Southern Model Airshow 2015

Advert

The list of traders does not have all the stands that I would have hoped to see there. It doesn't seem that SLEC or Als Hobbies will be there.

Tickets at 12 pounds on the day seem a little steep too.  Dearer still if you are going alone and buy an advance ticket!  12.50 pounds!   Look out for the small print.  Further info here

Edited By kc on 06/09/2015 19:18:56

A booking fee if you book in advance! Making it dearer than paying on the day if you only book 1 ticket. And of course if you pay on the day there is no risk if you dont want to go if the weather is bad or your car breaks down etc.etc

No wonder there is this iniquitous booking fee ---just look at the organisers background

"The team behind Headcorn Special Events, have joined together from varied backgrounds in film, television, radio, music, education, aviation and security, "

For anyone visiting from further North than Kent make sure you realise how the new Dartford Bridge & Tunnel charge has to be paid before it is too late!

What happened to the Croydon club involvement? They ran the Hop Farm show for several years, and I thought they were behind the show at its new venue too. But apparently it's now "in association with the Maidstone Model Flying Club and in partnership with RCME magazine."

When did Maidstone club become involved, and if it's in partnership with RCME magazine do we get a discount as forum members? (Well, if you don't ask, you don't get...teeth 2)

P.S. Sorry about the broken link - but that's how it's shown on the event website... thinking  The BMFA club finder has a different URL for the Maidstone club,  but that doesn't work either, probably because it has a spooling misteke in it! crook 

Apparently the club contact is a certain Mr David Ashby. David - please sort out your club's URLS. Both the BMFA and the Headcorn event websites have different, incorrect URLs for your club website.

Edited By John Privett on 06/09/2015 22:18:52

I can't go as I'm working unfortunately, but £12.50 doesn't seem expensive to me. Having paid out numerous times over the summer holidays for entrance into various attractions £12.50 for a day out seems like a bargain to me!

I follow a league 2 football team and a ticket for a single game is £22, it's over in 90 mins, and It's not uncommon for me to go home more miserable than I arrived!

I thought I glimpsed George Clooney....pushing a claude butler push bike, but I turned round to double check and he was gone!!. Bit of a cross wind but did enjoy the Panic Team and the Steve Holland Lancaster, warbirds, and Best for me was the Decathlon duo slot amazingly tight syncro flight. But maybe that's my last one.Not as good as Hop Farm and never will be.Shame.

Dave p

Well I enjoyed it. Full size Spitfire and great flyby by the Dutch B25. TJD guys and the Lacaster were good as were the Horizon Team. Some good jets too. I left early (3.30) but had felt I'd had a decent day. Got a couple of bergains whilst I was there.

Also looked in on the lorry and truck tent. One of the chaps driving a large RC truck was responsible for getting me in model planes. He used to fly free flight power from a field down the road from where I lived as a boy. Small world.

Edited By David Ovenden on 12/09/2015 20:57:01

Seems to be getting tougher to please us show goers! I didnt attend but have thought the same of some shows in the last 3-4 years..

I have cut down the amount I go too; the smaller club run events seem more popular - only one problem with some of these.. no bargain tents to fill your bag in !!

We cant have it both ways - can we?

Certainly dont just want two main shows a year etc..

Long live our model events / shows yes

I went on Saturday and as last year there were very few traders,I did spend in Balsa Cabin on some depron which would have cost £10 postage,so that was worth the entrance fee.

I got the chance to have a conversation with David Ashby and his father - a couple of nice guys.

Credit where it's due,there were some nice models flown by some very good pilots who coped well with the cross wind and the skydivers!!

It would be good to see The Dawn Patrol there as well as a lot more traders as mentioned by others but I imagine that they do far better with internet sales now.

Interestingly,my son was with me and commented on the lack of things for kids,such as toffee bomber and the lunchtime trainer sessions on buddy leads.A fair point as this was done at the Hop Farm show and always attracted a lot of participants-my kids always enjoyed it,

This is the only show that I go to now and sadly I probably won't bother next year which is a shame as it has so much potential but after 3 years nothing has improved.

Greenacres always sounds fun so maybe I'll go there next year.yes

Yes credit where it is due of course, to the flyers, helpers etc.

Yes there was nothing for children there, traders thin on the ground, no Dawn Patrol, No SLEC, no Permagrit, I could go on but I don't want to sound gloomy. I live near the Dartford Tunnel, so I have a gateway to loads of other shows, and will venture Ooop North for the next one where I can see a full days flying without it being repeated every hour. I'll do a hotel stay overnight and maybe catch up with some of you guys.

Balsa Cabin said the sales were steady, but not busy, I guess Sunday was a bit of a wash out as well.

I did like Wings and Wheels at North Weald last year but missed it this year.

The move from the Hop farm resulted ina a poor show first time, it did pick up last year but again this year was lacklustre and I probably wont go again.

According to my John at TJD, they are looking at almost c£10k for a spot at such a show, and I guess the last one of the year may have been a show too far for some and I understand and respect that.

I did see a certain Mr Ashby wielding an Albatross... tell all, sir!