Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?

Advert

Not today, but I went slope soaring yesterday at my local slope - Colley Hill. Quite good conditions with a 20mph or so southerly, and so mild that it wasn't until the final flight of the day (just before sunset) that I bothered with the hat and gloves.

Today was looking flyable for a while (for power flying), the wind wasn't as strong as forecast, but just as I was about to go out down came the rain.

Not me.

I've also given up building new models as I have run out of room. I'm now sorting out the restorations and when I've done them I will be sorting out my boat restorations. If I haven't had the opportunity to crash any by then I will have to resort to my plastic kit collection !

face 7

Got out at 9-30 with my Sebart S Bach and Acrowot Foam e with the glued back nose. Wind was about 15 mph and cold enough for gloves. Pleased to say that the Acrowot flew as normal but getting back in that wind was not elegant on landing . I notice that the wooden motor mount is coming loose again despite Gorilla glue so Foam is compressing again. It's had 250 flights so not too bad I suppose. Field is very wet. You notice the lack of practice in this awful wet, windy winter.Colin

Couple of hours this morning - field is still doing a pretty good imitation of a primordial swamp, grass quite long and very wet - decided to dust off the Bixler and take that as the wind was quite blustery and was too scaredy pants to rick a model I care about!

Wind about 15mph gusting 25ish - perishing cold on the old fingers..... three other Pilots/Idiots* (Delete as appropriate) out in the wind,mud and cold.

Since I last flew it, the Bixler has grown flaps, first flight hand launch couple of click of down trim needed, tried the flaps on the upwind leg coming towards me - nothing too unpleasant happened...

Second flight I decided to see if it would ROG, first attempt ended in a nose over, reset try again, Hmmm I though maybe a bit of flap would help..... needed full power to get any speed in the grass, then airbourne... WOOOAH - talk about homesick angel - lesson learnt - you got to be quick taking of the power once off the ground!!!!

Couple more flights playing around with the flaps and trying to do harrier landing on the dryer spots of the field

Good to get in the air again.........

It's been lovely here; somewhat chilly first thing but from about 10:00 onwards it's been blue skies, no wind to speak of and temps up to 17/18c. My friends and I have been flying at the club field on Xmas day, yesterday and today.

I've flown my MPX Acromaster, Fun Cub and Solius, Kyosho Calmato ST, VQ Spacewalker, HK Hummer and Hacker Hotwing.

Pretty much a good result I think.

Steve.

Totally out of the blue today, a windless, sunny day, with the thermometer hovering around just above freezing, but feeling much warmer in the sun and a brilliant few hours at the filed. Absolutely marvellous. Didn;t fancy any maiden flights with rusty thumbs having not flown properly for a month or so, which made it a case of taking some old favourites to the filed, but the Spitfire and Mosquito looked great carving up those blue skies with the hills in the background. Medium range forecast suggests that Friday could be similar, for a good start to the New Year.

It was a very so-so day today but it wasn't actually raining and the wind was light so I wrapped up well and took the new Tiger Moth up to Ashbourne. Not as cold as I thought it might be but visibility was only just OK. I assembled the Moth and did the usual tests - range, taxi, fast taxi etc and it seemed OK but I needed a personal check flight as well so got the Riot assembled. I found a piece of foam on the runway but couldn't think where it came from.

I took off and had a 10 minute semi aerobatic flight with a few touch and goes and tried to trim the elevator. It wasn't a big deal but it did seem to want to climb and even maximum trim didn't cure. It wasn't until I landed that I found out where the errant piece of foam came from - the elevator joining wire fixing frown. I'd done the whole flight with only half an elevator. Didn't seem to make much difference except for being a bit out of trim. It's a great little model!

After that little saga it was time to check the Tiggie. Take off was easy and it flew beautifully with just a little aileron trim needed. According to my current telemetry it was drawing only about 20 amps for steady level flight and the highest current draw was 47 amps as I climbed in a loop. After the 5 minute signal I did a circuit and came in for a smooth landing - success! The totally rigid undercarriage didn't seem to be a problem and the fat tyres absorbed the touch down easily.

Specification:

DB 58" Tiger Moth

Power EMax GT3526/04 on 4000 MAh 4S LiPo and 60 amp Black Mantis esc. 13x4 HK propeller.

Take off weight 3.14 kg.

Rudder wasn't needed for turns. Ailerons set to 20mm up and 10 mm down differential.

And here it is before the test flight:

db acdc 3.jpg

Geoff

Been rubbish weather here for weeks on end. But today was perfect no wind day at last! Just flew the small p51 on 3 batteries for half an hour, was great to put it in the air at long last. Waiting to get a good day to fly Hawker tempest!

The tempest is a top rc. hobby one 800MM span and looks great..... hope to keep it that way!!

Anyone else here flown this model? Century UK video of it flying looks good!