Winters Here Who's Been Flying ?

Posted by john stones 1 on 27/12/2015 17:17:02:

3 flyers and 4 visitors, not cold and great to have a few hours out, grass is still growing and no chance of getting mowers on.

John

Our grass is fairly long but we have tarmac too so it's not so important for us. What I did notice today were clouds of gnats flying. Surely they shouldn't be in such numbers in December?

Geoff

Advert

Posted by Masher on 27/12/2015 16:38:43:

Nice to see you posting again David, are you settled over there now?

Yes decided to retire here. Going to pay French taxes in the coming year and a government-approved language course to improve my French.

i've found a nice club, "Berry Marche Aeromodellisme" aka "B2M" which has good fascilities including a ten metre wide tarmac runway. Having been used to a much wider one in Shropshire, my landings have improved!

Nice bright sunny morning here in Somerset with the wind forecast spot on at 10 mph due south. Unfortunately that's the wrong direction for the bit of concrete available and the patch is sopping wet and grass now too long as its still growing . So its out with the HK Foamy S Bach and Sebart Angel, and crosswind take offs and landings. No problems apart from arthritic right thumb playing up. Had four flights and only the last landing saw the Angel skidding down the whole of the concrete and going a over e onto the mud ! As usual for the last ten weeks no one else out despite being the best day for ages ! Colin

I had a couple of flights yesterday as the conditions - whilst not good - were better than they've been for the past week. Horrible, turbulent wind across the strip meant I didn't risk flying the Katana a second time after an "interesting" landing approach... And even the usually reliable Pushycat hit a "lump" of air on landing and did a minor cartwheel slightly dislodging one of the tail booms.

Today is looking better, but I'll be out for the rest of the day, then back to work tomorrow.

I have just been looking at my clubs Christmas Period flying schedule.

God dam education, now that I can almost read, i have spotted that today, a fine sunny day, is a no fly day. I think! Playing spot the "Yellow Custard" car, whilst in a traffic jam with the 5 year old granddaughter, I managed to get to 5, then went to 8. On getting out of the car, she said to her father, oh dear, granddad does not know his numbers. Another failing of state education it would seem.sad

Tomorrow is scheduled for torrential rain again in this the Northern Power House. So no flying on that flying day.angry

I bet it is all sunshine, with a wall to wall Scirocco , in France. Plus baguettes, a good bottle of red wine, all to go with Camembert.crying 2

It appears that our flying field at club No1. is totally saturated, with a giant lake covering most of it. Club No.2 is a bit squelchy, although the main concern to me is the height and speed of the Mersey, as the field sits in a oxbow, with approach road/lane at a much lower level than the field.

I am hopeful for the new year.laugh

Edited By Erfolg on 29/12/2015 13:36:06

A lovely couple of hours with the WOT this morning sunny, windy and nobody else from the 60 strong club! Great conditions for practising landing and take off, not because of the 15mph wind but because of the sheep feet size holes all over the pitch - just the right size for wheels to get stuck in.

That's it - had enough today - I'm not planning to fly again until next year!

At least I can claim the last flight of the year at our club. Flew my last one in the gathering darkness at about 16.30 (illuminated model) just before the heavens opened. Was anyone out later than this?

Here's to light winds and sunny skies in 2016!

I wasn't flying today, but Martin's account reminds me of my attempt, 16 years ago, to have the last flight of the millennium.

31 Dec 1999, a few of us were flying and I decided I wanted to have the last flight of the millennium, so continued flying as others packed up to go home. Having achieved my goal (or so I thought) I noticed one of the few others still there begin to re-fuel his model. Clearly he too was determined to get the last flight. And so we alternated a couple more flights, neither saying anything to the other, but both knowing what the other was doing.

Soon it was getting to the limits of what we could do in the limited light. I had a very short flight - take off, circuit and land. He then lined up, took off and immediately landed straight ahead. So we shared the honours. He may have had the last flight, but I had the last 'proper' flight!

It turns out (I wasn't there early enough) the following day, the other guy also bagged the first flight of 2000.

I went out on Tuesday with a friend, Michael Hayter, to fly a 4/3 size Ebenezer free flight model with a DC Wasp for propulsion; does that count?

We usually aim to go on Christmas Day, but timing is a bit flexible depending on when the weather cooperates. Michael reckons he's been flying at the same location for 70 years now.

This year involved a retrieve from a tree; fortunately despite the hail of sticksto dislodge it, we got the Ebenezer down without damage. A previous occasion saw another Ebenezer, a Fokker D7, end up in the neighbouring lake and a trip home for an inflatable dinghy to go and get it. The weather was a lot colder that time than it was this year!

Just got back from patch ! Waste of time ! Wind 15 mph plus gusts from south not east as forecast.Took Wots Wot and Parkzone Typhoon . Table I use wanted to blow over and assembling the Wot would have been a nightmare trying to hold onto it. 1 flight with the Typhoon almost hovering into wind and vertical landing after failed first attempt ! Forecast for next week is same old same old but colder. In 27 years of modeling I can't remember such a long period of inaction ! Colin

Posted by cymaz on 01/01/2016 08:39:11:

Looking at T.W.O. , the forecast is abismal. I will now go outside and shout at the rain face 17

Yes, this afternoon might be ok down here in the south-east, though rain is forecast at about 3pm. Then heavy rain is forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Then back to work again on Monday - not that the weather looks much better during the week...

On the positive side, sunset is now later than 4pm again - evening flying is only a few weeks months away now.

Posted by John Privett on 01/01/2016 10:46:28:

Yes, this afternoon might be ok down here in the south-east, though rain is forecast at about 3pm.

Well I did get out for one flight. There was quite a strong, turbulent wind, reasonably aligned with the strip though, and it was a bit chillier than we've got accustomed to so far this winter. But then the rain arrived, somewhat ahead of the BBC's schedule. Looks like that will be my only flight this year until the 9th or 10th January.

Posted by Martin Harris on 31/12/2015 20:59:05:

That's it - had enough today - I'm not planning to fly again until next year!

Happy New Year all,

Well, I managed to honour my pledge and held off until this morning. wink

I was a little miffed to miss the first flight of the year at our club - but then I'm not a morning person! At least I claimed the first IC flight...

Flying conditions were a lot better than yesterday - but for the first time this winter, fingers were a limiting factor - just 3 degrees C on the way to the field.