sunglasses for £3.50 a couple of years back.....better than some I've had costing much more smile d

Went back and bought another 6 pairs.

A pair for the piking box, a pair for the fly fishing box, a pair for the flight box....you get the picture?wink 2

Power craft mini drill- greeeaaattttt. From Aldi

Soldering Gun for Deans, bullet and bowden cable type connectors - great for big heavy work. - Lidl

Plastic multi- compartment storage boxes for all those bits and pieces we use- Lidl

Universal thinners - for various jobs - works fine - Lidl

Glue Gun - Aldi, does the job.

Possibly more, seem fine to me.

How many hours a week do you all spend combing the shelves at these places? I've tried twice to do a food shop at Aldi and Lidl (they are opposite each other where I live), but failed miserably. They only have a fraction of the choice of the bigger supermarkets, and what there is looks like the staff have been playing football with it. They have no concept of the plants they sell needing water. At the same time that the nearby Tesco was packed out, I could count Aldi's customers on two hands. The only hardware I've found was worse than the stuff I've seen on model show tool stalls. Where am I going wrong???

Perhaps you are forgetting to look at the price differential between Tesco ( I HATE that store ) and the cut price limited line discounters. TBH much of the stuff is as good or better than Tesco, and the satff in my local branches would leave the Tesco morons for dead when it comes to customer service.

I've had quite a few of the small hand tools etc. from both aldi & Lidl and we buy lots of food items in our local Lidl.

My other significant half is forever reading items in the papers where both Lidl and Aldi food products are rated better than most of the other supermarkets including often above M&S, and I certainly wouldn't pay their prices.

I always say I dont buy cheap I just go for less expensive. You have to ask the question, are goods that are twice the price twice as good. indecision

You pays your money and you takes your chance. smile

Alwyn

As an aside to a 'cheap tools' thread, looking for some tools to do the rest of MY life, I invested in some FERM kit a while ago, circular saw, sanders, multitool, heat gun etc. very reasonably priced gear with a three year warranty on everything. I love their stuff, it 'feels' good, does an excellent job and is very well made in Holland but don't expect any tutorials, it's obviously assumed that these are serious tools for the experienced so no 'baby sitting' required. I would place them above B & D and Bosch for quality but obviously not in the De Walter class. A good buy for me and any other cash strapped 'enthusiastic amateur' I might suggest?

I've got quite a few pieces from Lidl/Aldi over the years, Bench Drill, Scroll Saw, Heat Gun etc. You get the picture. All excellent value for money. However I found the Soldering Gun to be completely useless. Just not enough heat. Its gathering dust somewhere under the bench, I think, haven't seen it for ages.

Bought some Tronic NiMh batteries (2500mAh AA's) from Lidl just to see if they were any good. The price was right at £2.99 (i think) for a pack of 4. Worth a punt.

After 4 or 5 cycles they still only give me about 1000mAh. I intend to cycle them a few more times to see if they get better.

We buy 'fresh' food from either store but we've noticed it doesn't last as long as the market leaders. But the price is good so we buy little and shop often (Lidl is very close by)

Edited By Rentman on 14/08/2012 01:07:51