Nostalgia aint what it used to be........

Dave Hopkin

Advert

I can recall shirts with tails long enough NOT to slide out from your pants. Things I'm glad to see go - collar studs, plastic collars (the RAF eventually got collar attached shirts in '63), boots, army pattern (hob-nail ones), brass buttons and Brasso. Did anyone mention 'Brylcreem'? laugh

Things I also dislike - the Americanisation of things - spelling words with 'z' instead of 's', putting dates backwards, devaluing a 'billion' from 10^12 to 10^9 (that's actually a 'milliard', antennas for aerials (actually the plural is antennae but then Latin isn't taught it seems)

Posted by kc on 08/02/2016 12:58:27:

I wonder when long trousers at school became normal at any age?

I started secondary school in 1969. Nearly all the boys wore long trousers from the first-year upwards, the few that didn't on day one were generally doing so by half-term. I don't think any of the new first-years in following years were not wearing long trousers on day one.

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 08/02/2016 21:29:09:

Things I also dislike - the Americanisation of things - spelling words with 'z' instead of 's', putting dates backwards, devaluing a 'billion' from 10^12 to 10^9 (that's actually a 'milliard', antennas for aerials (actually the plural is antennae but then Latin isn't taught it seems)

I've seen it claimed that spelling words with a 'z' is actually the old-English way. Whereas we have changed at some point to using 's', the Americans had kept the old way.

Billions, I don't know... I've always regarded a billion as 10^9. As for back-to-front dates, I agree - their way is just plain silly!

I started secondary school in '66 in short trousers and had exactly the same experience - by the second term I'd persuaded my mother to buy me long trousers - and as I recall, there was only one boy in the whole year who made it to the end of the year with both knees on show (ripped trouser knees were a common occurrence at 11 or 12 of course).

I do remember feeling rather aggrieved when the BBC started reporting financial figures in American "short" billions but I'd guess that would have been around the beginning of the 70s.

Having been brought up on imperial measurements until the age of 11, I still find my distance measurement is in that system. All secondary school and onwards was conducted in S.I. but ask me to visualise 300mm and I do a mental conversion to a foot...

I for one still buy Vesta curries from Home Bargains bonfires n Bommie night in the street or on the" oller "or bombdey Both mean cleared bombed site. Bangers like thunderflashes In fact them too if you could lay hands on some ( Brothers in the forces   Roasting Tatties in the fire embers.Without foil on them.Wasn't available then LOL Picking the crust off and sprinkling salt on em My first all balsa parlour flyer when i was 5 and getting taken to a RTP exhibition at the same age in 1948 Upstairs in Rushworth and Dreaper in London Rd Liverpool I already liked planes but the flame really got lit then First engine Allbon Javelin Still got it 49/11 About £2.50 Oh I forgot Amco . 87 given to me minus carb S ill have 'nt fixed it yet . No available spares All sheet Frog and KK models. In school hols able to see the "Weather Spit " fly over in line with our back yard and giving a wave and gettng a wingwaggle back. if I was quick Would I go back For those things YES but some others No

Anything will " FLY " given enough thrust dept John

"Camp" coffee--chicory essence in a bottle with a scots guardsman on the front . . Toys with comics --the " Thunder clap " , a triangular piece of cardboard with some brown paper stuck on two edges ,folded inside and when brought down sharply opened out causing a loud bang . Whizzers ---round star shaped discs with two holes through which you threaded a loop of string ,wound up and twisted to make the whizzing noise .

Remember "Corkwork "----A cotton reel with 4 small nails hammered in around the hole ,winding wool around the outside of the nails ,flicking the bottom row of wool over the top and bringing it out through the hole to form a plaited cord of wool .

Cutting notches on the edges of a cotton reel ,putting a rubber band through the cork ,through a piece of candle with a matchstick on the other end winding it up and seeing the "Tank" roll along.

The game of "Five stones .

Cutting out the drawings of cowboys and fences etc. on the back of Weetabix boxes to create your own ranch .

Remember and have done them all. But, Camp coffee is still available and I still use it, although its not as nice as when made with steralised milk. Mainly used now to make coffee flavoured butter cream iceing and iced coffee in the summer(if and when they happen).

Started secondary school September 1959 with long trousers from the start.

Cereal packets - what about the constructional offerings on the back of the box. IIRC one I made was for a rocket launched with 'laccy bands.

'Toys with comics --the " Thunder clap " , a triangular piece of cardboard with some brown paper stuck on two edges ,folded inside and when brought down sharply opened out causing a loud bang'-

The first comic that had these clappers was the Beezer which was first published in about 1956 / 7 . After a limited number of claps the brown paper would shear.

Hand knitted bathing trunks that weighed a ton , and hung down to your knees when you came out of the water .

Dan Dare jackets .

Calamine lotion to treat sunburn .

A big dollop of cod liver oil and malt .

One third pints of school milk along with cod liver oil in orange juice .

Being "checked out" by the visiting school nurse ! ! !

Ah yes visits by "nitty nora"....

Everyone shouting "mind me scab" after the TB jabs

DAPs in the gym- I wonder how many will know what they are?

Snake Belts

Cut out and fold animal heads from cornflake (I think) cornflake boxes

Being told off for rumaging down into the cereal box to find the small plastic toy

Gloves with string sewn on and threaded through your coat sleeves

Setting fire to Airfix planes and "gliding" them out of the bedroom window

inkwells and the pens we used to make spears with and also play darts with them...the local shop that used to sell you 1 cig and a match for 2d!..... cossack hairspray--you could now use for modelling app's..the hop along cassidy watch that got confiscated off me..for telling everyone not long to home time teeth 2 who was hop along cassidy i hear you all say...

ken anderson ....ne...1..... 2p cig dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 09/02/2016 12:55:05

Anyone too young to remember Hopalong Cassidy can look it up here

They wil probably not remember getting a second TV channel in the 1950's and then a third channel in the 1960's. Having only 2 or 3 channels meant everyone saw the same programmes and discussed them next day.

Of all the TV westerns I thought The Virginian was the best - shown about 1969-70.

That and the surprised expression of the BBC announcer when he realised that the Virginian wore a red shirt (when colour came along). As a service engineer back then I recall some gaffes (and 'jokes' - when the RTE announcer heard NASA saying (during the moon landing) "We're receiving your sync pulses" and solemnly telling everyone that the black bars on the NASA monitor were the 'sync pulses' (actually they were interference patterns similar to the 'backwards rotating wheels' you see on wagons on TV). Richard Dimbleby's 'Spaghetti Trees' episode in Panorama., which had the BBC having to issue an apology when people tried to buy one (not overlooking the biblical quotation when he thought the mic was dead during a state visit to Germany, causing another apology). Raymond Baxter at Farnborough not quite understanding why the visiting Russian Air Force wanted the 'BBC' badges , the Fairey Delta 2 being described as a 'subsonic research aircraft'. I could go on but probably others have their own memories angel