A new phone scam may be about

cymaz

This morning at 04:30 had two automated phone messages reportedly from my bank. These automated calls told me that a remote request had been sent wanting to set up a standing order on account ending in 0809 and for the amount of £6000.

If I didn't have the three digit pass code sent by email then I should press the star key or say star down the phone.

I did neither but phoned my 24 hr bank phone line which confirmed that they did not make the call.

Maybe if I had pressed the star key the callers could have control of my phone line??

Just a thought...as a precaution in the future any automated calls in the early hours will be deleted.

Perhaps the scammers are eying on you to be half asleep and just do exactly as they say.

Advert

Pressing the star button does nothing at all other than confirm that the phone number is working and, more importantly to those receiving the data, someone is willing to comply.

​Your number will then appear on a hot list of working numbers for scammers to target.

​It is the same as PPI calls etc which ask you to press 9 or whatever to opt out of future calls. Nothing of the kind happens and, because you've replied, you're signing up for more!

​Any phone call from anything such as this should be answered simply by hanging up.

They try anything don't they.

There is one going around the Island at the moment where a "company" based in London phones you to ask you to take part in a survey about the local finance industry... I put the phone down, but I understand they want you to go online and log in to something. Both our local police and Financial Services are asking anyone who gets these calls to report it to them.

I have to say that the very well spoken lady on the phone sounded very plausible.

Most will be aware of this but just in case some dont, be aware that some scammers will suggest you phone your bank to confirm the are legit, so you hang up (they dont) , you dial the bank (the line is still open so the dialing tones do nothing) the scammer comes back on the phone and tells you its your bank and that you should give your banking details to verify yourself...... bingo the scammer has all you details........

Remedy is to ensure that the line is clear before dialing the bank, better still use a different phone

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 07/10/2015 09:09:53:

Most will be aware of this but just in case some dont, be aware that some scammers will suggest you phone your bank to confirm the are legit, so you hang up (they dont) , you dial the bank (the line is still open so the dialing tones do nothing) the scammer comes back on the phone and tells you its your bank and that you should give your banking details to verify yourself...... bingo the scammer has all you details........

Remedy is to ensure that the line is clear before dialing the bank, better still use a different phone

Phew....I went downstairs and used that one! The original call was taken on the upstairs wander phone.

Posted by Dave Hopkin on 07/10/2015 09:09:53:

It's called call clearing and was intended for analogue line users back in the day when you wanted to pick up a call in another room. They would stay on the line and pretend to be the bank.

BT started to update networks and completed the work to stop call clearing by April 2014.

Edited By John F on 07/10/2015 11:36:44

So does that mean callers who (sometimes inadvertently) don't replace their receivers no longer tie up your line so you can't make calls? Unusually nowadays I guess, I almost never use my very cheap PAYG mobile phone to make calls but use our old-fashioned land line.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a text message from a +44 number along the lines of 'we have £3886.42 recovered from your accident claim just use this link to claim this money' not an exact quote as I have deleted the text. Important points are that there was no mention of my name (middle name etc) my address and if for real they would have sent a cheque. Don't get tempted by the the £ as soon as you link to the site they will have your ip address and/or will be trying to get your bank details, please delete the text and don't use the link and never NEVER give you bank details to any unsolicited contacts. Be safe it's a bit of a jungle out there !!!

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 07/10/2015 14:06:15:

Just had two similar from ** LINK** stating that I have a tax refund of £265.84 waiting to be claimed. Naturally they want all of my details including my bank a/c No. in order to pay it!

The link Martin posted is http:// gov .hmrc .mobile003 .co.uk/claim-tax-refund/overview.html and has nothing to do with 'gov' or 'hmrc', those prefixes are there purely to bamboozle you.
The domain in this link, ie the bit that actually matters, is 'mobile003.co.uk' and could belong to anyone. Check with whois:
Domain name: mobile003.co.uk
Registrant:  Tahira
Registrant type: UK Individual
Registrant's address:
The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their
address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Never click a link you dont fully recognise as a valid destination!!!

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 25/10/2015 00:08:28

Posted by cymaz on 24/10/2015 22:09:32:

The sender was from someone @ microsoft

Without knowing the source IP you cant tell who it was from Cymaz, SMTP doesnt have any mechanism to check that the apparent sender ('from' in the header) and the actual sender ('mailfrom' in the envelope) are the same or even valid mail addresses.

Even if you did find the source IP, it would be the address of a proxy somewhere in Russia or wherever.

Edited By Phil Green on 25/10/2015 00:35:01

Posted by Phil Green on 25/10/2015 00:29:51:
Posted by cymaz on 24/10/2015 22:09:32:

The sender was from someone @ microsoft

Without knowing the source IP you cant tell who it was from Cymaz, SMTP doesnt have any mechanism to check that the apparent sender ('from' in the header) and the actual sender ('mailfrom' in the envelope) are the same or even valid mail addresses.

Even if you did find the source IP, it would be the address of a proxy somewhere in Russia or wherever.

Edited By Phil Green on 25/10/2015 00:35:01

It was " [email protected]" that was what got the my alarm bells ringing.

Posted by cymaz on 25/10/2015 07:15:00:

It was " [email protected]" that was what got the my alarm bells ringing.

The scammers rely upon poor reading skills on our part and want you to respond as it says "microsoft" in the email address.

Posted by ken anderson. on 25/10/2015 07:29:00:

delete the said message and block the sender.....i would be a millionaire now with all the ppi claims i haven't pursued and the millions waiting in Nigerian banks. . .

Sometimes, if you block the sender they will know that a previous email worked and therefore update the lists to show the next rounds of scams using a different address that your email works and you are active.

The best thing to do is nothing. Just delete it.

Even legitimate companies who text you ask you to text "STOP" which, you would think, actually stops any further texts.  In reality they would have only sent that single text anyway and they get the money from you texting "STOP" back!

Sneaky!!

Edited By John F on 25/10/2015 08:19:12