Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?

Advert

I was in the Midlands and the skies certainly looked good for most of the time. It was the bits you couldn’t see that were the problem i.e. the freezing cold and gusting wind that got worse!

I have to confess that I’m well advanced in the wimp category these days. The porage isn’t doing the trick and although my vest might have a few moth-holes, it ain’t a string one! At least the porage is staying in.

I do admit that as a club we are all MAD , Sunday actually had over 90% turn out , with only one missing , with a cold , the rest of us just were !!(cold that is ).( also a very small club !!)

The NE wind was a bit gusty and it was really cruel to fly something like the Luton but enthusiasm overcame all obstacles !It was its first proper "maiden " so caution was thrown to the wind , ( Pun??)

and getting out of the house is magic !

Pete

Finally cloudy with no rain and S.S.E. wind of only--------8 mph, Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!

Great day for flying, lets phone lads--------------------

Then the phone calls bring me back down to earth with a bump, due to other hobbies, hospital visits, colds, flu and general bad health, only a half fit Paul can come.

Still up to the field we go feeling nervous at first due to the enforced layoff but soon the inhibitions disappeared and soon the two of us were looping and rolling to our hearts content. We managed two hrs splendid flying time before Paul relapsed and we had to call it to a halt for the day.

Still we got out there for the first time this year and it can only be upwards from now on.

I had my first flights of 2018 yesterday at the slope. With a light westerly wind and no rain forecast I headed for the hill taking an Alula Trek HLG and another lightweight model. The Trek has flown as an HLG but I soon found that its’ trim was wrong for the slope. The elevator was far too sensitive even on low rates. With 15g of ballast, down trim and reduced control movements it was much better but still a bit ‘bouncy’. Managed a few flights and then got my other model trimmed out and going well. We only stopped flying when it got cold later in the afternoon. There's quite a difference in trim and setup for the Trek, and my other gliders, between flat field and slope flying.

Went up to the field today, interesting flying in and out of low cloud / mist and smoke from the factory! Drizzle turned into rain then back to light drizzle the rain catching me out mid flight with the Wots Wot XL. Still our new club pop up gazebo was put to good use. I can also confirm that a WWXL only needs ailerons on one wing, I lost the pushrod on the port wing during a flight which made the rest of the flying interesting! I thought it felt a bit sluggish still it came down in one piece!

42bd4c06-27a1-4732-a7d4-5a64a0076b78.jpeg

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 08/01/2018 18:40:26:

The gloves recommended by Geoff that I ordered yesterday arrived today! I ordered a 5,000 mah power pack from Argos this morning and it arrived at 4.00pm! It all works. Also I remembered that sitting in the wardrobe unused is a battery heated under-jacket waistcoat that my son bought me a while ago and I’d forgotten! I’ve put the batteries in and that’s working. Bring on the freeze, I’m prepared.21059812-b10a-4236-9922-c2d245cc0a3a.jpeg

I, too, have purchased a set.

For information, each pad draws just over 600mA. I find that when I have the pair working off a small power pack of the type mentioned in an earlier post, which is rated at 5V/1A, the current draw of 1.2A causes the pack to shut down after about 5 minutes. There is no mention of the pack's capacity on the case, but it was fully and freshly charged. A 20% overload shut-off protection level seems reasonable enough to me. Pulling the plug from one of the pads drops the current to 0.6A and the pack will handle this without problem.

I also have a larger power pack, marked as 7000mAh. This has 2 USB sockets, one rated at 1A "For iPhone 4S" and one rated at 2.1A "For iPad". My main use is for off-car use of my satnav when away cycling in foreign parts - "just in case", as I have a rotten sense of direction. The heating pads work perfectly off this 2.1A socket, so that looks like the type of power pack to go for.

The pads definitely heat up well. The gloves are just a little bit neat for me, but perfectly wearable. I have a 9" palm measurement (around the base of the thumb/first finger joint, excluding the thumb). As mentioned previously, the pads are separate from the mitts and can be worn with any glove you choose.

I may have lost mine - my wife tried on the pads with a pair of her own gloves. And liked them . . .

Went flying Sunday, perfect conditions, flat calm, bone dry and reasonably warm too. Slight cheat here of course in that I went to an indoor meeting! Although my club holds an indoor meet monthly this was a totally different kind of meet as it was my first ever all free flight indoor event. What a totally fascinating day! Great people with incredible skills, and as a bonus the 3 planes I took along flew really well too. Add to that an awesome fish and chip lunch and you have the perfect day out!

I had hoped that today would be my first day out flying in 2018. The weather here has not been to bad, other than high wind, with some occasional rain.

The nearest I have been to flying was last weekend, when I returned to where I previously lived do some work for my daughters, I was finished by midday, so I called in at my old club. As I anticipated, many of the members were there flying. There was the odd complaint about the wind, although initially to my mind pretty calm, as the minutes ticked by I felt the cutting wind. It did seem a little strange being at an old club, many were unknown to me, having joined since I left, a good sign, a healthy vibrant club.

Watching the models taking of, one by one it was apparent that many were being affected by the wind. The field now having some of the offending trees removed on the approaches, allow an ideal flight track to be used. However the trees around the field seem to be moving forward, encroaching ever more. As is usual, one of the models i looked forward to see flying, resolutely refused to oblige, much to the frustration of its owner. No amount of advice, or help changed anything. It sat there. I watched a real beauty, to my eyes arrive, the sort of plane I would love, if I could only afford the batteries. This one however was powered by a 30cc engine of some make or other. The names of IC motors these days just pass straight over my head. The model flew majestically, flown with spirit, doing the sort of aerobatics I like, a roll here, a half Cuban there I believe. Non of this schedule stuff, that I personally find so boring, free style, undertaken in the way that a Spacewalker would by a pilot for fun.

The cold got to me , particularly when volunteers were wanted for field maintenance. They did not need my help, as enough of the club were there to do the job quickly. Off home I went.

Then came Wednesday, a club flying day (as a group), There was a real blow, I decided to accompany my wife for a walk on the beach. As we climb over the sand dunes, I was looking to gauge, can these dunes be flown as a slope soarer site. Not where we were they could not, further along the coast maybe. Christmas having gone, so have the holiday and short stay visitors. Not that many locals walking the beach, but oh my God, the wind is so incessant. We finally arrived at a car park, where a low wooden railing acts as a barrier. Much to my surprise Common Gulls (the small ones as opposed to the giant ones at Blackpool, Herring Gulls?) were slope soaring on the slight incline, passing over and under the wooden rail. Their efficiency and accuracy surprises me.

Today the rain continues to descend, I am now of to my Flight Simulator. I need a good stiff drink to re-enforce my fortitude.

Edited By Erfolg on 20/01/2018 13:26:04

I had to look up who Jack Hardgreaves was, I am absolutely certain it is a compliment that it is undeserved. All the same it is a compliment I appreciate.

I am now going back to the flight simulator, bizarrely it is the lack of feeling the wind that really detracts from the experience, which I so often complain about at the field. The only real clue is the representation of a model going backwards on the strip. The other very annoying aspect, I either can see the ground, from peripheral vision when flying a real model, or I sneak a glance. Not sure which. All of which means I am less than confident that my manoeuvres such as Loops, some parts of inverted flight and stall turns , and so on, are any good at all. But boy, am i good at low inverted passes, even hesitation rolls on a simulator. With the real thing, there would be a lot of litter to pick up.

Just bring on the sun and light breezes. Where my true level of skill is so apparent.

It is Phoenix Paul. I have it only for a short time.

I have upped the airspeed, increased the % gusts and thermals. Does this stay with all models and locations?

How do I get to see the ground as well as the model. Not seeing the hill side is quite an issue when using the slope option. As when yo push out,the ground disappears. When i then start a figure of "8" I do not know where I am coming back to the hillside.

I am guessing that at the end of the day, all is compromise.