Which kind of models can be flown at your site?

Beth Ashby Moderator

Advert

Although a member of two clubs, i will restrict my comments to the club which i act as secretary.

Our club has two distinct parts, the RC and FF sections. Initially a consequence of flying Barcs and Bmfa competitions.

Both locations are NT properties.

Noise is the big issue for the RC field, being acutely aware of the nuisance that this can be to many. One of our flying locations is directly adjacent to a bird sanctuary. Again we know of examples in our locality wherea nature wardens have acted arbitrarily trying to prevent another club flying. Again we are cautious with respect to all wild life. Although it is apparent and there is evidence that birds both know and work out quickly that model aircraft are no threat.

So what do we fly, in the recent past open gliders, 100s and then F3b and various electrification of these models types. More recently foamies of the Radian types are possibly 50%.

We also fly small electric sports models. Although the landing is the trickiest, being a rough field in set aside.

The other field does allow IC as a consequence of the estate allowing aeromodelling activities within the park land and before the owners death committing to paper his wish for the activity to continue, before the transfer to the NT (on death). The site is shared with another club, to which our FF section is affiliated. Again the part of the club is very respectful of the privilege.

Repeating, for us noise is a major issue, and respect to the environment and all wildlife we encounter or come near to contacting.

A pity this poll is so concentrated on relatively small engine sizes. So many models these days are 20-30cc (or electric equivalent) and many are larger than this, so it seems strange to stop at 10cc (.61). On the other hand, I would have thought relatively few sites are suitable for jets. So an "anything apart from jets" category might have been more useful? There may also be an FPV or rotary wing issue at some sites and that is not covered in this poll.

Not another poll!!! How much data do you need!?! Google, Twitter and many others collate information on us all the time which is viewed on by "big brother" - the Services. Now I'm not saying anything on this site is that important that it needs to be spied on but I do question motives in all of this. frown

Posted by ASH. on 14/12/2015 23:19:45:

Not another poll!!! How much data do you need!?! Google, Twitter and many others collate information on us all the time which is viewed on by "big brother" - the Services. Now I'm not saying anything on this site is that important that it needs to be spied on but I do question motives in all of this. frown

Its only a bit of fun, ASH... and you don't have to answer the question... wink

Regarding Phil's opening comment. We can fly anything and I am tempted to lay out a Control Line circle... Free flight would be Ok but we have far too many trees - they catch enough radio models so FF would be very touch and touch and occasionally go.

Radio flying - we have (almost) unrestricted 24x7, our strip is just about long enough for a jet to get airborne. We have also landed a full size autogyro on our strip - which was very entertaining to watch. Not sure we could cater for much above 1/3 scale though on a regular basis. Probably just a bit too big

Martyn

Secretary - SCRCS - Middlewich, Cheshire

Facilities to operate just about anything off grass in our club, although we limit new members to 65cc engines and for the time being at least we are not taking drones - although we do allow existing members to fly them (only two out of 120 so hardly a big interest really).

Edited By Cuban8 on 15/12/2015 09:47:53

Posted by Engine Doctor on 15/12/2015 09:55:57:

Ineffective poll as not enough choice of disciplines so can't vote . What about Free Flight, large Glow/petrol 50cc plus, Helicopters,Quads and turbines . For instance aclub could fly everything else except turbines . Start again .smiley

This for me too.

Posted by Phil Green on 14/12/2015 17:44:42:

I wonder which sites still allow free-flight?
Would have been an interesting to see that as an option.

We do, Phil. Our site is one of the few in the south-east that are suitable for free flight and around 30% of our membership claim to fly free flight models. A little under 20% say they fly only free flight (the 30% includes those who fly R/C as well.)

• 2 weeks later...