Dust extractor

trebor

Anyone got any advise on keeping your workroom clear of sanding dust. I fancy getting something that's not too noisy to run all the time I'm sanding. I'm getting fed up cleaning everything afterwards. I can't run a normal vac cleaner all the time due to the noise.

Advert

I investigated various extraction options for a business I'm setting up. For the hobbyist, a normal (Henry or equivalent) vacuum is the best option. I have invested in an industrial vacuum, but the noise is much more than what is acceptable for home hobby use, albeit more effective.

An alternative is sanding inside a small polyethylene shell and then evacuating that once done.

For "standard" wood chips and dust, the range of dust extractors from Axminster tools are fine. They also do a good range of blast gates and fittings. There are a range of sizes/quality to suit your workshop size/budget.

These work fine for sawdust but ................. these are not specifically fine dust collectors. I have become sensitised to all the modelling adhesives and balsa dust so am looking at fine dust collectors. These are actually air filtration systems and claim to take all the fine particles out of the air such that that fine layer of dust on the bench in the mornings is no more. They can also provide fume extraction with a charcoal filter.

It would be nice to know if anyone uses these?

I have a SIP chip and dust extractor (a generic type much like the Record Power, Axminster ones) connected to my planer thicknesser, band saw and scroll saw, it works pretty well but blast gates controlling flow from each machine are essential these extractors don't have the puff to draw from each machine simultaneously. The noise level is reasonable. I also have a Record Power dust extractor mounted near the ceiling of my workshop this filters down to 1 micron particles. However to control dust from sanding you really need extraction close to the source of the dust, say no more than 150mm away a small vacuum cleaner is probably the best answer. I have a cheap bucket type bought from Screwfix mostly for floor cleaning but can be used close to sanding source, but like all machines of this type is fairly noisy, read noisiest thing in the workshop!

In my workshop builds, I use strategic ducts leading to a filter box and a 'quiet' fan mounted on an exterior wall. They don't have the pressure gradient of a vacuum cleaner, but they are quiet and they work. When the dust collection box gets full, you can shovel most of it out and the vacuum the filter.

I tried looking for one with a variable speed motor but not found anything yet, not too bothered about chippings it's just dust oh! and fumes. Ideally I could do with a flexi outlet pipe so I could poke it out of the window for fumes. I gave myself a panic session the other day using Zak foam safe kicker. Sat in a chair spotting small amounts of kicker on my vision went double, the room I was working in upstairs meant walking down stairs while seeing double which made me nearly panic just to get outside. It felt like a hospital job as I sat in the garden for quite a while so I won't be doing that again crying

I've got one of these, works really well. I put it at the end of the bench when doing anything really dusty or smelly and just hoover the front grille every now and then (turn the filter off 1st). The charcoal filters are easy to change every 3-6 months and seem to cope with cyano, thinner fumes etc. It's not too noisy and just needs the radio turned up a couple of notches.

My workshop also has a large Expelair wall extract fan, ducted to the outside, but I hardly ever use it now I've got this.

extract.jpg

Edited By Model Monster on 07/12/2015 13:30:58

Posted by Martyn Johnston on 09/12/2015 16:47:56:

Axminster have a deal on at the moment.

£50 off any Festool dust extractor.

I was sorely tempted but, even with that discount, can't see the difference between a posh Festool and a cheap vacuum cleaner.

Try running your vacuum cleaner all day and a) see how long it lasts and b) watch you electric meter spin ! wink 2

We use festools at work and they are good - but expensive.

Being from Yorkshire, we believe in using the cheapest methods. Work outside, preferable when a little breezy (like now). teeth 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Having another bout of bad breathing so looking at getting an air filter. Shocked when low sun highlighted the dust hanging in the air even after finished and removing mask! (I use both dust mask and fume masks as needed)

Looking at the Jet system and will look at the Microclene after the new year. Building on hold until resolved!

Any further advice to above welcome. (Yes I could go all foamy, but where’s the fun in that, no building.)

S

I bought a Jet air filtration system about 8 years ago. Worked well up until a few months ago, when the motor packed in; nice and quiet with three speeds. The filtration unit uses a standard-looking A/C filter. I sanded parts directly in front of the filter. All the fine dust goes straight into the filter (which can be cleaned out by banging against an outside wall). The heavier stuff falls onto the floor beneath where it is easily swept up.

The only snag was the cost, which IIRC was about 160 pounds, which stuck me as rather a lot for what is basically an electric motor in a tin box. I see that the current equivalent model is now over 300 pounds.

Thanks for the input guys, at the moment I’m weighing cost against how I’m breathing now. I’m asthmatic to boot which makes this a big issue for me at the moment, but an ongoing issue as well.

The Jet AFS 500 May well be in my sights. I’ll pop along to my nearest Axminster store in the New Year but as said, all opinions very welcome.

S

It depends what you are doing but for just sanding parts to exact shape it may be possible to reduce the dust by using a Permagrit block instead of glasspaper or disc sander.  The Permagrit seems to produce larger dust or dosn't throw it around so much as you don't need to put a frantic effort into the action. Just a few gentle but firm strokes can sand off a fair amount of balsa or ply without making clouds of dust. The Permagrit blocks seem expensive compared to glasspaper but all you really need is just the wedge shaped Permagrit block.

For sanding the whole model to a fine finish surely waiting for a windy day and sanding outdoors is the thing!

It also occurs to me that we could make up a gadget somewhat like the cabinets used in laboratories to keep chemical fumes away from people- i.e. a transparent box with slots at front to put your hands inside whilst you still view the work from above through the sloping glass or perspex top, perhaps with a simple extractor fan at back to exhaust outdoors.

Edited By kc on 26/12/2019 12:51:09

Edited By kc on 26/12/2019 12:52:02

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I use appropriate masks when sanding and spraying. The problem is the airborne particles that float around in the air after sanding or spraying. I noticed how much of a problem it was one day recently when the sun shone through the window. The garage looked as if it was full of airborne dust which didn’t settle for a long time.

I hadn’t realised how much hangs in the air.

S

Hi,

two weeks ago I invested in one of these - https://www.toolsandtimber.co.uk/tools/dust-extraction/workshop-air-filtration as I am now under the hospital for inflamed throat caused by workshop dust.

The difference is amazing. I think the one I bought is more powerful than the jet 500., which means I keep it on all the time when in the workshop on the 1st setting. the noise is acceptable.