Andys 120% ballerina

AndyD

A year or so ago I went along to the dentist and had a filling, £47.

A couple of weeks later it fell out.  I went back and they replaced it free of charge. I thought "Great, I have some spare cash!!"

Got back to the car in the free carpark but I had forgotten to get a ticket. £25 fine! You have to have a ticket to show how long you have been in there. 3 Hour limit.

Edited By Peter Miller on 13/03/2016 09:28:03

lovely day flying then on the 5th flight she went into a uncontrollable spin,but then at the last min with calm and precision flying (Bucket loads of luck) she levelled out on a downwind swoop and landed on her wheels in the next field,slight tear and crack on the balsa tip nothing a plaster wont fix,left ailron servo siezed in the up position,previously she was matching speed and acrobatics with a petrol powered yak and doing it much quieter.001.jpg

Hi Lucas,it was a new power hi-torque,about 8-10 kg i think,ive had quite a few of them over the last couple of years this being the 1st to give me any trouble but as they say you are surposed to raise your heart rate at least once aday,ive had my months supply to day not mentioning everyone watching who thought this is it.i shall take it out latter and investigate.

Hi Andy,

... sjeesh... that's a real "ppfff" on a nice & calm day ... surprise

But on the other side, as you state, if it's only the wing tip, you 'll manage it in no time.

I'm pretty sure now that I will never 'maiden' the Bella myself... bbrrr... !

Nearly hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Bella Maiden Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 20/03/2016 17:28:48

not sure about cool head more like hot botty.

taken the culprit servo out and the gears are fine but soon as i split the cases a distinct smell of burning,nothing obvious but wont be investigating any further,bin and replace,was not very happy with them on the ballet,they might of been high torque but were very slow,she will be ready for the bank hols even if the weathers not.

Posted by AndyD on 20/03/2016 21:49:26:

not sure about cool head more like hot botty.

taken the culprit servo out and the gears are fine but soon as i split the cases a distinct smell of burning,nothing obvious but wont be investigating any further,bin and replace,was not very happy with them on the ballet,they might of been high torque but were very slow,she will be ready for the bank hols even if the weathers not.

These ailerons are not big, so 2 to 2.5 kgcm should be plenty. Unless you want to do snap rolls, with the corresponding big throws. But then you have the wrong plane to start with...

Getting a plane with one aileron locked in its extreme position down in one piece is an achievement you can be pleased with!

Lucas

Sorry Peter, I did not intend to insult you. But not many "golden era" planes do snap rolls, so it feels out of place for a plane like the Ballerina.

Maybe it is just my avarsion to them: we have them in the F3A schedule, and it means setting the ailerons up so enough throw is available. That decreases the accuracy for all other manouvres. Also when judging I am never sure if the plane is stalled or whether I see a very fast barrel roll - it goes too fast.

Lucas

I just like throwing the model around. The only time she flies straight and level is when she is inverted.

Try a couple of my favourites.

Square loops with a half roll on each leg.

Four loops with a quarter roll on the upward part of the loop. THis one is tricky in any wind as the idea is four touching loops at 90 degrees to each other.

The throws given in the article work really well.

first thing there was a bit of a stiff breeze so landing was less than walking pace more or less hovering a couple inchs off the deck but then you could hit the throttle and shes gone,as she floats a bit i was a bit worried about the wind thinking she might be blown all over the place but she handled it with ease so anyone else thinking about doing one forget the thinking and start building.yes